ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Favorite New Music in 2018/2019?

Okay, my turn.

My brother-in-law (RC '84) and his band have just released the first single off their EP.

Click here for the link to "Taste of Heaven" on all major music platforms.

The song was ok, but didn't quite do it for me - maybe I'll like some others more. Love the idea of the band, you know, 4 guys in mid-life deciding, after being fairly successful in other fields, to just say screw it, we like rock and roll more than what we've been doing and are going to take our shot. Would definitely be willing to hear more or see them live, since one song is just one song.

Frank Turner has a new album and companion podcast called Tales from No Man's Land, which is a themed album exploring famous and not so famous but influential women. It's a continuation of his move from punk rock to acoustic folk/pop. Each podcast episode focused on one song and features a subject expert interviewed by Frank. It's a pretty cool way to release an album, as most episodes were released weekly in the lead up to the album.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/frank-turners-tales-from-no-mans-land/id1470096231

I'm currently checking out these two bands:
Caamp....love the tune .."Peach fuzz"
Wilderado...the tune is..."Surefire"

Reminds me of Chris Isaac. I’m going to see Orville in Philly.
Did you go to the Philly show at the Foundry last Thursday (10/10)? My wife and I went after getting tickets on StubHub that were marked up about 25%, as this tour is now all sold out and the press reviews are off the charts positive, as they should be. Thought he was simply awesome. Some fun banter and he shared short stories behind many of the songs and did three great covers, given he only has one album's worth of material. His voice was incredible and the band was better than I expected, including a talented female guitarist who did 2 of the covers with him: one was a Tammy Wynette/George Jones tune, "Something to Brag About" and one was a Gram Parsons/Emmylou Harris duet, "Ooh Las Vegas" - the other cover was a Dixie Chicks song I didn't catch, which she didn't sing on oddly enough.

Ok, I'm always curious to see what new music people are listening to, so post your favorite recent song or songs that have come out in 2018. I'll start. I lean indie/alt, but not exclusively. Here are three of my 2018 favorites.

First, a very new band, Snail Mail, led by 18-year old Lindsey Jordan from Baltimore, who writes the songs, plays lead guitar, and sings. They're playing the Stone Pony on 6/9 (will be there). This song is "Pristine" from their forthcoming new album (first full length). An instant indie classic, if you like haunting and plaintive with just enough edge.

http://www.thefader.com/2018/03/21/snail-mail-pristine-lush-interview-matador

Second is Janelle Monae's gender-bender of an ode to Prince (who was helping on some songs on the record before he died), "Make Me Feel," and you can definitely hear his influence here. Infectious. And, oh yeah, possibly the hottest video ever (she's a real triple threat - she also played one of the leads in the film Hidden Figures).

Third is Courtney Barnett's new song, "Nameless, Faceless," which is reminiscent of Nirvana (to me). Just saw her the other night in Philly and yeah, girls can rock, lol. Plus, she's an awesome lyricist - love this line: ""I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and spit out better words than you."

Coincidence, I think, that these are all female artists. Tons of other great new songs out, but I'd like to see what others offer up. Go...

Listening to new music is relative.
Somehow I missed Keith Richards solo albums for so long… And heard a song that he did Irene back in the 80s: fantastic there’s lotta songs and forth to the gaps we don’t hear them all.

Great thread keep it going

Mo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT