ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Favorite New Music in 2018/2019?

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Ok, I'm always curious to see what new music people are listening to, so post your favorite recent song or songs that have come out in 2018. I'll start. I lean indie/alt, but not exclusively. Here are three of my 2018 favorites.

First, a very new band, Snail Mail, led by 18-year old Lindsey Jordan from Baltimore, who writes the songs, plays lead guitar, and sings. They're playing the Stone Pony on 6/9 (will be there). This song is "Pristine" from their forthcoming new album (first full length). An instant indie classic, if you like haunting and plaintive with just enough edge.

http://www.thefader.com/2018/03/21/snail-mail-pristine-lush-interview-matador

Second is Janelle Monae's gender-bender of an ode to Prince (who was helping on some songs on the record before he died), "Make Me Feel," and you can definitely hear his influence here. Infectious. And, oh yeah, possibly the hottest video ever (she's a real triple threat - she also played one of the leads in the film Hidden Figures).

Third is Courtney Barnett's new song, "Nameless, Faceless," which is reminiscent of Nirvana (to me). Just saw her the other night in Philly and yeah, girls can rock, lol. Plus, she's an awesome lyricist - love this line: ""I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and spit out better words than you."

Coincidence, I think, that these are all female artists. Tons of other great new songs out, but I'd like to see what others offer up. Go...

Last edited:
Ok, I'm always curious to see what new music people are listening to, so post your favorite recent song or songs that have come out in 2018. I'll start. I lean indie/alt, but not exclusively. Here are three of my 2018 favorites.

First, a very new band, Snail Mail, led by 18-year old Lindsey Jordan from Baltimore, who writes the songs, plays lead guitar, and sings. They're playing the Stone Pony on 6/9 (will be there). This song is "Pristine" from their forthcoming new album (first full length). An instant indie classic, if you like haunting and plaintive with just enough edge.

Second is Janelle Monae's gender-bender of an ode to Prince (who was helping on some songs on the record before he died), "Make Me Feel," and you can definitely hear his influence here. Infectious. And, oh yeah, possibly the hottest video ever (she's a real triple thread - she also played one of the leads in the film Hidden Figures).

Third is Courtney Barnett's new song, "Nameless, Faceless," which is reminiscent of Nirvana (to me). Just saw her the other night in Philly and yeah, girls can rock, lol. Plus, she's an awesome lyricist - love this line: ""I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and spit out better words than you."

Coincidence, I think, that these are all female artists. Tons of other great new songs out, but I'd like to see what others offer up. Go...

I always appreciate new music; Courtney Barnett doesn’t remind me of Nirvana at all, but sounds almost exactly like Liz Phair, which isn’t a bad thing. Maybe less edgy, in fact.

Was anyone else really hit hard with the death of Scott Hutchison? Frightened Rabbit was a band I felt I could still fit in well with and still grow with. Horrible loss.

I always appreciate new music; Courtney Barnett doesn’t remind me of Nirvana at all, but sounds almost exactly like Liz Phair, which isn’t a bad thing. Maybe less edgy, in fact.
Generally, she doesn't remind me of Nirvana, but that song does with its contrast between quiet and noise. Definitely some similarities with Liz Phair.

Was anyone else really hit hard with the death of Scott Hutchison? Frightened Rabbit was a band I felt I could still fit in well with and still grow with. Horrible loss.
A good friend of mine was pretty down about it, as they're his favorite band. Don't know their music that well, but certainly liked them. Sad.

GRETA VAN FLEET..... saw them at Starland a few weeks ago, they are awesome.

They are Zeppelin and Joplin esque, did a great Change is Gonna Come Cover
Very talented band - the lead singer has an incredible voice, but not sure their songwriting is up to their musical talents yet. They've been compared a ton to Zep for obvious reasons, but I think people underestimate Page and Plant's songwriting. And for what it's worth, I'll take Brian Owens's cover of A Change Is Gonna Come, recorded with his father, in a really cool duet.

Well, you still aren't following the rules, but most others aren't either and at the end of the day, does anyone really give a shit? Probably not, lol. Love that "North Drive" song even if it is 2 years old. :sunglasses:
It's Drive North. What are you, from Tarzana or something?
It's relatively new and on regular rotation on Faction Punk. Not really punk--like the surf rock vibe.

I add new music to my Spotify (and more recently, Tidal) playlists constantly. I couldn't tell you which of the songs were made in 2018, if any. In fact, you could play my entire library for me and for over half the tracks, I probably couldn't tell you (a) who the artist was, or (b) what the name of the song was.

All I ever know is if I like the song or not. Perhaps this is a byproduct of the digital music age where discovering new music one likes is amazingly easy (particularly on Spotify) and buying whole albums is becoming a dead concept.

Second is Janelle Monae's gender-bender of an ode to Prince (who was helping on some songs on the record before he died), "Make Me Feel," and you can definitely hear his influence here. Infectious. And, oh yeah, possibly the hottest video ever (she's a real triple thread - she also played one of the leads in the film Hidden Figures).

1. Grow up old man
2. All the best music is from the past and nothing good will happen in the future with music

There is a song for everyone, and here's a song for the guy immediately above^^^^
LIGHTEN-UP..png

I add new music to my Spotify (and more recently, Tidal) playlists constantly. I couldn't tell you which of the songs were made in 2018, if any. In fact, you could play my entire library for me and for over half the tracks, I probably couldn't tell you (a) who the artist was, or (b) what the name of the song was.

All I ever know is if I like the song or not. Perhaps this is a byproduct of the digital music age where discovering new music one likes is amazingly easy (particularly on Spotify) and buying whole albums is becoming a dead concept.

Are you saying those services don't have a field for song year? That would surprise me. Or are you saying it's there, but you just don't pay attention to it? That would not surprise me. I'm kind of a nut about knowing what year a song was made, especially if I'm going to put it into a playlist for an event.

Are you saying those services don't have a field for song year? That would surprise me. Or are you saying it's there, but you just don't pay attention to it? That would not surprise me. I'm kind of a nut about knowing what year a song was made, especially if I'm going to put it into a playlist for an event.
Yeah, they have all that information. I don't pay any attention to it. It's just not important to me.

I sometimes learn the name of an artist for long enough to go check out all that artists other music to add songs I like to my collection. After that, I usually forget it. If an artist has enough songs I really like a lot, I might remember the name (like how I know Ott, who made "The Aubergine of the Sun" that you liked, is an artist I remember). But that's unusual.

I love the whole new effort from Sarah Shook and the Disarmers. This will never be on the Billboard Country Radio charts but Sarah and her band is as good as it gets, honest, straightforward and yes not perfect...

Some of the best country music is coming from women right now and most of it is not on country radio or if it is it does not get as high on the charts as it should.

Below are 2 examples in my opinion that got the shaft by NASH radio execs. Released to Country radio in 2018 so it qualifies is Diane by Cam. It is a follow up to the storyline of Dolly Parton’s Diane. Brilliant, quirky and a top 10 country radio in a perfect world smash it died at 42 in April on the important Country radio charts. Right now her new record has been temporarily shelved by Arista Nashville and was supposed to be out already. It has been done for 6 months.It will be interesting to see if and when the whole record is released and by whom.

Last is Ashley McBryde A little dive bar in Dahlonega. It got re-released as a single in 2018 and made it pretty far and it’s buzz got Ashley a new major label record deal. Not going to be number 1like it should probably peaked at 35 but a great sincere record and a great theme... some days start off as the absolute worst but you never know how the end of the day will be..

. Enjoy!.....

2017 and a half Asbury Park’s Williams Honor No Umbrella... Reagen and Gordon are the nicest Jersey musicians you will ever meet and the most humble.... the single made it to number 27 on the Music Row Charts which are made up of Country radio stations in mostly secondary and turciary markets. Also they just had a fantastic opening set for Bon Jovi at MSG. Word on the street is that their next record might be a joint effort with their present independent label BarFrog and a major..

I love the whole new effort from Sarah Shook and the Disarmers. This will never be on the Billboard Country Radio charts but Sarah and her band is as good as it gets, honest, straightforward and yes not perfect...

Some of the best country music is coming from women right now and most of it is not on country radio or if it is it does not get as high on the charts as it should.

Last is Ashley McBryde A little dive bar in Dahlonega. It got re-released as a single in 2018 and made it pretty far and it’s buzz got Ashley a new major label record deal. Not going to be number 1like it should probably peaked at 35 but a great sincere record and a great theme... some days start off as the absolute worst but you never know how the end of the day will be..

Not a huge country fan, but I am a pretty big fan of the alt/country genre (Old 97s, Whiskeytown, Wilco, Lucinda Williams, etc.) and Sarah Shook appears to be in that vein, especially given the Bloodshot Records label (they had Whiskeytown way back in the day). Like that song.

Also, like the Ashley McBryde song. I can see the Nashville "brass" not being fond of a woman in tats, though, as they're pretty conservative usually (that's sheer speculation though).

Saw them open up for Rancid a few years ago at Terminal 5, love them, reminds me of No Doubt.
Huge ska fan and have lamented the lack of popular ska bands over the past 15-20 years. Like that Interrupters song.

Saw Rancid at the Fastlane in 1994 and they were great, live - possibly the scariest mosh pit I've ever seen though, full of serious hard core skinheads (mostly the cool punk kind, not the Nazi kind - unlike what used to happen at City Gardens, sometimes back in the 80s- those Nazi f*ckers were a real problem) - I just stayed on the edge of the pit. Big Operation Ivy fan, too. English Beat were probably my favorite ska band, though.

Huge ska fan and have lamented the lack of popular ska bands over the past 15-20 years. Like that Interrupters song.

Saw Rancid at the Fastlane in 1994 and they were great, live - possibly the scariest mosh pit I've ever seen though, full of serious hard core skinheads (mostly the cool punk kind, not the Nazi kind - unlike what used to happen at City Gardens, sometimes back in the 80s- those Nazi f*ckers were a real problem) - I just stayed on the edge of the pit. Big Operation Ivy fan, too. English Beat were probably my favorite ska band, though.
How about Reel Big Fish?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT