ADVERTISEMENT

OT: FA Cup

MadRU

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2001
Wigan just upset Manchester City. The cup is now wide open

Spurs have return match at Wembly to advance. Manchester United and Chelsea still in it.

Can somebody explain this to me again?

Like a Triple A team beating a MLB.

Correct analogy?

Actually more like a double A team.

The levels are:

Premier League
Championship
League One
League Two

Wigan is in the top three of League One.

Rochdale is at the bottom of League One, they tied with Spurs forcing a replay at Wembly.

Sheffield Wednesday is in the Championship level. They tied Swansea forcing a replay.

Actually more like a double A team.

The levels are:

Premier League
Championship
League One
League Two

Wigan is in the top three of League One.

Rochdale is at the bottom of League One, they tied with Spurs forcing a replay at Wembly.

Sheffield Wednesday is in the Championship level. They tied Swansea forcing a replay.

Remember the FA Cup includes teams from ALL levels, including "club" teams, and competition includes a total of 736 teams on a yearly basis. NUTS!!

Sunday; Gunners vs (edit) City for League Cup title!

Last edited:
For the top teams still alive in all comps, it is a grind with all of the extra games and travel. The Europa League is the one that's a little nuts IMO - all battling for 1 spot in the CL. Arsenal has a good chance - probably them or Dortmund.

Reactions: cicero grimes
For the top teams still alive in all comps, it is a grind with all of the extra games and travel. The Europa League is the one that's a little nuts IMO - all battling for 1 spot in the CL. Arsenal has a good chance - probably them or Dortmund.

Yeah the Gunners are funny. Lose games to the worst teams in the EPL but win lots of FA Cups and now are in a League Cup Final and possibly playing for the Europa slot into CL lol!

You ever take a look at the summer "play-in" schedule for the teams in the FA Cup that are NOT among the lucky 92 in the "league"? Crazy!

Reactions: Beancounter88
Remember the FA Cup includes teams from ALL levels, including "club" teams, and competition includes a total of 736 teams on a yearly basis. NUTS!!

Sunday; Gunners vs Chelsea for League Cup title!
Actually, it's Gunners vs Man City. Citeh tries to atone for today's debacle. As a Red Bulls season ticket holder, I hate them as well as their bratty kid.

Reactions: KristianRDyer
Yeah the Gunners are funny. Lose games to the worst teams in the EPL but win lots of FA Cups and now are in a League Cup Final and possibly playing for the Europa slot into CL lol!

You ever take a look at the summer "play-in" schedule for the teams in the FA Cup that are NOT among the lucky 92 in the "league"? Crazy!
You know the Wenger playbook. Do just well enough (win a couple of misc trophies) to not get fired and just poor enough to blame it on the players. Brian Kelly, Marvin Lewis and Jason Garrett are current Wenger students.

I still do not like the FA format of replays after ties in the initial meeting. I wish they would go to pk's right away. Playing that extra game adds to the fatigue factor for some of the EPL teams.

Sunday; Gunners vs (edit) City for League Cup title!

Correct...... Very Similar to the US's Version " The US Open Cup" for the Lamar Hunt Trophy.

Dortmund are not as strong as in years past, I would worry more about Atletico Madrid. They are the favorites, by the odds makers.

It's interesting to me to see how much increasing influence the EPL and TV coverage has made on the American-watching public, even in terms of how people speak/write reflecting the British English style versus the American English style. Listen to the commentators during a match or post-game highlights or read a thread like this and it's quite noticeable and sounds a bit quirky at times if the majority of time you're watching/hearing/reading US sports coverage versus only occasionally British sports coverage.

Seeing how Arsenal almost "Wengered" themselves out of Europa against some team from Antarctica yesterday, they are difficult to trust right now. Atletico is clearly the best team right now, but Dortmund has some injured players coming back. Could be the final if it sets up that way.

ADVERTISEMENT