The Omen
Halloween
Night of the Living Dead
28 Days Later
Cloverfield
Quarantine
Open Water
Prometheus
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original)
The Fog

Village of the damned from 1960. It is just creepy. If you have not seen it I highly recommend you watch it. A sort of ironic funny part (not meant to be funny) is Russia dropped a nuclear bomb on their people to take care of the problem in their country.

Jaws wasn't a horror movie. Scary parts yes but was a people movie. Did anyone read the book. Very racy with Ellen Brody screws with Hooper.

One of the few times Hollywood took the sex out of the movie.

Fortress - was on HBO all the time when I was a kid

Does anyone remember "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things." ??? I think it used to be on Channel 9. That one kind of freaked me out. At the end they were getting on a boat to get over to the mainland.

yes yes yes...channel 9 on Saturday nights. This movie scared me too...more zombies...watched it again in my 20s and didn't get the same chills but I would want to give this another chance

Just scanned the list: No one mentioned It?

pennywise.jpg

This is by far the creepiest scene in the creepiest movie. Next would be the scene in Damien: Omen 2 where the kid falls under the ice.
Yeah.. the Satanic stuff always gives me the creeps... exc ept for..

MV5BMTk5NDI0NjM5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzA5MTgzMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

One "scary" scene had the dog on the front lawn stare at Richard Crenna and compel him to stick his hand into a lawnmower blade...

1005h.jpg

1005i.jpg

First nightmare on elm street and Friday the 13th movies , scared the crap out of me when I was young. Remake of the Halloween movies by R. zombie weren't half bad.

Event Horizon, so good. Paranormal Activity was pretty insane and I would put the Blairwitch project on the list.

I think "Halloween" is the gold standard. Any love here for "Burnt Offerings"? I thought that was frightening as hell, though I probably haven't seen it in 25 years.

Reactions: Hamilton's Cannon
All the movies on the old school Chiller Theatre use to be very spooky to me. Attack of the 50 Foot Woman in particular. When the bald headed giant looked into the station wagon before picking it up and tossing it........gave me chills all right. The expression on his face just about made my blood stop flowing

Pandorum (Dennis Quade - awesome movie)
Black Sabbath
The Tingler
The Thing (both of them)
Horror Express
The Manster
War of the Gargantuans
The Horde

I don't watch hack-and-slash films, because they don't really do the job, ie, I end up howling with laughter, not fear. But I saw both the Omen and the Exorcist as a child, and both scared the living hell out of me. The Exorcist terrified me for the entire movie (and now as an adult, I realize why, it was simply better directed and acted). But when I saw that kid smiling at the end of the Omen I wanted to hide under the bed.

I remember one flick "Basket case" this normal guy had a mutant Siamese brother he kept in a wicker basket He struggled to get laid and stuff, and was looking yo kill the doctor who separated them, totally a B movie, but so bad it was funny

Rosemary's Baby. No blood, no gore...Just horror.

you got it...and they tried to do a remake of it for tv and it was awful..ditto for the Omen remake. The problem is that they fail to capture atmosphere...I don't know even if its possible anymore with the way todays kids are wired and everyone having ADD and sped up. Can they make movies like that like they did from the 60s to the 80s where atmosphere drew you in. It certainly did with movies like Halloween and Carrie and Friday the 13th but when they try to make remakes or sequels they fall flat on their face without the atmosphere

I think of recent movies maybe only Insidious and The Conjuring have been able to successfully create atmosphere.

The Thing. 1982 Carpenter movie. Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley. "The Battery" a zombie movie made on a $6,000 budget. Follows a minor league pitcher and catcher (thus the battery) on the run in New England as they deal with/evade zombies. Available on Amazon Prime for free and similar outlets. I'm not a big low budget/indie film guy but I was blown away by how good this was.

Only horror movie I couldn't finish was Exorcist 2. I know, crappy sequel but I had just installed a home theater surround sound system and the creepy sound effects going from side to side freaked me out.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
The Thing. 1982 Carpenter movie. Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley.

The original "Thing" (The Thing from Another World 1951) was good too. You got some of that cheesy 50s post-war machismo.. mollified by a girl in a bullet bra... but it stands up.

Rosemary's Baby. No blood, no gore...Just horror.

To me Rosemary's Baby is just a little too short on the horror parts, as are all of the movies before about 1970. It's only really creepy for more than brief moments at the end when you realize what Rosemary's Baby is and what has been going on all along and she's surrounded by all of her creepy Satan worshiping neighbors.

Horror movies were forever changed when the Exorcist came out: a lot of periodic chills building up to a crescendo of horror, matched only rarely by other true horror greats like the Shining, the Silence of the Lambs, the Ring, Alien, Aliens, etc., movies that are not just good for chills but have interesting stories as well. Unfortunately I think a sort of desensitization set in as a result of the great modern horror flicks--in order to have a great horror movie you need a generous helping of creepy moments; more subtle movies like Psycho or Rosemary's Baby seem a little too tame now. At the same time, you need a good story and a good production or even a generous helping of creepy moments loses force after a while, which is why it doesn't take very many watchings of slasher flicks or zombie pictures for them to lose their ability to scare. (Which brings up the first zombie flick, or the first big one, Night of the Living Dead, which is actually pretty creepy still because its low budget, stripped down look makes it seem almost documentary--which reminds me of another similar movie not mentioned, the Blair Witch Project.)

Can they make movies like that like they did from the 60s to the 80s where atmosphere drew you in.

I think of recent movies maybe only Insidious and The Conjuring have been able to successfully create atmosphere.

Perfectly stated regarding atmosphere. I still get the chills when I hear Tubular Bells

1. The exorcism of Emily Rose
2. The exorcist & its spinoffs, like the Omen series
3. All the vampire movies..

I was 10 and terrified when I saw the exorcist. To be honest I hated horror movies. My kids on the other hand loved horror movies but we're scared to watch them alone. So I got to watch The Hills have eyes, dawn of the dead, paranormal activity and The Purge etc etc etc.

Halloween (JL Curtis)
Hell raiser
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Shining
Silence of the Lambs
The Hitcher

ADVERTISEMENT