ADVERTISEMENT

OT: FCS Playoff Brackets :

Yep not going to be close playing University of Northern Iowa in their dome.... 49 to 7 prediction loss.

Makes no sense that this can't be done in the FBS.

8 teams
Include all Power 5 conference champs.
Plus 3 at large selections.

OR

16 teams
Include all 10 conference champs.
Plus 6 at large selections.

Plenty of time to finish with championship game the week before the superbowl.

To those that say it would diminish the regular season:
1. We have had some pretty crappy playoff games provided by the current selection of the top 4.
2. Teams have been selected (and even won) after losing regular season games, so the reg. season is meaningless anyway.

I say it would ADD excitement as more teams would have the chance to get a playoff spot right into the final week and conference championship games.

In our current method. at most 5 - 6 teams have a chance of making the playoff at this date.
With an 8 team playoff (including conference champs), there are scenarios that would get a lot of teams in if things broke their way.

And I simply prefer teams having to win it on the field over the idea of selecting teams based on "talent level", or "eyeball test". How about a simple test. Win the games you need to win in a playoff. Period.

Meh. I'd rather have some of those kids in our walk-on program. Have zero reason to root for Monmouth to be quite honest.

Meh. I'd rather have some of those kids in our walk-on program. Have zero reason to root for Monmouth to be quite honest.

In the long term / big picture the overall growth and improvement of prestige for NJ schools will have a broad benefit - chief among these benefits will be a greater interest & desire on the part of NJ kids to consider & attend NJ schools - and a greater influx of out of state kids looking for quality education and programs.

We can look at it in different ways - but I tend to think it is more like a rising tide floats all boats - - and in the long run a more prestigious / prosperous Monmouth, Stevens, SHU, St Peters, Rider, FDU, Drew, Bloomfield, Caldwell - and NJIT, Rowan, Montclair, TCNJ, Ramapo and so on - help to push back against the false stigma that has existed for ages - that idea that you just gotta go out of state to get broader quality options ... and if kids are hearing about peers who are excited about good programs where they are not taking an 8 hour car ride to get home for Thanksgiving - they will have interest.

8 teams

OR

16 teams

1. We have had some pretty crappy playoff games provided by the current selection of the top 4.
2. Teams have been selected (and even won) after losing regular season games, so the reg. season is meaningless anyway.

I say it would ADD excitement as more teams would have the chance to get a playoff spot right into the final week and conference championship games.

In our current method. at most 5 - 6 teams have a chance of making the playoff at this date.
With an 8 team playoff (including conference champs), there are scenarios that would get a lot of teams in if things broke their way.

And I simply prefer teams having to win it on the field over the idea of selecting teams based on "talent level", or "eyeball test". How about a simple test. Win the games you need to win in a playoff. Period.
Scarlet I see your point but respectfully disagree. The unique thing about the college football regular season is that it means so much and some years just one loss can keep you out of the playoff. I think an expanded playoff would devalue that. Instead of arguing over the top 4 teams we will be arguing over the next four. I think the exclusivity in terms of numbers put a premium on the regular season. I also do not like selection committees but I do not know of another way to do it.

I like the expanded playoff idea simply because bowl games are so very different than the regular season.

That is.. teams have a month to prepare for the 4-team playoff and big bowl games. And since these games are always in warm weather locales.. they favor teams used to living and playing in those conditions.

I think a playoff like FCS has would de-emphasize certain advantages that some programs have.. like a huge staff and unlimited budget to prep for a bowl game. With less time to prep for your next opponent, and possibly having to play in cold weather conditions.. I think this would shake up the college football world.. and that would be a good thing.

Make the conference championship games the first round.. so, yeah, if you are not in your conference championship game.. but you are highly ranked.. then you are assigned to play in a wildcard game that same weekend.

And in prepping for this kind of playoff.. have 2 OOC games scheduled by a committee.. no playing Citadel or Mercer in November. Get a better grid of comparison points between conferences. Maybe make the first game in September and November these committee assigned OOC games. Or alternate weekends to spread out these OOC matchups for better TV coverage.

I think the "top" programs and "top" conferences fear such a thing.. but the moment that the SEC or Big Ten does not get a spot in the 4 team playoff.. attitudes might change.

Last edited:

8 teams

OR

16 teams

If you think adding teams will improve quality of the games you must not watch a lot of college football.
16 teams??? Yeah I'd be excited about teams with 3 loses playing for a shot at the Championship.
They do settle it on the field. It' called the regular season. 16 teams would destroy college football.

I love the idea of an expanded playoff at the FBS level. As a fan of FCS, the playoff runs are some of the most exciting football I've ever watched.

In FBS, we don't really know who the top 4 teams are. There are 12 regular season games, most of which are in conference silos. Very little head-to-head among the top teams. There just isn't enough data. So round up a group of the top teams, let 'em duke it out and prove who's best, who's got what it takes. In FCS, the championship game last season was played between the #4 seed and an unseeded team. That matchup would not have happened in FBS, because the unseeded team wouldn't have been in the conversation. That team went out and upset seeded teams (who were seeded higher due to sparse and flawed data) on a wild playoff ride to earn their championship berth (where they lost, but hey, they got in).

Are there downsides? Sure.
For instance, because you don't have much lead time to sell tickets and for people to make plans, and because the games happen during Thanksgiving and after Fall classes end, playoff games tend to be sparsely attended until the championship game itself. Also, you run the risk of a G5 team or two having a chance to win a national championship (an unacceptable risk to many)

But if down the line Rutgers is a #5-16 team, I'd rather see our postseason be fighting for a shot at the national championship than being handed the prize of a New Years Day exhibition game, where the outcome doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot.

Mine is probably a minority opinion on this.

Last edited:
If you think adding teams will improve quality of the games you must not watch a lot of college football.
16 teams??? Yeah I'd be excited about teams with 3 loses playing for a shot at the Championship.
They do settle it on the field. It' called the regular season. 16 teams would destroy college football.

You've got the talking points down, but you are wrong.

Yes, teams with losses could make it into the playoff and even advance (BY BEATING OTHER TEAMS).

What we have now is nothing but a beauty contest.
And the result is some pretty one-sided crappy playoff games anyway.

If the regular season is so meaningful, just how did Ohio State win the natty a few years ago?
As I recall they lost to a mediocre Va. Tech team to open the season.
The regular season is pretty much meaningless now.

bowl games and those realizing financial gain by them make it difficult for a complete playoff scenario

In the long term / big picture the overall growth and improvement of prestige for NJ schools will have a broad benefit - chief among these benefits will be a greater interest & desire on the part of NJ kids to consider & attend NJ schools - and a greater influx of out of state kids looking for quality education and programs.

We can look at it in different ways - but I tend to think it is more like a rising tide floats all boats - - and in the long run a more prestigious / prosperous Monmouth, Stevens, SHU, St Peters, Rider, FDU, Drew, Bloomfield, Caldwell - and NJIT, Rowan, Montclair, TCNJ, Ramapo and so on - help to push back against the false stigma that has existed for ages - that idea that you just gotta go out of state to get broader quality options ... and if kids are hearing about peers who are excited about good programs where they are not taking an 8 hour car ride to get home for Thanksgiving - they will have interest.
Some of that is NJ has more of the smart kids than room.

The rest of the country (most recently the southern schools) love getting our exports.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
You've got the talking points down, but you are wrong.

Yes, teams with losses could make it into the playoff and even advance (BY BEATING OTHER TEAMS).

What we have now is nothing but a beauty contest.
And the result is some pretty one-sided crappy playoff games anyway.

If the regular season is so meaningful, just how did Ohio State win the natty a few years ago?
As I recall they lost to a mediocre Va. Tech team to open the season.
The regular season is pretty much meaningless now.
Regular season meaningless??? Clueless. You do realize no 2 loss team has ever made the playoff! You want to open it up where 3 loss teams can easily skate in.
And you have a problem with Ohio State? 13-1 and Big Ten Champ. Do you even watch college football??

Expanding the field means some multiple-loss teams would get in, sure. It also means undefeated UCF gets in and has a chance to prove they're forreal.

Expanding the field means some multiple-loss teams would get in, sure. It also means undefeated UCF gets in and has a chance to prove they're forreal.
So why stop there? Let all the FCS team in as well [eyeroll]
The idea is to get the best teams in. UCF could always schedule a top P5 team to prove they are real during the regular season. Not backdoor by playing nobody. [cheers]

So why stop there? Let all the FCS team in as well [eyeroll]
The idea is to get the best teams in. UCF could always schedule a top P5 team to prove they are real during the regular season. Not backdoor by playing nobody. [cheers]

It’s the P5 teams that avoid playing the good G5 teams. They schedule the weaker ones and only play them at their own stadiums.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
It’s the P5 teams that avoid playing the good G5 teams. They schedule the weaker ones and only play them at their own stadiums.
And if you want to be considered for national recognition you go play them anytime anywhere. Fresno, Boise VTech had no problem getting on the big boys schedule.

And if you want to be considered for national recognition you go play them anytime anywhere. Fresno, Boise VTech had no problem getting on the big boys schedule.

They still do, but w the Big 10, Pac 12, ACC going to 9conference games ,there are fewer cupcakes for the P5 to schedule to get bowl eligible. The G5 is desperate, and searching for scraps. They never get a P5 at home.

They still do, but w the Big 10, Pac 12, ACC going to 9conference games ,there are fewer cupcakes for the P5 to schedule to get bowl eligible. The G5 is desperate, and searching for scraps. They never get a P5 at home.
I have no problem them not getting a home game. Go prove yourself, the other teams have proven them self over time. Go on the road and win. Otherwise keep playing UCFs schedule but don' beg to sit at the big boy table.
This myth that the FCS is such a great system where anyone can win it all is a joke. Over the last 30 years there have been 8 different winners. Just 8. The FBS has had 17 different winners over the same time.

I have no problem them not getting a home game. Go prove yourself, the other teams have proven them self over time. Go on the road and win. Otherwise keep playing UCFs schedule but don' beg to sit at the big boy table.
This myth that the FCS is such a great system where anyone can win it all is a joke. Over the last 30 years there have been 8 different winners. Just 8. The FBS has had 17 different winners over the same time.

The good G5 teams DO try to schedule the P5 wherever, whenever, the problem is that w most of the P5 now only having 3 OOC, they look to get all at home, and against the worst of the G5 (lower half Sunbelt, MW, MAC). There is no upside for any P5 to schedule Boise, Navy, UCF even at home. They get a few here and there.

Reactions: OTBOTOR

There have been 15 FCS champions in that time.

Am I reading the brackets correctly - they expanded the field and some of these teams would have to play 5 games to win the national title? So much for protecting college athletes and academics - the hypocrisy of the NCAA

Am I reading the brackets correctly - they expanded the field and some of these teams would have to play 5 games to win the national title? So much for protecting college athletes and academics - the hypocrisy of the NCAA
Then play less regular season games.

10 should be enough for this level and below.

My nephew is a HS QB in Ohio. They play a 10 game regular season, and they have won 3 playoff games, if they win 2 more , they are overall Ohio State Champs (largest school D1). That would make 15 games, 10 regular season and 5 playoffs if they go all the way . Ohio has 7 school size divisions, so thats 14 High schools that get to 15 games. I'm pretty sure Texas and other states have similiar set ups.

The two teams playing in the FCS championship will have played 15 games if seeded, 16 games if not seeded.

Today the FBS championship game participants play 15 games.

8-12 as of today are
OSU
ND
TCU
USC
Ped State

People going to really argue they couldn't win a playoff game or two?

Reactions: Abro1975
UCF was scheduled to play Georgia Tech but the game was cancelled by a hurricane.

Twelve team FBS playoffs with the first round on campus and four teams getting a bye. The bye is a big edge and so is a home game. Maybe first two rounds on campus. Regular season overall resume gets you those byes and home games.

No it wouldn't , those OOC games would be meaningful for getting a good seed and possible bye, just like it does in the NFL and FCS.

Huh? In the NFL your total record matters for winning wc or division and MAKING the playoffs at all.

UCF was scheduled to play Georgia Tech but the game was cancelled by a hurricane.

Twelve team FBS playoffs with the first round on campus and four teams getting a bye. The bye is a big edge and so is a home game. Maybe first two rounds on campus. Regular season overall resume gets you those byes and home games.
First round at schools. From there you use existing bowl games to appease the money machine

Reactions: koleszar
ADVERTISEMENT