ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Favorite New Music in 2018/2019?

It's totally silly. In music, and all art forms, "good" is a pretty subjective term. But it's the internet where everybody has their opinions and it's fun to sometimes argue an unpopular position, if the facts support it.
I agree. Eventually I finally got to the point with several of my friends where I just told them that if I said "good" or "better" that meant that I liked it.

Actual fake news. John never said that and never would have. The "quote" was made up decades later and still circulates as a meme for trolls incapable of appreciating Ringo's drumming.

Why would someone make up such a quote? Any “fake news” quotes regarding or JL or GH being shitty guitarists or PM being a shitty vocalist/bassist? It’s fairly well known that RS was a mediocre drummer at best. But you’re wrong about pretty much everything so why would this subject be any different

Reactions: bac2therac
Why would someone make up such a quote? Any “fake news” quotes regarding or JL or GH being shitty guitarists or PM being a shitty vocalist/bassist? It’s fairly well known that RS was a mediocre drummer at best. But you’re wrong about pretty much everything so why would this subject be any different

Now you're just being a tool. I don't really give a shit if you believe me, but do you also think the case made by the expert in the video is not true? And clearly the video which you drew the still from which you posted, which implies that's when JL said this, didn't have any such quote. Find me one scintilla of evidence that JL actually said this and then we'll talk. Until then, you're simply wrong and perpetuating a hoax.

Reactions: Ruthinking
Now you're just being a tool. I don't really give a shit if you believe me, but do you also think the case made by the expert in the video is not true? And clearly the video which you drew the still from which you posted, which implies that's when JL said this, didn't have any such quote. Find me one scintilla of evidence that JL actually said this and then we'll talk. Until then, you're simply wrong and perpetuating a hoax.
Leave my boy, @RUaMoose alone. Solidarity, Moose! Logic and facts are on our side. We have #s resorting to personal insults now. :D

Curious, where/when did you see the Specials? They were the first concert I ever went to (Speaks nightclub on Long Island, March 1980). Would still rank that show in my top 3 list, just amazing.
Specials are one of my favorites too. I worked for a large company and my superior was a South African. I remember driving him over to pick up his car from the dealership at lunch.. he had it tuned up during work. I had a Specials tape in my state of the art cassette.. sure enough, Free Nelson Mandella came on.. I was like Ralph Kramden.. "huminahuminahumina". Luckily, he supported ending apartheid... or so he said.. but I always wondered.. did he think I set that up?

Reactions: scripts
It's totally silly. In music, and all art forms, "good" is a pretty subjective term. But it's the internet where everybody has their opinions and it's fun to sometimes argue an unpopular position, if the facts support it.

when a 4 piece band sounds great, sure sign everyone's doing something right.

they were a local sensation live in small clubs before ever recording, and you can't pull that off with a bad drummer.

on a side note, i've personally met Pete Best.

maybe 7-10 yrs ago he and his band played a gig at a local club/bar not that far from where i lived at the time, and had a meet and greet after the show and signed stuff. (i even shook the dude's hand, and chatted for a few moments).

most everything was up tempo early 60s Brit Pop sounding stuff, (no half timing the hi hat), and he had no problem keeping up on stuff a lot a kids would struggle to keep up on after a few songs, and sounded very good.

very friendly and seemed quite happy.

Reactions: Ruthinking
Hayden James' new album is incredible. It drops on the 14th of June. Can't wait for that party!

Bob Moses is really good. Check their stuff if you don't know them.

Funny stuff.

So I'm sitting in a bar in Memphis and between sets the DJ decides to play a selection of Rush tunes. As I'm listening to Neil Peart I think of this thread and giggle my ass off about how stupid it is.

Reactions: mildone
when a 4 piece band sounds great, sure sign everyone's doing something right.

they were a local sensation live in small clubs before ever recording, and you can't pull that off with a bad drummer.

on a side note, i've personally met Pete Best.

maybe 7-10 yrs ago he and his band played a gig at a local club/bar not that far from where i lived at the time, and had a meet and greet after the show and signed stuff. (i even shook the dude's hand, and chatted for a few moments).

most everything was up tempo early 60s Brit Pop sounding stuff, (no half timing the hi hat), and he had no problem keeping up on stuff a lot a kids would struggle to keep up on after a few songs, and sounded very good.

very friendly and seemed quite happy.
In all honesty, while I really like the Beatles music a lot, I've heard close covers by some extremely talented musicians and often liked the covers better, usually because of the drumming.

I'm not entirely sure I can agree that a four person band cannot have one weak member, three really strong members, and brilliant song-writing, and still be really great. If for no other reason that, in my opinion, that accurately describes the Beatles.

Anyway, we're not going to sway each other's opinions on this issue. Which is fine. That's the cool thing about art and music; it's very personal and terms like "good" and "great" are subjective and non-deterministic.

Haven't had a favorite #,since the BGEES did Saturday Night Fever.I am basically a Big Band and Jazz Fan.Great musicians. Did like a lot of the disco stuff though.It's really not me,it's the so called music. My tastes are eclectic. I like some classical music just to prove a point.Gospel too.Some country /Western .Good is good. I.E.: Sarah Vaughn,Ella,Dionne Warwick,Duke Ellington ,Johnny Hodges,Rita Coolidge,Donna Summers ,Aretha etc.(BUT to each his own)

Just heard this for the first time on SiriusXMU last night and it blew me away, although I'm a sucker for chill wave type songs with catchy beats. The band is Easy Life and they're from Leicester City in the UK and this is their 2nd EP (they formed in late 2017). Lots of buzz. It'll be on the playlist for our upcoming "5 Songs" party and for the two fairly big gigs I'll be doing at work in June (dept. party at Rahway Park and site BBQ for our RY site).

Just heard this for the first time on SiriusXMU last night and it blew me away, although I'm a sucker for chill wave type songs with catchy beats. The band is Easy Life and they're from Leicester City in the UK and this is their 2nd EP (they formed in late 2017). Lots of buzz. It'll be on the playlist for our upcoming "5 Songs" party and for the two fairly big gigs I'll be doing at work in June (dept. party at Rahway Park and site BBQ for our RY site).

Cool song.

Country and southern rock fans can get into this song by Brent Cobb.

Red-dirt and outlaw fans are about the only ones who can handle Colter Wall, who's one of the up-and-comers in non-Nashville country.

Waylon Jennings -- "I've Always Been Crazy (but it's kept me from going insane)":

David Frizzell -- "I'm Gonna Hire A Wino To Decorate Our Home"

If you like country,but get tired of the same 20 songs over and over on mainstream radio stations,try www.ircountry.com. I have lots of favs including Holly Tucker, Kevin Fowler, and the Josh Abbott Band.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Sharon Van Etten from New Jersey:
Like the Mannequin Pussy song - that guitar solo really sounds like J. Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. (best indie/alt guitarist ever, maybe), but couldn't find any evidence it's him.

I played Seventeen at a gig a few months ago, right as it was really breaking big and it went over very well. Great song. Didn't realize she was a Jersey Girl. The Charly Bliss song didn't do much for me, but 2 for 3 is pretty good, lol.

Really liking this new song by YK Osiris, including the beats and the pretty cool guitar solo, which is a nice touch for a hip-hop song - kid just turned 20 and is out of Jacksonville and many think he could be the next big thing in hip-hop/R&B - love that he doesn't limit himself to one genre of music, too.

Like the Mannequin Pussy song - that guitar solo really sounds like J. Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. (best indie/alt guitarist ever, maybe), but couldn't find any evidence it's him.

I played Seventeen at a gig a few months ago, right as it was really breaking big and it went over very well. Great song. Didn't realize she was a Jersey Girl. The Charly Bliss song didn't do much for me, but 2 for 3 is pretty good, lol.
J Mascis is God.
It did sound a little like him though.

Murder By Death’s new album is killer. Pup’s new one Morbid Stuff is pretty good too.

Knightshift, Red Dirt country music is mostly bands from Texas and Oklahoma. It is completely different than the usual country music. The girls that leave are hotter, the pickup trucks are bigger, and the horses are faster. It is like night and day!!!

Reactions: Knight Shift
And some here need to stick with Benny Goodman and Frank Sinatra, but what about the Atlantic City Expressway? That's your sweet spot!

I always thought Sayreville '78 - '80 needed a documentary. Anybody know an HBO producer willing to take a pitch?

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Grohl, Copeland, etc. are all spinning like mad about Ringo. Great drummers don't need someone to make a video with a bunch of other drummers proclaiming their greatness. It's self-evident. The fact that someone felt it necessary to make that video just proves my point.

Ringo might have been a little creative, it's hard to say. But he lacked the talent of his band-mates. As for fitting in, any good musician knows how to listen to his band-mates and fit in with them perfectly. So any other good drummer could've fit in just fine with the Beatles. Wasn't rocket science.

Also, I never said the Beatles were bad; they were great. They could've been even better with a better drummer.
Let's see Ringo play this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT