ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Favorite New Music in 2018/2019?

Huge ska fan and have lamented the lack of popular ska bands over the past 15-20 years. Like that Interrupters song.

Saw Rancid at the Fastlane in 1994 and they were great, live - possibly the scariest mosh pit I've ever seen though, full of serious hard core skinheads (mostly the cool punk kind, not the Nazi kind - unlike what used to happen at City Gardens, sometimes back in the 80s- those Nazi f*ckers were a real problem) - I just stayed on the edge of the pit. Big Operation Ivy fan, too. English Beat were probably my favorite ska band, though.

I've seen The Mighty Mighty Bosstones twice in the last 18 months and they're still fun as hell. One of my favorite bands of all time.

I've seen The Mighty Mighty Bosstones twice in the last 18 months and they're still fun as hell. One of my favorite bands of all time.
Love those guys too - saw them in the mid-90s - what a fun time, like most ska bands. My list of ska bands that I've seen live (almost all either early in their careers or at their peak) is pretty decent: Specials, English Beat, Selecter, General Public, MMBosstones, Reel Big Fish, Rancid, the Skatalites, Jimmy Cliff (more reggae really), Fishbone, Toots and the Maytals (also more reggae), Goldfinger, Dance Hall Crashers, the Toasters and local faves Bigger Thomas and NY Citizens (good friend of mine was in that band) from back in the day. Biggest "misses" for me would likely be Madness, Operation Ivy, and Sublime.

Ok, I'm always curious to see what new music people are listening to, so post your favorite recent song or songs that have come out in 2018. I'll start. I lean indie/alt, but not exclusively. Here are three of my 2018 favorites.

First, a very new band, Snail Mail, led by 18-year old Lindsey Jordan from Baltimore, who writes the songs, plays lead guitar, and sings. They're playing the Stone Pony on 6/9 (will be there). This song is "Pristine" from their forthcoming new album (first full length). An instant indie classic, if you like haunting and plaintive with just enough edge.

http://www.thefader.com/2018/03/21/snail-mail-pristine-lush-interview-matador

Second is Janelle Monae's gender-bender of an ode to Prince (who was helping on some songs on the record before he died), "Make Me Feel," and you can definitely hear his influence here. Infectious. And, oh yeah, possibly the hottest video ever (she's a real triple thread - she also played one of the leads in the film Hidden Figures).

Third is Courtney Barnett's new song, "Nameless, Faceless," which is reminiscent of Nirvana (to me). Just saw her the other night in Philly and yeah, girls can rock, lol. Plus, she's an awesome lyricist - love this line: ""I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and spit out better words than you."

Coincidence, I think, that these are all female artists. Tons of other great new songs out, but I'd like to see what others offer up. Go...

Just saw Snail Mail on Saturday night at Asbury Park Brewery and after a little bit of trouble finding their rhythm initially, they crushed it. Lindsey Jordan's voice is a force of nature - reminds me of Bjork in some ways (a pipsqueak who can roar). And her songs are full of angst, beauty, sadness and surprises, especially from an 18-year old. Pitchfork just gave Snail Mail's debut album an 8.7. That's pretty rare for them - very nice write-up. I fully expect the indie world to start fawning all over them, lol. Hope she can keep her perspective in the face of the coming hype machine.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/snail-mail-lush/

this band Ghost has been around for I think 3 releases..this is definitely its most accessible and mainstream rockish type album...a shining beacon in a terrible mess the music industry is these days

The music goes through your ears and in your head.....that's where the terrible mess is....
Hey Huey!!! Not nice in a thread about music. While I am sure you and @bac2therac agree on politics, why start a scrum in a music thread? Oh, and:
tenor.gif

It's from 2017, but I still can't get enough of A Deeper Understanding by The War on Drugs.

Reactions: CJ1987
I think this one is actually from 2016 but really enjoying Drive-By Truckers latest.....American Band

It's running and biking season, so have been listening to lots of jam bands on nugs.net. Spafford is probably getting the most play. I believe the guitarist is from NJ, as it seems many jam band guitarist are. Anyway, a video is down below showing what they're about. Amazing musicians.

Anybody see The Interrupters in Asbury Park last night?

I bet they put on a good show - most ska bands usually do. Was in AP last weekend for Marshall Crenshaw and the Bottle Rockets (Americana/alt-country band, who can actually rock pretty hard) at the Wonder Bar. Think it's the longest time between seeing a band the first and second time for me (35 years - first saw MC at Jadwin Gym in 1984).

Also, got to talk to Jim Babjak, guitarist for the Smithereens, who was there (have known him for 35 years, as one of those folks who saw them at the Court dozens of times before they broke big), since MC has done some shows with the Smithereens, playing their lead vocalist, since Pat DiNizio died. Said they'll be doing some more shows with MC and some with the Gin Blossoms lead singer, Robin Wilson.

And in keeping with the thread, here's my favorite new song in 2019, by Beirut. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I find it beautiful and hypnotic - have to like horns to like this one...

Reactions: Bill 86 and 8th Man
I bet they put on a good show - most ska bands usually do. Was in AP last weekend for Marshall Crenshaw and the Bottle Rockets (Americana/alt-country band, who can actually rock pretty hard) at the Wonder Bar. Think it's the longest time between seeing a band the first and second time for me (35 years - first saw MC at Jadwin Gym in 1984).

Also, got to talk to Jim Babjak, guitarist for the Smithereens, who was there (have known him for 35 years, as one of those folks who saw them at the Court dozens of times before they broke big), since MC has done some shows with the Smithereens, playing their lead vocalist, since Pat DiNizio died. Said they'll be doing some more shows with MC and some with the Gin Blossoms lead singer, Robin Wilson.

And in keeping with the thread, here's my favorite new song in 2019, by Beirut. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I find it beautiful and hypnotic - have to like horns to like this one...

The Interrupters put on an outstanding show last night. Opening bands were decent too. Masked Intruder was interesting.
Masked-Intruder15.jpg

Reactions: RU848789
The Interrupters put on an outstanding show last night. Opening bands were decent too. Masked Intruder was interesting.
Masked-Intruder15.jpg

Interrupters KICKED ASS! didn't like Masked Intruders much. First time in Convention Hall, liked the old school feel a lot. Great energy from the first song all the way through the entire set!

Reactions: Knight Shift
Interrupters KICKED ASS! didn't like Masked Intruders much. First time in Convention Hall, liked the old school feel a lot. Great energy from the first song all the way through the entire set!
We were 4 back from the stage. That police dude in the Masked Intruders was creepy. When he came into the crowd, he tried dancing with me. Then, when he stripped down to the leotard on stage, my wife and I burst out laughing. Wondering what happened to Yellow though. . .

Ok, I'm always curious to see what new music people are listening to, so post your favorite recent song or songs that have come out in 2018. I'll start. I lean indie/alt, but not exclusively. Here are three of my 2018 favorites.

First, a very new band, Snail Mail, led by 18-year old Lindsey Jordan from Baltimore, who writes the songs, plays lead guitar, and sings. They're playing the Stone Pony on 6/9 (will be there). This song is "Pristine" from their forthcoming new album (first full length). An instant indie classic, if you like haunting and plaintive with just enough edge.

Second is Janelle Monae's gender-bender of an ode to Prince (who was helping on some songs on the record before he died), "Make Me Feel," and you can definitely hear his influence here. Infectious. And, oh yeah, possibly the hottest video ever (she's a real triple thread - she also played one of the leads in the film Hidden Figures).

Third is Courtney Barnett's new song, "Nameless, Faceless," which is reminiscent of Nirvana (to me). Just saw her the other night in Philly and yeah, girls can rock, lol. Plus, she's an awesome lyricist - love this line: ""I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and spit out better words than you."

Coincidence, I think, that these are all female artists. Tons of other great new songs out, but I'd like to see what others offer up. Go...

Heard Christine and the Queens “5 dollars” and love it.

The music and harmonies are fantastic....have it on Spotify and jam with it with my twelve string and amp.

Don’t really care about the message (bi sexual or transgendered? BDSM sex for money) ... I’ve mentally changed her entry to the chorus to “equal and opposite “ for some reason / think it improves the song.

Mo

Last edited:
We were 4 back from the stage. That police dude in the Masked Intruders was creepy. When he came into the crowd, he tried dancing with me. Then, when he stripped down to the leotard on stage, my wife and I burst out laughing. Wondering what happened to Yellow though. . .

He stripped down the stage in that leotard, that was really strange! Why not put some clothes on at that point???? Fun time with a fun band!

I took a liking to that Russian dude whose video they play at the RAC pre game.
Other than that I'll stick with Classic Rock from the last century. 1955-1999

Convention Hall is pretty cool. Still pisses me off that Asbury Park has so many small/medium sized venues for live music and New Brunswick basically just has the State Theater, especially with the Court Tavern not really pulling in any well known acts willing to play a tiny venue (like it used to). It would be nice to have at least one large bar, like the Stone Pony, which holds 500-600, for nationally known acts to play in.

from when we could send men to the moon and back on less computing power than a smart phone.

music stayed great till the mid 80s, then U2 went big.

loved U2, but they had a horrible effect, near death blow, on lyrical lead guitar.. and rock drums as well, although to a lessor degree.

been some great stuff since then, but not a lot.

Pearl Jam had it's moments, Green Day is really good, My Chemical Romance doing Black Parade live touches greatness, Adel combines great songwriting with an incredible voice..

most talented guy out there today has to be Joe Bonamassa, but lacks the band thing where the whole exceeds the sum of it's parts.

The Killers, SOL, Muse, are all strong, but they aren't exactly new artists anymore either.

The Who, Floyd, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits, Led Zep, Beatles, Stones, Bowie, U2, i just don't see/hear anyone filling their shoes today.

those bands will still be played 100 yrs from now, just as Beethoven and Bach are relevant today in classical music.

i do hear good newer stuff today, but you have to search hard for it, and not sure much if any that will outlive the British and American greats of the 60s, 70s, early 80s.

Last edited:
most talented guy out there today has to be Joe Bonamassa, but lacks the band thing where the whole exceeds the sum of it's parts.

The Killers, SOL, Muse, are all strong, but they aren't exactly new artists anymore either.

The Who, Floyd, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits, Led Zep, Beatles, Stones, Bowie, U2, i just don't see/hear anyone filling their shoes today.

those bands will still be played 100 yrs from now, just as Beethoven and Bach are relevant today in classical music.

i do hear good newer stuff today, but you have to search hard for it, and not sure much if any that will outlive the British and American greats of the 60s, 70s, early 80s.

Solid post.

I downloaded Bonamassa's British Blues Explosion album a couple of weeks ago and really like it. His rendition of "Mainline Florida" is outstanding.

But... the era of the Great Guitarist is ending, I fear. Like you, I'm just not hearing the next generation, nobody's getting any traction. New music reminds me of that great Ellen Page line in "Juno", when she says to Jason Bateman, "Oh, and I bought the new Sonic Youth album the other day. It sucks. It's just noise."

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
Solid post.

I downloaded Bonamassa's British Blues Explosion album a couple of weeks ago and really like it. His rendition of "Mainline Florida" is outstanding.

But... the era of the Great Guitarist is ending, I fear. Like you, I'm just not hearing the next generation, nobody's getting any traction. New music reminds me of that great Ellen Page line in "Juno", when she says to Jason Bateman, "Oh, and I bought the new Sonic Youth album the other day. It sucks. It's just noise."
Gary Clark Jr.
Live double cd

Last edited:
Reactions: bossnj1

I love the whole new effort from Sarah Shook and the Disarmers. This will never be on the Billboard Country Radio charts but Sarah and her band is as good as it gets, honest, straightforward and yes not perfect...

Some of the best country music is coming from women right now and most of it is not on country radio or if it is it does not get as high on the charts as it should.

Below are 2 examples in my opinion that got the shaft by NASH radio execs. Released to Country radio in 2018 so it qualifies is Diane by Cam. It is a follow up to the storyline of Dolly Parton’s Diane. Brilliant, quirky and a top 10 country radio in a perfect world smash it died at 42 in April on the important Country radio charts. Right now her new record has been temporarily shelved by Arista Nashville and was supposed to be out already. It has been done for 6 months.It will be interesting to see if and when the whole record is released and by whom.

Last is Ashley McBryde A little dive bar in Dahlonega. It got re-released as a single in 2018 and made it pretty far and it’s buzz got Ashley a new major label record deal. Not going to be number 1like it should probably peaked at 35 but a great sincere record and a great theme... some days start off as the absolute worst but you never know how the end of the day will be..

. Enjoy!.....

2017 and a half Asbury Park’s Williams Honor No Umbrella... Reagen and Gordon are the nicest Jersey musicians you will ever meet and the most humble.... the single made it to number 27 on the Music Row Charts which are made up of Country radio stations in mostly secondary and turciary markets. Also they just had a fantastic opening set for Bon Jovi at MSG. Word on the street is that their next record might be a joint effort with their present independent label BarFrog and a major..
I came here to post Ashley’s song, which is great. I saw her at the Stone Pony in November and she was so good, so personable, so likable, that I’m looking forward to seeing how her career goes.

Convention Hall is pretty cool. Still pisses me off that Asbury Park has so many small/medium sized venues for live music and New Brunswick basically just has the State Theater, especially with the Court Tavern not really pulling in any well known acts willing to play a tiny venue (like it used to). It would be nice to have at least one large bar, like the Stone Pony, which holds 500-600, for nationally known acts to play in.
As you know, Asbury Park has long been a music city. The diversity and variety of venues is unmatched for a city its size. Maybe it is the proximity to the ocean, but Asbury crowds bring a lot of energy to shows too. The Interrupters remarked several times how great the crowd was, and I don't think that was just empty praise.

Seems Rutgers does not bring in touring acts as frequently as they used to. Checked RUPA's website and the only upcoming concert listed is Young the Giant.
http://rupa.rutgers.edu/

Can you change title to 2019?

Strong first single from Titus Andronicus

Can you change title to 2019?

Strong first single from Titus Andronicus
Done. Love Titus, but they really have been much more hit or miss since their first 3 albums, all of which I loved. I like the new song, but don't love it, although maybe it'll grow on me. I'm ok with the homage to Dylan in the video, since this is one of their most overtly political songs and making people pay attention to the lyrics is part of that. Hoping the rest of the album delivers.

Although one thing I love about them (and especially Patrick Stickles the lead singer and main songwriter) is that they just don't give a shit what anyone thinks. To wit, their 2015 album, The Most Lamentable Tragedy was a 29-song rock opera, which Stickles described as a "complicated metaphor about manic depression, melding elements of philosophy, psychology, and science fiction through the plight of one troubled protagonist’s inner demons." Clearly not put together for the masses, lol, but even if I don't love all their music, I can absolutely say that these guys absolutely bring it live with the intensity of banshees (have seen them about 8 times). Obviously, they're trying to stay true to their punk roots. Here's what he had to say about the new single:

“The ideology of ‘punk’ supports the elevation of our own interior authority and the degradation of exterior authority, which we recognize to be arbitrary, a tool by which the many are subjugated under the few. While the common ‘punk rocker’ will take this as license to piss on the street and generally pursue a lifestyle of nihilistic hedonism, the true ‘punk’ will recognize the price of this freedom. An Obelisk tells the story of one particular individual, someone maybe a lot like you but certainly a lot like me, scouring linty pockets, trying to pay that bill.”

https://www.spin.com/2019/04/titus-andronicus-i-blame-society-an-obelisk-listen/

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT