ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Favorite New Music in 2018/2019?

He really is such an awesome guitarist and not too bad as a songwriter/performer too. Great live shows, too. Since this is an RU football board, I'll post their 1993 minor hit, "Start Choppin'."

The best IMO is the album Where You Been....with Out There and What Else Is New as my two favorite tunes from Mascis.
Also love Amaring from his J Mascis and the Fog album.

So this excludes RU/Mets fans, their souls were sucked away a long, long time ago. :)

I don't get lumping RU and the Mets together and you're not the only one who does it. The Mets have won 2 World Series Championships in the not-too-distant past and RU has won how many again (and 1869 doesn't really count)?

I don't get lumping RU and the Mets together and you're not the only one who does it. The Mets have won 2 World Series Championships in the not-too-distant past and RU has won how many again (and 1869 doesn't really count)?
I have a friend that is a RU, Mets, Jets, and Nets fan. Talk about low self esteem! :)
Every RU fan should also be a Yankees fan or Giants fan so they have at least some sports happiness. Gotta have some balance.

I have a friend that is a RU, Mets, Jets, and Nets fan. Talk about low self esteem! :)
Every RU fan should also be a Yankees fan or Giants fan so they have at least some sports happiness. Gotta have some balance.

Then I obviously have no hope as a sports fan, lol, since RU is all I root for. I had favorite pro teams in every sport growing up (generally Baltimore and Philly teams, since my parents are from Baltimore and I grew up 10 miles south of Philly), but I simply soured on pro sports with free agency and having less time for pro sports by the early 80s (when I went to RU), so now I just watch pro sports to see the best players/teams in hopefully close games. It actually makes watching sporting events less stressful, since I can appreciate the sports/plays without worrying about who wins.

Then I obviously have no hope as a sports fan, lol, since RU is all I root for. I had favorite pro teams in every sport growing up (generally Baltimore and Philly teams, since my parents are from Baltimore and I grew up 10 miles south of Philly), but I simply soured on pro sports with free agency and having less time for pro sports by the early 80s (when I went to RU), so now I just watch pro sports to see the best players/teams in hopefully close games. It actually makes watching sporting events less stressful, since I can appreciate the sports/plays without worrying about who wins.
Good Lord, you poor man. I might lay off my weather trolling for a bit. You need some happiness! :)

Reactions: RU848789
Good Lord, you poor man. I might lay off my weather trolling for a bit. You need some happiness! :)

What can I say? I'm a glutton for punishment, lol. And you know, you just stepped out of character and revealed you're capable of empathy. I knew we could be best friends someday. :sunglasses:

Reactions: T2Kplus10

That’s me unfortunately. NY Rangers fan too. Why do I do this to myself?

Reactions: T2Kplus10
What can I say? I'm a glutton for punishment, lol. And you know, you just stepped out of character and revealed you're capable of empathy. I knew we could be best friends someday. :sunglasses:
Best buddies! Until you post about the next tropical depression.

I may have to revive the "Beat Dr. Gray" game, this year. Totally forgot about it last year.

While this "song" came out in 2017 from South Korea (it's supposedly an old campfire song), it's really gone viral in the US this year. Anyone with kids under about age 8 will likely know this one. Had never heard of it until 2 weeks ago, when my friend, who has a 2 year old daughter, requested it at our annual "5 Songs" party. While it's one of those annoying earworm songs, it was great fun watching their adorable daughter dancing to it with sheer glee. Nickelodeon is now set to make an animated show out of it. My apologies, lol...

Last edited:
While this "song" came out in 2017 from South Korea, it's really gone viral in the US this year. Anyone with kids under about age 8 will likely know this one. Had never heard of it until 2 weeks ago, when my friend, who has a 3 year old daughter, requested it at our annual "5 Songs" party. While it's one of those annoying earworm songs, it was great fun watching their adorable daughter dancing to it with sheer glee. Nickelodeon is now set to make an animated show out of it. My apologies, lol...

This post warrants a swift trial and subsequent execution.

Yeah, true, we have to kill #s for posting the song. Even he agrees.

But seriously, this kid is unbelievably adorable so we all enjoyed it because her joy was so infectious.

Reactions: Kbee3
While this "song" came out in 2017 from South Korea (it's supposedly an old campfire song), it's really gone viral in the US this year. Anyone with kids under about age 8 will likely know this one. Had never heard of it until 2 weeks ago, when my friend, who has a 2 year old daughter, requested it at our annual "5 Songs" party. While it's one of those annoying earworm songs, it was great fun watching their adorable daughter dancing to it with sheer glee. Nickelodeon is now set to make an animated show out of it. My apologies, lol...

tenor.gif

If only it was a short landing, we could have skipped the trial.

In an attempt to make up for the Baby Shark song, here's a song that's not from 2019, but it's a song I first heard last year when someone requested it and I fell in love with it. This live acoustic version was recorded in 2014 in Austin, where the lead guy from Shakey Graves is from and I like this version better than the electric version, probably because it's such a good duet. Thinking many might not have seen this and might like it...

Music is ageless.. except for pop and hip-hop. Since both are based on the next big thing, so they quickly leave fans behind.

But rock, country, jazz, classical, blues and folk are immortal.

Ya really want to know?Commercials and tv ads.They used to be mostly Canned Heat Going up the Country or ELO tunes or Norman Greenbaum but now there is a lot of original stuff on those venues.

Going to see a lot of new stuff this weekend at Glastonbury. Pumped to see Stormzy tonight who I just ran into at breakfast. Nice chap. Will report back on new stuff I like.

Reactions: Jm0513
Going to see a lot of new stuff this weekend at Glastonbury. Pumped to see Stormzy tonight who I just ran into at breakfast. Nice chap. Will report back on new stuff I like.
Didn't figure you for being a fan of a lefty grime artist - there's hope for you yet. :)

I always knew Glastonbury was big, but I was just looking at the program and it's insanely big with more than 20 stages all going at once. I've been to a ton of 4-5 stage festivals and those are hard enough to plan for - do you know what artists you're going to see yet? Have fun.

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/areas/pyramid-stage/

Didn't figure you for being a fan of a lefty grime artist - there's hope for you yet. :)

I always knew Glastonbury was big, but I was just looking at the program and it's insanely big with more than 20 stages all going at once. I've been to a ton of 4-5 stage festivals and those are hard enough to plan for - do you know what artists you're going to see yet? Have fun.

Quite a lineup. Hawkwind (Lemmy's first band) on the acoustic stage:
https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2019/?stage

Stormzy was disappointing. I sort of dug it from my Brit friends but my it just didn’t translate live. Definitely not Pyramid Stage material, IMO.

Tame Impala is sort of mailing in now. I’ve seen them probably 5x now and they get worse each time.

Lumineers were really good actually. I’ve seen them a few x and they have gotten better. Cat Power was awesome. Four Tet as always crushes it. Saw a bunch of good stuff though. Highlight was probably Idles. A punk band whose politics you’d like. They are raw energy. We don’t see bands like that anymore. You will be hearing a lot about them. A small label just signed them beating out all the big guys.

I’ve been to Coachella more times than I can remember. Many other festivals too. Glasto is waaaaay next level. Without seeing it, it’s hard to even describe the size and scope of what is going on. It’s really remarkable. Thankfully the weather is SoCal like. I can’t imagine trudging through those fields in torrential downpours and a foot of mud everywhere. But people do it.

Not too pumped on the music today. Just saw Liam Gallagher a few days ago at a place called Eden Project which was just an incredible venue. He’s one of the headliners but we will see. Tomorrow is the day. So much good stuff, including The Cure, who are probably the greatest live band I’ve ever seen.

Stormzy was disappointing. I sort of dug it from my Brit friends but my it just didn’t translate live. Definitely not Pyramid Stage material, IMO.

Tame Impala is sort of mailing in now. I’ve seen them probably 5x now and they get worse each time.

Lumineers were really good actually. I’ve seen them a few x and they have gotten better. Cat Power was awesome. Four Tet as always crushes it. Saw a bunch of good stuff though. Highlight was probably Idles. A punk band whose politics you’d like. They are raw energy. We don’t see bands like that anymore. You will be hearing a lot about them. A small label just signed them beating out all the big guys.

I’ve been to Coachella more times than I can remember. Many other festivals too. Glasto is waaaaay next level. Without seeing it, it’s hard to even describe the size and scope of what is going on. It’s really remarkable. Thankfully the weather is SoCal like. I can’t imagine trudging through those fields in torrential downpours and a foot of mud everywhere. But people do it.

Not too pumped on the music today. Just saw Liam Gallagher a few days ago at a place called Eden Project which was just an incredible venue. He’s one of the headliners but we will see. Tomorrow is the day. So much good stuff, including The Cure, who are probably the greatest live band I’ve ever seen.

Nice report, thanks. Not surprised on Stormzy (a lot of hip-hop-ish acts fall short, live, IMO) or Tame Impala (saw them once and wasn't overly impressed, but I do like some of their songs - better band in the studio). Also a fan of the Lumineers and Cat Power.

Great call on iDLES. Had not heard of them and just sampled a few songs - they certainly have that anger and energy in spades, which is half the battle for a punk rock band and they have some catchy tunes, which is the other half. Clip is already up from yesterday, below, lol - love that song - maybe you can pick yourself out in the crowd.

Was just looking at today's and tomorrow's lineups - not sure what I'd do, as there are 2-3 bands playing at most times that I'd want to see. Tough decisions, lol. If you get a chance, maybe give Sharon Van Etten a try tonight, but I'm not that impressed with the Pyramid Stage shows today.

But yeah, the Cure would be a must for me, too. Saw them in 81, 84, 86 and most recently in 2012 at MSG, where my expectations were modest (older bands aren't always the best), but they blew the doors off the place and also had the best sound I've heard at a live show outside of Radiohead. I would also want to see Janelle Monae (talented and smokin'), Rex Orange County and Rickie Lee Jones, acoustic and many more.

And if you've never seen Vampire Weekend, give them a try. If I had to pick my favorite band from the last 10 years or so it would probably be them or maybe Titus Andronicus (or Cloud Nothings). Saw them on one of their first tours and then in 2008 and 2010, but would love to see them perform their new album, which is brilliant, IMO. One of those bands which is even better live than on record.

Yea I will check them out. Just saw Keane is playing so going to see them. There is a secret set going on at Parker which rumor is it’s Noel Gallagher. I just saw him at our hotel so that wouldn’t be shocking.

As much as I love the music, Glasto has so much other stuff going, it’s hard to pick and choose. The grounds are so massive. 250k people including event staff over 800,000 acres. It’s incredible.

Brits are funny people. So prim and proper until they start partying. Then it’s fully the other way. Come 2:00AM I’ve never seen so many completely and utterly inebriated people in my entire life. I think they are a bit repressed. It makes Coachella look G rated. Makes for great people watching.

I’ve seen Vampire Weekend a few x. They are great. I’ll check them out again if able.

Thinking about last night, Fat Boy Slim was really good too. I’ll post some more highlights after tonight.

Yea I will check them out. Just saw Keane is playing so going to see them. There is a secret set going on at Parker which rumor is it’s Noel Gallagher. I just saw him at our hotel so that wouldn’t be shocking.

As much as I love the music, Glasto has so much other stuff going, it’s hard to pick and choose. The grounds are so massive. 250k people including event staff over 800,000 acres. It’s incredible.

Brits are funny people. So prim and proper until they start partying. Then it’s fully the other way. Come 2:00AM I’ve never seen so many completely and utterly inebriated people in my entire life. I think they are a bit repressed. It makes Coachella look G rated. Makes for great people watching.

I’ve seen Vampire Weekend a few x. They are great. I’ll check them out again if able.

Thinking about last night, Fat Boy Slim was really good too. I’ll post some more highlights after tonight.

In my experience, the English and the Irish are similar in that way. Prim and proper for the most part, but man, do they know how to let loose. Will have to tell my Irish friend's bachelor party sheep story someday (especially for @mildone lol).

Huge Norman Cook fan from his days with the Housemartins to Fat Boy Slim to his work with David Byrne, but never saw any of those entities live (need to fix that, lol). For my money, Fat Boy Slim's first album, "You've Come a Long Way Baby," was one of the greatest albums of at least the 90s. So many great songs on that record.

In my experience, the English and the Irish are similar in that way. Prim and proper for the most part, but man, do they know how to let loose. Will have to tell my Irish friend's bachelor party sheep story someday (especially for @mildone lol).

Huge Norman Cook fan from his days with the Housemartins to Fat Boy Slim to his work with David Byrne, but never saw any of those entities live (need to fix that, lol). For my money, Fat Boy Slim's first album, "You've Come a Long Way Baby," was one of the greatest albums of at least the 90s. So many great songs on that record.
So yesterday was much better than I thought. Got a feel for the grounds so know how to move around faster. Brits just love to move in packs even if there is space to move around it. Americans just go for it. I’m convinced that’s why they lost the Revolutionary War. The stood in lines and we went guerrilla style. I’m ready to do a social experiment today and just start a line. I guarantee people will just get in it without asking why. It’s just so odd. They love a que.

Highlights were Wu Tang, Chemical Bros. I was able to watch from a great access point. Caught half of The Killers show reluctantly. I have to say having seen them a bunch, they absolutely killed it. Like really killed it. They are getting talked about a lot. Maybe the show of the festival.

Keane was awesome too. They sounded really good. I think we will be hearing more from them. Their singer finally has his act together apparently.

Mark Ronson did a DJ set from 1:00-5:00. Caught some of it but it was just an absolute zoo. When the sun goes down here, it turns into a different place. These people go absolutely mental. The music is obviously great here but the best part is all the nooks and crannies. Just so much to see and going on, it’s really difficult to explain without seeing it.

Staying at an awesomely quaint hotel where it’s all industry people and entertainers. Walked in early this morning past some woman laying outside next to the door in a fur coat and sneakers. She looked at me and said, “all good just having a wee little lie down”. Umm, it’s not really all good but you’re a legend anyway.

Reactions: RU848789
Nice report, thanks. Not surprised on Stormzy (a lot of hip-hop-ish acts fall short, live, IMO) or Tame Impala (saw them once and wasn't overly impressed, but I do like some of their songs - better band in the studio). Also a fan of the Lumineers and Cat Power.

Great call on iDLES. Had not heard of them and just sampled a few songs - they certainly have that anger and energy in spades, which is half the battle for a punk rock band and they have some catchy tunes, which is the other half. Clip is already up from yesterday, below, lol - love that song - maybe you can pick yourself out in the crowd.

Was just looking at today's and tomorrow's lineups - not sure what I'd do, as there are 2-3 bands playing at most times that I'd want to see. Tough decisions, lol. If you get a chance, maybe give Sharon Van Etten a try tonight, but I'm not that impressed with the Pyramid Stage shows today.

But yeah, the Cure would be a must for me, too. Saw them in 81, 84, 86 and most recently in 2012 at MSG, where my expectations were modest (older bands aren't always the best), but they blew the doors off the place and also had the best sound I've heard at a live show outside of Radiohead. I would also want to see Janelle Monae (talented and smokin'), Rex Orange County and Rickie Lee Jones, acoustic and many more.

And if you've never seen Vampire Weekend, give them a try. If I had to pick my favorite band from the last 10 years or so it would probably be them or maybe Titus Andronicus (or Cloud Nothings). Saw them on one of their first tours and then in 2008 and 2010, but would love to see them perform their new album, which is brilliant, IMO. One of those bands which is even better live than on record.

The guitarist who grabbed the mike at the end of the video looks like Lemmy reincarnated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT