ADVERTISEMENT

OT: FDA Calls For Halt On J&J Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truthfully there needs to be a huge public health campaign about exercise and cutting sugar. Just a simple message about 2 things to ensure its not over complicated. That exercise could even be just going on a 1 hour walk daily.

I was already in pretty good shape this time last year but over the past year I decided to put together a strict plan of

-meal prep
-cut added sugars
-drink a gallon of water daily
-walk 10 miles a day
-exercising in my home 5-6 times a week for 50 minutes each session

I went from 13% body fat to 8% body fat and im now 5’9 162 and I was previously 5’9 176

if someone like me could lose additional weight, the obese crowd can too
Washington Post takes note--that's good--
And I have harped on this before. The food they serve in hospitals to patients is shameful-carb-loaded crap--toast, corn flakes, orange juice, etc. And doctor's offices and break rooms full of candy, cupcakes and donuts?:

Reactions: bac2therac
Would be helpful if they could narrow it down.

If it's birth control, would still let men and some women be able to get it.

Reactions: Greg2020
I was told J&J used traditional tech, no? I didn't look too close because I'm not in the market but the internet seems to say it's traditional tech.
No, both the J &J and Astra Zeneca are something called viral vector. They use a harmless virus to deliver the instructions for making the spike protein, which then generates the immune response, as opposed to Pfizer and Moderna which use mRNA to deliver those instructions.

Traditional vaccine tech is to deliver the thing that generates the immune response directly, not to deliver the instructions for your body to make it.

Anti vaxxers now have the ammo that will block vaccine progress-- hey don't get vaccinated if you're that dopey. But please stay locked up in your basement
you seem to draw no distinction between some pejorative "anti-vaxxer", which sure sounds like you think people are unthinking or some type of "anti-science" - and people who simply have reasonable concerns and questions which really haven't been addressed or answered.

I've stated many times - I've already gotten mine - but, I bear no anger or angst to anyone who is concerned, but taking a more conservative approach.

if you are really just referring to people who love to amplify worry and confusion on the internet - then, yeah, those people suck - but, just stop reading the internet....

Reactions: LETSGORU91
I too used the state signup early on after it first launched. So did 3 other couples that we’re friends with. We all were quickly assigned to a phase and we all started getting those “hang on, not yet” emails from the state. One day about 6 weeks ago that turned into “you can schedule now” so we did so at Rowan....smooth & easy process.

I recognize that our experience may have been better given how close to the site’s launch that we all registered. And I recognize that others who registered later have been getting the run around. So it’s not perfect (not by a long shot), but also not a complete and utter failure — worked just fine for me (and everyone else I know who registered at that same time).
That's because I'm guessing you all are in your 40s and not in the early groups of 1a b or c. So waiting for a few months was always part of equation.

Reactions: Kbee3
QUESTION: If you are required to take an experimental vaccine by your university, should the university be held liable if you develop complications by taking the vaccine?
If you're talking about Rutgers, they get around that by continuing virtual classes for those who don't want the vaccine.

You beat me to it. But the 6.8 million doses might be the ones delivered. Looks like maybe 4 million have been administered according to the first place I looked. Either way, 6 cases is minor to either numbers. Last November a study was published showing 20% of covid patients were diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis. With 31 million infected patients in the US, that means based on the study, there could be around 600,000 people with deep vein blood clots due to covid. At the current disclosed rate of clotting for J&J in relation to 31 million people, it would be expected that around 45 people would develop blood clots with the vaccine. 45 vs. 600,000. So far, no brainer to get vaccinated with respect J&J and blood clots only with early, limited data.
Yep, so far it's 6 out of 7 million people, i.e., about 1 in 1MM who have experienced vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia (VITT). Yes, a pause was warranted, as potentially serious adverse events - even rare ones that would never be detected in clinical trials with 20-40K patients - need to be investigated and the outcomes (and possibly any revised guidances) clearly communicated, as that's what the whole VAERS (vaccine adverse event reporting system) system is about. This kind of thing cannot just be swept under the rug if we want people to have confidence in our regulatory system for drugs and vaccines.

Given that the rate of clotting events is a bit below what has been seen with the Astra-Zeneca adenovirus vector vaccine (which uses a chimp adenovirus, while J&J uses a human adenvirurs as the "carrier" for the genetic info that prompts the immune system to generate an army ready to respond to the coronavirus), where about 6 per 1MM vaccine recipients experienced clotting, I would guess that this will be a temporary pause and the message will go out to doctors and especially younger women to be on the lookout for any signs of this side effect. Whether or not younger women will be advised to take the mRNA vaccines instead of J&J is an open question (likely in Europe for the AZ vaccine).

Clearly, though, the cost benefit of perhaps having 1 in 1MM people experience serious clotting from a vaccine (if confirmed that the vaccine is the root cause here for J&J) vs. preventing more than a 1000 deaths per 1MM vaccinated (if we vaccinate 100% of our 270MM adults, we'd prevent about 300-400K additional deaths, which is a bit more than 1000 deaths per 1MM vaccinated) - and 3-4X that number of serious illnesses from COVID - is crystal clear. Same for the Astra Zeneca side effect. Derek Lowe has a good blog entry on this about the AZ vaccine yesterday, which generally applies to the J&J case too. Hopefully, any dip in public confidence in the vaccines will be small, as we still have a pandemic out there, which will only be defeated by vaccinating as many people as we possibly can.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/us/politics/johnson-johnson-vaccine-blood-clots-fda-cdc.html

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2021/04/12/az-oxford-calculations

One more thing to keep in mind: the risks of clotting from getting COVID are far, far greater than the risk of clotting from getting vaccinated, as explained well in the link below, by a well-known allergist/immunologist, who has been involved in the vaccine trials: “You’re much more likely to clot from the real Covid-19 virus, which is about 1 in 20 people hospitalized or even 1 in 100 recovering at home. That’s far more likely.” Again, this doesn't mean we should ignore what looks to be an extremely rare side effect from the J&J vaccine, but we also can't let that stop the progress vaccination is making against the far, far deadlier pandemic.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/13/blo...om-covid-than-jj-vaccine-dr-purvi-parikh.html

So:
has there been any direct link between the shot and the problems?

is this sort of issue normal (relatively speaking 6 of 6 million sounds sad - but not unreasonable - but I'm no expert?

...at full price.
Not yet - that's why they're recommending a pause in use of the J&J vaccine while the extremely rare side effect is investigated. Even if a link is established, as I just posted, my guess is we'd continue with using the J&J vaccine, but with a clear label highlighting the risk for those at risk (and what patients/doctors should look out for). A side effect in 1 in 1MM people simply can't be detected by even large mega clinical trials like we had for the vaccines with 20-40K people. It's why there is the post approval monitoring system, so the "system" worked. Now it's up to the FDA to decide what to do about it, if anything more than simply communicating the risk.

well my close friend just buried her mom a week ago because the niece came home from college (unknowingly being covid positive) and visited her mom who caught it from her then was hospitalized and succumbed to it. So sometimes its not just about the kid in college.

Why wasn't she wasn't already vaccinated if she had predisposed conditions ?
Anti vaxxers now have the ammo that will block vaccine progress-- hey don't get vaccinated if you're that dopey. But please stay locked up in your basement

I don't think anyone's antiVaxx here ITT

You got it backwards though, they scared cats all along wearing their 4 masks should continue to stay home

The rest of us have been out and about and unmasked as much as possible.

SIAP: My kid (EMT) just told me that there's a patient at JFK Hospital (Edison) today that was admitted with serious COVID symptoms who has been fully vaccinated for over two weeks now. And that news vans are all over the place covering the "story".

Not sure which vaccine, or how accurate that info is.

you seem to draw no distinction between some pejorative "anti-vaxxer", which sure sounds like you think people are unthinking or some type of "anti-science" - and people who simply have reasonable concerns and questions which really haven't been addressed or answered.

I've stated many times - I've already gotten mine - but, I bear no anger or angst to anyone who is concerned, but taking a more conservative approach.

if you are really just referring to people who love to amplify worry and confusion on the internet - then, yeah, those people suck - but, just stop reading the internet....
everyone was "concerned" about the vaccines--read my post, "anti-vaxxers are in a class of their own--they don't want or believe in vaccines --now there are really dopey people who think the current covid vaccines are some kind of conspiracy or uneccessary--either way they don't help to stem the pandemic, to the contrary they help keep it going ---therefore let them stay in their basements and not come near reasonable humans

I'll take it in a slightly different direction -

There were roughly ~2000 Deaths out of ~5.4 million cases in the US ages 18-29 : 0.04%
There was 1 death out of ~7 million J&J vaccine doses : 0.00001%
Ok but why not age adjust for the vaccine too? Surely most of the doses have gone to older people and the one death was in the younger age bracket. Additionally we can adjust CFR to IFR and the numbers will bend more in my favor.

Not really "traditional tech." This ain't software or hardware!

I had posted this before, but this is one of the best descriptions I have read:

The genetic material in the mRNA vaccines is RNA, whereas the genetic material in the J&J vaccine is DNA, but both encode the information to make the spike protein of SARS-CoV-2.

“Inside the adenovirus is the DNA that your body will use to make into RNA and then into the spike protein of the coronavirus,” said Gandhi. She noted that the DNA and RNA then quickly degrade in the human body and do not have the ability to affect our chromosomes.

Once your cells make the spike protein, all three vaccines work similarly. “The spike protein doesn’t look like anything in our human body,” said Gandhi. “So, you raise an immune response with T cells and antibodies to that spike protein, and that allows you to fight the virus if you ever see it in the future.”

This type of adenovirus technology has been used in an Ebola vaccine but is still relatively new. “It’s more familiar than mRNA technology, but I wouldn’t say it is the most familiar technology either,” said Gandhi.

I'll do more research on the J&J vaccine if I get interested in taking one. Until then I'll be staying away from the J&J vaccine too.

As to the bold part but what are they telling your cells to do before or as they decay is the question. And how long does that linger until it manifests itself? That's my question. Trillions of copies of mRNA (or now DNA) injected into my cells to tell it to make spike proteins. What about the chemical typos? Or the degraded mRNA/DNA instructions? No one knows if they will encode for a cancer down the road or something that might cause the cancer. Or something I have no idea about because I am not an expert. No long term test? No long term take. Good luck to ya'll though.

Reactions: RUaMoose
No, both the J &J and Astra Zeneca are something called viral vector. They use a harmless virus to deliver the instructions for making the spike protein, which then generates the immune response, as opposed to Pfizer and Moderna which use mRNA to deliver those instructions.

Traditional vaccine tech is to deliver the thing that generates the immune response directly, not to deliver the instructions for your body to make it.

Well I've become even less interested then. I was under the impressions J&J was a dead or weakened Covid virus.

I’ve gotten many vaccines just won’t get this one, at least not anytime soon. Maybe “anti COVID vaxxer” is a better description

Reactions: Jm0513
Does anyone see the same "Similar Threads" promoted by this board at the bottom of the thread.? Two threads make sense, but the other three are in outer space.

5ddAroU.png

I’ve gotten many vaccines just won’t get this one, at least not anytime soon. Maybe “anti COVID vaxxer” is a better description

I see if you are skeptical of new vaccine tech you are automatically an anti-vaxxer. Despite 50 years of taking traditional vaccines. SMH.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Since I was blasted as anti- vax, I stated my wife and I have taken the Pfizer vaccine on March 26th and go this Friday for our second shot at the Burlington County Mega Site. Before the vaccine thread was moved, I was blasted for saying the J&J was very similar to the AstraZeneca vaccine. Turns out, their side effects are.

everyone was "concerned" about the vaccines--read my post, "anti-vaxxers are in a class of their own--they don't want or believe in vaccines --now there are really dopey people who think the current covid vaccines are some kind of conspiracy or uneccessary--either way they don't help to stem the pandemic, to the contrary they help keep it going ---therefore let them stay in their basements and not come near reasonable humans
in a nation of 350,000,000 people, .1% of the population doing any one thing can seem annoying... but, is it really a big deal? (and, sure, I'm just randomly pulling .1% as an example).

I don't see "antivaxxers" as an actual problem. Certainly no worse than the "virtue signaling get your vaccine or you're a horrible person and can't ever enter society again" nazis out there.

if the vaccine actually works as they say - and we can all be adults and realize life is a series of trade-off and reasonable-risk-assumptions, then we can all just relax a bit - give people some time and this crisis has largely passed, we are clearly on "the downslope" and just have some mutual respect and patience.

in a nation of 350,000,000 people, .1% of the population doing any one thing can seem annoying... but, is it really a big deal? (and, sure, I'm just randomly pulling .1% as an example).

I don't see "antivaxxers" as an actual problem. Certainly no worse than the "virtue signaling get your vaccine or you're a horrible person and can't ever enter society again" nazis out there.

if the vaccine actually works as they say - and we can all be adults and realize life is a series of trade-off and reasonable-risk-assumptions, then we can all just relax a bit - give people some time and this crisis has largely passed, we are clearly on "the downslope" and just have some mutual respect and patience.

They're a problem if we don't reach herd immunity. If we do, fk em.

Also they're raging hypocrites, at least the ones who complained every minute along the way about restrictions, then refuse to do anything about it when ball gets thrown to them. If you don't want to vax, cool ...then don't complain about football games and spew crocodile tears about lost businesses.

Also kind of funny that now you're all about patience and understanding.

Well I've become even less interested then. I was under the impressions J&J was a dead or weakened Covid virus.
If that is the angle you are looking for, then you probably want the Novavax vaccine when it is approved soon.

it doesn’t use a whole dead or weakened virus, but it uses the actual spike proteins from the virus in the vaccine (instead of getting your immune system to create the spike proteins like the other current COVID vaccines do).

I think the only vaccine that claimed to be a whole virus vaccine is the one China is using, and they rolled out that one so quick who knows what is really in it.

They're a problem if we don't reach herd immunity. If we do, fk em.

Also they're raging hypocrites, at least the ones who complained every minute along the way about restrictions, then refuse to do anything about it when ball gets thrown to them. If you don't want to vax, cool ...then don't complain about football games and spew crocodile tears about lost businesses.

Also kind of funny that now you're all about patience and understanding.
You throw a lot of insults around for someone who isn’t informed enough to know that by now the evidence has shown that states that locked down did no better, and in some cases worse, than states that didn’t.

You throw a lot of insults around for someone who isn’t informed enough to know that by now the evidence has shown that states that locked down did no better, and in some cases worse, than states that didn’t.

I wasn't throwing insults around. And that is a completely oversimplified misrepresentation that has been disproven repeatedly.

Try harder.

We can all get along even if we don't share the same view on whether we personally have/will get vaccinated or will not. Oddly, don't see the people who have chosen not to get vaccinated throwing stones at those who go vaccinated or virtue signaling.

We can all get along even if we don't share the same view on whether we personally have/will get vaccinated or will not. Oddly, don't see the people who have chosen not to get vaccinated throwing stones at those who go vaccinated or virtue signaling.

Lol. I guess you must have been closing your eyes for the past year of "living under the bed" comments. Or virtue signaling of "the poor schoolchildren."

C'mon, dude.

I wasn't throwing insults around. And that is a completely oversimplified misrepresentation that has been disproven repeatedly.

Try harder.
You insulted people who complained about the lockdowns. Evidence has shown that they were right because one size fits all lockdown policies have proven to be ineffective.

Some areas needed to be restricted based on density, but in other areas not only were the restrictions unnecessary, they have caused collateral effects like (just keeping to strictly medical issues) delayed cancer screenings, delayed cancer treatments, increased obesity, etc..

Lol. I guess you must have been closing your eyes for the past year of "living under the bed" comments. Or virtue signaling of "the poor schoolchildren."

C'mon, dude.
Aren't those three different things?
1. Going outside the house;
2. Kids not in school;
3. Getting vaccinated

All three have substantially different considerations. Don't see any commonality

You insulted people who complained about the lockdowns. Evidence has shown that they were right because one size fits all lockdown policies have proven to be ineffective.

Some areas needed to be restricted based on density, but in other areas not only were the restrictions unnecessary, they have caused collateral effects like (just keeping to strictly medical issues) delayed cancer screenings, delayed cancer treatments, increased obesity, etc..
No, I didn't. I did call out the ones who also refuse to vax, tho. Thats the way you get what you want, not by complaining on an RU message board. Otherwise, put the mask back on and take your chances with the gov.

And you just (rightfully) admitted there was no one size fits all lockdown approach; the states varied greatly on their approaches based on their own circumstances.

No, J&J and AZ are not dead/weakened COVID viruses, they're inactive adenoviruses carrying the DNA, which our cells use to make the CV spike protein antigen to stimulate the body's immune response to that antigen, so that if the "real" CV infects the host, the body is prepared with antibodies and T/B cells to fight the virus. The mRNA vaccines short circuit this loop by delivering the actual mRNA to trigger production of the virus's spike protein.

For all three vaccines, they're simply delivering genetic material our cells use to make the spike protein, triggering the immune response, rather than the weakened/dead virus approach, which essentially delivers the actual antigen (the spike protein on the actual virus) to trigger the immune response. The DNA or mRNA simply drive the immune system response - they are not involved in any kind of mutagenic response (that's been tested) in the body at all, so cancers would not be expected.

Furthermore, these new vaccines are on the verge of becoming the most closely studied vaccines in history, with tens of millions and now hundreds of millions of people having been vaccinated in just months - and this rare side effect in about 1 in 1MM people is actually strong evidence that the vaccine safety monitoring system (VAERS) is working nearly perfectly. Clinical trials with 20-40K people can only "see" side effects that are present in 1-2 per 40K or so, which is the equivalent of 50 per 1MM, so we should consider it a huge positive that we can now see side effects in the range of 1 in 1MM. IMO, this should actually give people even more confidence in getting these vaccines.

Lastly, explain for me your calculus here. I think you're close in age to me (50-64), meaning you're chances of dying from COVID are roughly about 4300 per 1MM (~90K dead in ~60MM people in that age group, of which about 35% have likely been infected or 21MM) if you become infected (much higher death rate if you get symptomatic COVID) and your chances of being hospitalized are about 3-4X that or about ~15,000 per 1MM. On the flip side, your chances of being hospitalized if you from COVID if you get vaccinated are very close to zero and your chance of dying are zero, while the risks of being vaccinated are at most a serious side effect in 1 in 1MM people (if this clotting side effect is tied to the vaccine). I simply don't understand, looking at the comparative risk/benefit of the vaccine, how anyone in our age group (and anyone, really, as these comparisons are still way positive for the vaccine even for 20 year olds) would not jump at getting accinated.

SIAP: My kid (EMT) just told me that there's a patient at JFK Hospital (Edison) today that was admitted with serious COVID symptoms who has been fully vaccinated for over two weeks now. And that news vans are all over the place covering the "story".

Not sure which vaccine, or how accurate that info is.
Posted this already on current events..the J&J vax is way less effective than the other 2..people should be choosy

Aren't those three different things?
1. Going outside the house;
2. Kids not in school;
3. Getting vaccinated

All three have substantially different considerations. Don't see any commonality

So you're admitting you completely ignore the insults on one side, but get incensed about those on the other?

Last I checked, no one was insulting you. So if you're going to call for peace and unity ...do it.

That's because there simply aren't any anti-vaxx "stones to throw." The risk/benefit calcuations for getting vaccinated (see my other reply from a few minutes ago) are beyond overwhelming for the vaccine. Knowing that and knowing that the only way that this pandemic becomes prolonged is if not enough people get vaccinated, leading potentially to vaccine-eluding variants, the people on the side of science and ending the pandemic have every reason to "strongly encourage" all the anti-vaccine folks to get vaccinated for the good of society.

That's because there simply aren't any anti-vaxx "stones to throw." The risk/benefit calcuations for getting vaccinated (see my other reply from a few minutes ago) are beyond overwhelming for the vaccine. Knowing that and knowing that the only way that this pandemic becomes prolonged is if not enough people get vaccinated, leading potentially to vaccine-eluding variants, the people on the side of science and ending the pandemic have every reason to "strongly encourage" all the anti-vaccine folks to get vaccinated for the good of society.

Exactly.

Why would those against vaxxing throw stones ...we're carrying their weight.

Reactions: RU848789
So you're admitting you completely ignore the insults on one side, but get incensed about those on the other?

Last I checked, no one was insulting you. So if you're going to call for peace and unity ...do it.
I took a vacation from these boards for a while because of the insults, so perhaps I missed a lot. I don't understand vitriol on either side. That said, however, in my personal observation and experience, the virtue signalers seem to be more vocal and critical of those who don't want to get the vaccine (or who are waiting). It's their choice.

Maybe I'll go on vacation from the board again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT