ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fan Brawls

Fighting at sports games as the dumbest thing ever. My junior year of college a bad fight broke out in section 103. I was watching until I realized it was two of my buddies getting smacked up. Jumping into help stop that was brutal.

Fighting at sports games is idiotic.

Reactions: goru1869 and JRZEER
Who knows what proceeded it but felt bad for the guy who got whalloped in the Memphis fight. He had both arms out protecting a young woman and he just beamed right in the face. Wasn’t fighting/ trying to protect/ hands out in a “I’m not part of this” way and gets slammed in the face.

Again, for all I know, he helped instigate before the video (so maybe had it coming?) but If not that totally sucks

best thing to do is to stay clear

Reactions: goru1869
what ever becomes of the people in videos like this? There’s about 10 guys who should be booked for assault.

And in the social media age I’m assuming these people are being identified? I’d imagine a number of these people are going into work tomorrow morning only to find out they no longer have a job...
Looks like the Cleveland fan brawl video was pulled.

Reactions: JRZEER
Bunch of a-holes…..that being said I’m shocked there are is no UConn representation. Yes, they are irrelevant now but they were always keen to pick fights and throw beer after games at that wind tunnel POS stadium and at away games too. Remember some random UConn fan getting kicked out of Rutgers Stadium after picking a fight with a senior citizen during that Thanksgiving game in ‘04.

Interesting to note the lack of security in any of these videos except the UNC one. NY fans get a bad rap but I was at all three Shea Games for the 2000 WS and never saw a fight.

There were several brawls when RU played WVU at the Meadowlands decades ago and a pretty major brawl in the upper deck during L'ville '06. Other than that I've never seen any troubles in the stands here.

Hope it stays that way.

You gotta wonder about these people. How do they conduct themselves at work, at home, etc. Do these guys deck clients when the going gets tough?

I have been living in LA county for 14 years now. Of all the fanbases, the Dodger fanbase has the biggest thugs. This is the biggest reason why I chose the Angels for my LA team over the Dodgers.
Hey hey hey now!! Don’t you know the term “thug” is racist??!!! Next up: “douche bag.”

My takeaway after watching most of those videos is don't get into a fight in the stands. The seating is going to deliver more punishment than anyone taking swings it appears. I think I saw one combatant tumble two rows, lol,

Bunch of a-holes…..that being said I’m shocked there are is no UConn representation. Yes, they are irrelevant now but they were always keen to pick fights and throw beer after games at that wind tunnel POS stadium and at away games too. Remember some random UConn fan getting kicked out of Rutgers Stadium after picking a fight with a senior citizen during that Thanksgiving game in ‘04.
A male Yuke-On student tried to fight my female friend up at The Rent.

Last edited:
A nice set of reminders (just speaking for me) to never go on road games. Even if you’re not the subject of someone’s vitriol, you’re exposed to it by virtue of simply wearing opposing team colors. Remarkable how badly people can behave. Yikes!

Reactions: RU-AGK
A nice set of reminders (just speaking for me) to never go on road games. Even if you’re not the subject of someone’s vitriol, you’re exposed to it by virtue of simply wearing opposing team colors. Remarkable how badly people can behave. Yikes!
It's why Rutgers fans of a certain age will simply never wish for anything but horrible, crippling misery and anguish for the Penn State program and it's fans. If you wore red in or around that dump in the 90's you were seen and treated as less than human and security would do nothing, NOTHING to stop or calm the mass harassment.

F that place. F it's fans. F anybody who tries to defend them. And F that vapid, in over her head, unqualified, Jack Palance look-a-like AD of ours who publicly APOLOGIZED to those vermin when we gave them but a small taste of what we were dealt over the years because they were too important to come to Piscataway.

I go to an away game every year or so. So far I've been to Ohio State, Illinois, and Minnesota, and we're going to Indiana this year, and we've never been close to having an issue, in fact we've found the other fans to be overly nice. When we went to Columbus, we arrived at our motel around 2am the night before the game, and as soon as we got out of the car, we heard a big "Welcome to Ohio!" from some Ohio State fans that were hanging out on the balcony above where we parked. They talked to us for a little bit, asked us where we were sitting, and then advised us to dress warm because it gets windy in that part of the stadium, etc. While bar-hopping through Columbus before the game, we had more people welcoming us to the midwest, a few OSU fans sat with us to ask how we like the Big Ten so far, etc. The only negative comments we got were from some younger kids, and still weren't very provocative. One guy that was talking to us for a little asked if we were expecting to get our "shit pushed in," and another guy we passed on the street said, "You guys are gonna get HAMMERED today," to which I responded, "Nah I don't think we'll be drinking that much." If they perceived Rutgers as a threat, perhaps there would have been a little more trash talk, and we were also fresh off beating Michigan at the time too.

In Minneapolis, while hanging out at a bar after the game, a group of Minnesota fans at the table next to us bought us a round of beer. We spent the rest of the night talking football and hockey with them. At another bar the next night, when we told the bartender we were visiting for the Rutgers game, he gave us free samples of all the local beer they had on tap. We had no issues in Illinois either despite Rutgers winning that game. We always sit in the Rutgers section so we're around other Rutgers fans, but it is very unlikely you'll have a problem unless you're being obnoxious yourself.

The only time I've ever had an issue at any away game was of course in Philly. I was sitting in my seat not doing anything, but I had a cup of fries thrown at me simply because the Devils scored to go up 6-2.

Reactions: redking and DirtyRU
Memphis student section fight

the Memphis fight is unfortunate.

we dont know what preceded the fight but from the video it looks like that one guy wasnt involved, was shielding a young woman and got clocked in the face for no reason.

just wrong place/ wrong time.

certainly not excusing the guy who punched him but when in a fight like that his adrenaline would be pumping so likely is just swinging at any guy near him. PLUS, I noticed that the guy who threw a punch at him before that had a beard- the puncher got knocked back and turned his head - when he looked back he very easily could have thought that the OTHER bearded guy (i.e., the one protecting the girl) was the same guy.

lesson learned - fight breaks out - get the f#$K out of the way. just standing there with your hands up might not be enough to avoid a punch to the face.

Ill also say: the African American kid in the tan shorts deserves kudos. stayed out of it, stayed calm, picked up a kid that had fallen (and thus vulnerable) and then basically held hands with another guy to get him out of it. lots of poise by that young man. well done

Last edited:
As I mentioned earlier in this thread are there even going to be repercussions for any of this or are these people just going to get away scotch free? People were getting doxed in the riots and protests last year and early this year for a quarter of the amount of violence seen in that video.

Everyone throwing those punches not in self defense should be going home to their wives/girlfriends/etc explaining why they're going to be doing jail time for assault and battery and will likely never hold a job again.

This is the exact reason I bought an 80” tv and watch my games at home. People act like animals. Last Eagles game I was at they stole a Vietnam vets prosthetic leg in the parking lot.

• Wow
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
This is the exact reason I bought an 80” tv and watch my games at home. People act like animals. Last Eagles game I was at they stole a Vietnam vets prosthetic leg in the parking lot.
Big screen HDTV’s are the death knell of live NFL attendance imo.

Reactions: JRZEER
Big screen HDTV’s are the death knell of live NFL attendance imo.
i wouldn't say it's just NFL. the first time we had Penn State at home after joining the B10, i saw a RU fan pissing on a Penn St fan. Friend of mine who was dating a PSU fan, got pushed down the ramp because she was associated with him. Mich fan wanted to throw hands with me when I told him to get out of my seats. this type of stuff makes casual fans not want to go to games...especially in our tri-state area.

i wouldn't say it's just NFL. the first time we had Penn State at home after joining the B10, i saw a RU fan pissing on a Penn St fan. Friend of mine who was dating a PSU fan, got pushed down the ramp because she was associated with him. Mich fan wanted to throw hands with me when I told him to get out of my seats. this type of stuff makes casual fans not want to go to games...especially in our tri-state area.
Been going to RU games for over 50 years - never miss a game and I can count the altercations in the stadium on one hand. The casual fan is not staying away because of fear - they are staying away for one reason and as an RU fan we all know what that is.

Been going to RU games for over 50 years - never miss a game and I can count the altercations in the stadium on one hand. The casual fan is not staying away because of fear - they are staying away for one reason and as an RU fan we all know what that is.
i've been going to games for 20 years and have seen more than a handful of altercations and many more near altercations. also know people who are casual sports fans who have said that they won't go to a football game, college or pro because they don't want to deal with the NJ/NY/PA fans. they've had bad experiences before.

You are a long time fan!

Yeah, saw that one yesterday. Its like the guy had bricks for hands. Knocked two guys out.

ADVERTISEMENT