ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Favorite New Music in 2018/2019?

So yesterday was much better than I thought. Got a feel for the grounds so know how to move around faster. Brits just love to move in packs even if there is space to move around it. Americans just go for it. I’m convinced that’s why they lost the Revolutionary War. The stood in lines and we went guerrilla style. I’m ready to do a social experiment today and just start a line. I guarantee people will just get in it without asking why. It’s just so odd. They love a que.

Highlights were Wu Tang, Chemical Bros. I was able to watch from a great access point. Caught half of The Killers show reluctantly. I have to say having seen them a bunch, they absolutely killed it. Like really killed it. They are getting talked about a lot. Maybe the show of the festival.

Keane was awesome too. They sounded really good. I think we will be hearing more from them. Their singer finally has his act together apparently.

Mark Ronson did a DJ set from 1:00-5:00. Caught some of it but it was just an absolute zoo. When the sun goes down here, it turns into a different place. These people go absolutely mental. The music is obviously great here but the best part is all the nooks and crannies. Just so much to see and going on, it’s really difficult to explain without seeing it.

Staying at an awesomely quaint hotel where it’s all industry people and entertainers. Walked in early this morning past some woman laying outside next to the door in a fur coat and sneakers. She looked at me and said, “all good just having a wee little lie down”. Umm, it’s not really all good but you’re a legend anyway.

Have enjoyed the Killers, live, also - excellent band. Good to see Keane making a comeback with a new album out - not a huge fan, but have liked some songs from back in the 2000s. How was the Cure?

Mark Ronson's DJ set sounds like it would've been cool. His new album of collaborations with female artists seems to be doing pretty well - the guy is simply a music machine, lol. I'm liking the Angel Olson one right now, linked below, but he's got songs with Lykke Li, Camila Cabelo, YEBBA, Miley Cyrus and more on this one.

And speaking of new music, another interesting album of collaborations came out yesterday, featuring Chance The Rapper and a cast of thousands, lol. I heard one song in particular today that I really liked from it. It's a collaboration with, perhaps surprisingly to some (although Chance is a big fan of theirs), Death Cab for Cutie, featuring co-lead vocals from Ben Gibbard. And Justin Vernon (Bon Iver frontman) co-wrote the song. Such a chill, nostalgic summertime slow jam. I think we might hear a lot of this one...

Have enjoyed the Killers, live, also - excellent band. Good to see Keane making a comeback with a new album out - not a huge fan, but have liked some songs from back in the 2000s. How was the Cure?

Mark Ronson's DJ set sounds like it would've been cool. His new album of collaborations with female artists seems to be doing pretty well - the guy is simply a music machine, lol. I'm liking the Angel Olson one right now, linked below, but he's got songs with Lykke Li, Camila Cabelo, YEBBA, Miley Cyrus and more on this one.

And speaking of new music, another interesting album of collaborations came out yesterday, featuring Chance The Rapper and a cast of thousands, lol. I heard one song in particular today that I really liked from it. It's a collaboration with, perhaps surprisingly to some (although Chance is a big fan of theirs), Death Cab for Cutie, featuring co-lead vocals from Ben Gibbard. And Justin Vernon (Bon Iver frontman) co-wrote the song. Such a chill, nostalgic summertime slow jam. I think we might hear a lot of this one...

Always loved the simple hook in this first Angel Olsen song I heard.

It has been 50 years since The Stooges first exploded on the scene. Was this the dawn of punk?Maybe. Maybe not but I remember when my buddy dropped "I Wanna be your Dog "on me along with the MC5 and I was ready to move to Detroit. Screw San Francisco. I wanted the Motor City. Yeah I'm old but I was there and they changed my teen aged world.

Reactions: RU848789
Just love this new song by Orville Peck. First heard "Turn to Hate" a month or so ago on SiriusXMU, the indie rock channel and immediately thought of the similarity to Lloyd Cole,the 80s alternative icon, who wrote some similarly great "crooner" songs and the voice resemblance is uncanny to me.

But then I read up on him a bit recently and found out this guy embodies a fascinating collection of genre and mind-bending attributes. An anonymous, masked, gay, Canadian, country-shoegaze-crooner, who, "claims he previously played in punk bands, that he worked as an actor and a dancer as well, that he self-identifies as a cowboy," according to the article linked below.

That's some combo, but for me, all that really matters is that incredibly expressive voice and the music behind it. The song linked below might be my favorite this year and although I don't love every country-tinged song on his debut album, Pony, several of them are really strong (love "Buffalo Run") and I can't wait to see where he goes next, musically.

Also, voice-wise, some other triangulations thrown out in the article below are Chris Isaak meets Glenn Danzig or Roy Orbison meets John Doe, both of which I can also see, although Lloyd Cole is still who I think of first.

One tidbit on the video: oddly enough it features Mac DeMarco, one of my favorite indie rockers, riding the mechanical bull (the gap-toothed guy in the hat). That and the fact that the album was produced and released by Sub Pop (label for Nirvana and many other grunge/alt acts over the years) tells me it's at least possible his next album will feature some alt/punk music, but who knows?

https://www.vice.com/…/orville-peck-pony-turn-to-hate-inter…

It has been 50 years since The Stooges first exploded on the scene. Was this the dawn of punk?Maybe. Maybe not but I remember when my buddy dropped "I Wanna be your Dog "on me along with the MC5 and I was ready to move to Detroit. Screw San Francisco. I wanted the Motor City. Yeah I'm old but I was there and they changed my teen aged world.

Since I was only 7 in 1969, I had to wait another 10+ years to hear Iggy and the Stooges and the MC5 and other "proto-punk" bands, like the Velvet Underground, New York Dolls and Television (didn't hear these bands in high school - had to wait until college to hear all of these, except the VU who my older brother liked). Of course, if you really want to think about the early roots of punk, I'd go back to the Who, the Kinks, and the Sonics, among others (and then the rockabilly-blues-rock innovators of the 1950s). Always liked this graphic of alt/punk music history...

Dorothy-0113-Alternative-Love-72dpi-Master-High.jpg

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Just love this new song by Orville Peck. First heard "Turn to Hate" a month or so ago on SiriusXMU, the indie rock channel and immediately thought of the similarity to Lloyd Cole,the 80s alternative icon, who wrote some similarly great "crooner" songs and the voice resemblance is uncanny to me.

But then I read up on him a bit recently and found out this guy embodies a fascinating collection of genre and mind-bending attributes. An anonymous, masked, gay, Canadian, country-shoegaze-crooner, who, "claims he previously played in punk bands, that he worked as an actor and a dancer as well, that he self-identifies as a cowboy," according to the article linked below.

That's some combo, but for me, all that really matters is that incredibly expressive voice and the music behind it. The song linked below might be my favorite this year and although I don't love every country-tinged song on his debut album, Pony, several of them are really strong (love "Buffalo Run") and I can't wait to see where he goes next, musically.

Also, voice-wise, some other triangulations thrown out in the article below are Chris Isaak meets Glenn Danzig or Roy Orbison meets John Doe, both of which I can also see, although Lloyd Cole is still who I think of first.

One tidbit on the video: oddly enough it features Mac DeMarco, one of my favorite indie rockers, riding the mechanical bull (the gap-toothed guy in the hat). That and the fact that the album was produced and released by Sub Pop (label for Nirvana and many other grunge/alt acts over the years) tells me it's at least possible his next album will feature some alt/punk music, but who knows?

https://www.vice.com/…/orville-peck-pony-turn-to-hate-inter…

I prefer the original:

I prefer the original:

I so love that song. We may not agree much on politics or religion, but I would gladly buy you a beer and talk music and Rutgers sports (and argue over the other stuff, lol). We saw Lloyd Cole just once, but it was a stellar show at Maxwell's in Hoboken in 1993, iirc, during his 4-week "residency" there. Below is probably my favorite song of his.

By the way, Lloyd reunited with the Commotions and they just put out an album a few weeks ago called Guesswork (some very good stuff and some mediocre stuff, IMO).

I so love that song. We may not agree much on politics or religion, but I would gladly buy you a beer and talk music and Rutgers sports (and argue over the other stuff, lol). We saw Lloyd Cole just once, but it was a stellar show at Maxwell's in Hoboken in 1993, iirc, during his 4-week "residency" there. Below is probably my favorite song of his.

By the way, Lloyd reunited with the Commotions and they just put out an album a few weeks ago called Guesswork (some very good stuff and some mediocre stuff, IMO).

Listened to Easy Pieces today for the first time in a long time — perfect sunny Sunday morning album.

Numbers, The Sonic's" Have Love. Will Travel"is as good a garage tune as there has ever been .It Is sad that American garage rock of 65 and 66 starting with the Kingsmen doing Louie Louie a few years prior has been ignored by most because they could not compete with the British invasion British Blues and Motown It was the original Seattle Portland sound before Cobain was even born.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Numbers, The Sonic's" Have Love. Will Travel"is as good a garage tune as there has ever been .It Is sad that American garage rock of 65 and 66 starting with the Kingsmen doing Louie Louie a few years prior has been ignored by most because they could not compete with the British invasion British Blues and Motown It was the original Seattle Portland sound before Cobain was even born.

Love the Sonics - definitely early garage rock was a progenitor of punk...

Reactions: ivan brunetti
Orville Peck

The new album by Sleater-Kinney

The song Sympathy by Vampire Weekend

Did you see my post above on Orville Peck? Cool stuff. Love most of the new Vampire Weekend album, including "Sympathy" (although I can't stand that song "Sunflower). Never was much of a fan of Sleater-Kinney, though, but have some friends who love them.

Was with Hayden James this weekend. His show is absolutely incredible. He's playing NY coming up. I would definitely go see it if given the chance. Naations is opening for him. They are really great too. Natt's voice is incredible. She does a couple of songs with Hayden that are really good.

Go see him now, he will never play venues this small again. He's show is something you would see on Main Stage Coachella. It's that big, right now.

Was with Hayden James this weekend. His show is absolutely incredible. He's playing NY coming up. I would definitely go see it if given the chance. Naations is opening for him. They are really great too. Natt's voice is incredible. She does a couple of songs with Hayden that are really good.

Go see him now, he will never play venues this small again. He's show is something you would see on Main Stage Coachella. It's that big, right now.

Always like your music posts/suggestions, but just didn't feel it for Hayden James (too "smooth" for me, I guess), although I can definitely see the talent and commercial appeal of his music and could see him getting much bigger. Liked Naations more - really like the female singer's voice.

Here's one for the indie crowd. Haim's new single, "Summer Girl" is getting a lot of airplay and features a pretty cool video of the 3 sisters walking around their hometown of LA.

He's definitely lounge by the pool music. But his show is insane. If you like EDM, I promise you will never see a show like it in the venues he currently playing. It's huge.

Okay, my turn.

My brother-in-law (RC '84) and his band have just released the first single off their EP.

Click here for the link to "Taste of Heaven" on all major music platforms.

Did you see my post above on Orville Peck? Cool stuff. Love most of the new Vampire Weekend album, including "Sympathy" (although I can't stand that song "Sunflower). Never was much of a fan of Sleater-Kinney, though, but have some friends who love them.

First time I heard Orville Peck I thought it was The The. Great voice. Really like Turn to Hate. Not a big market for a masked gay country western style singer though.

Stumbled onto this band at Langosta Lounge in Asbury a few weeks ago......crowd couldn't stop dancing. So good AND entertaining, similar to Lake Street Dive.

Shady Street Show Band

Too long!!!
Saw Tool open for Rollins Band at CBGBs in 1992. The men's room had really sticky floors. I walk in to go, and there is Maynard James Keenan doing pushups before he went on the stage.
Nice!!!!! Finally going to a Tool concert after all these years; AC on 22NOV19. If anyone out there is former military listen to "Invincible" off the new album Fear Inoculum.

First time I heard Orville Peck I thought it was The The. Great voice. Really like Turn to Hate. Not a big market for a masked gay country western style singer though.

I've been playing Orville Peck for a bunch of different people over the last month or two and asking them who he reminds them of and most folks say Lloyd Cole (that was my first thought), but a few have said The The (Matt Johnson). I get your point about the market, but nobody would've even tried this approach 30+ years ago and his current tour (including 2 shows at Music Hall of Williamsburg) is largely sold out.

I've been playing Orville Peck for a bunch of different people over the last month or two and asking them who he reminds them of and most folks say Lloyd Cole (that was my first thought), but a few have said The The (Matt Johnson). I get your point about the market, but nobody would've even tried this approach 30+ years ago and his current tour (including 2 shows at Music Hall of Williamsburg) is largely sold out.

Reminds me of Chris Isaac. I’m going to see Orville in Philly.

Nice!!!!! Finally going to a Tool concert after all these years; AC on 22NOV19. If anyone out there is former military listen to "Invincible" off the new album Fear Inoculum.
I may join you. Don't know if you are a fan of Maynard's other projects, but one I am familiar with since we vacation in Sedona, Arizona regularly is his wine operation in Jerome and Cottonwood.

No doubt NYC can handle him. Not sure about the rest of the country music world

No doubt NYC can handle him. Not sure about the rest of the country music world
Well, his shows are sold out all over the midwest and the south, too, although we're talking theaters and not big venues, yet, although for someone with just one album out, that's pretty impressive, still. And the article below highlights how he's doing very well even in the world of country. I'm sure there is a segment he may never reach, but it's nice to see people just appreciating an artist for his music. I also liked the article's description of his music: "Imagine Roy Orbison jamming with Joy Division, and you’re getting close."

https://www.nashvillescene.com/musi...rville-peck-makes-a-star-turn-at-mercy-lounge

Peck has arrived right on time to a country landscape experiencing a pronounced shift away from straight-white-maleness. As the emcee who announced him and his five-piece band informed the standing-room crowd, he’s the cover boy of the latest British edition of GQ. But the mask wasn’t the only reason Peck stood out among AmericanaFest’s performers. He had the room in the palm of his hand Saturday night with a red-hot festival-length set that was high on atmospherics but didn’t waste a moment.

Well, his shows are sold out all over the midwest and the south, too, although we're talking theaters and not big venues, yet, although for someone with just one album out, that's pretty impressive, still. And the article below highlights how he's doing very well even in the world of country. I'm sure there is a segment he may never reach, but it's nice to see people just appreciating an artist for his music. I also liked the article's description of his music: "Imagine Roy Orbison jamming with Joy Division, and you’re getting close."

https://www.nashvillescene.com/musi...rville-peck-makes-a-star-turn-at-mercy-lounge

Peck has arrived right on time to a country landscape experiencing a pronounced shift away from straight-white-maleness. As the emcee who announced him and his five-piece band informed the standing-room crowd, he’s the cover boy of the latest British edition of GQ. But the mask wasn’t the only reason Peck stood out among AmericanaFest’s performers. He had the room in the palm of his hand Saturday night with a red-hot festival-length set that was high on atmospherics but didn’t waste a moment.

Good stuff

Reactions: RU848789
ADVERTISEMENT