ADVERTISEMENT

OT: FDA Calls For Halt On J&J Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a serious response? Not picking on you, just wondering if you are serious-link?

Not directed at you, but some have been dressed down by others on this forum for being reluctant to get vaccinated. As always, a personal choice on such a medical decision is just that- personal-just like recruits say- respect their decision, regardless of whether you disagree with it.
Actually, recruits usually say that when decommitting and not wanting to be questioned why they had reserved a valuable scholly at some school despite not being done with the recruiting process.

Reactions: Greg2020
FWIW... I had the JnJ 2 weeks ago Wednesday. aside from the usual bitch of a headache many reported... no real side effects

im just some average middle-aged white guy...... i wouldn't worry too much. i figure 99% chance it probably helps 95%....... so, why not -- blood clots, hit by a bus, die of ass-cancer tomorrow... life has risks;
The FDA panicked and shouldn't have done this. Absolutely no causation between the vaccine and blood clots (which are relatively common in younger women due to many risk factors, including increased estrogen via birth control pills).

If those clots were caused by the vaccine.. do you really think 6 will be all there is?

C'mon.. the FDA halted it for a reason. Anyone who brings this up is just saying due caution is waranted.
Go back and take a look at how #s addresses that question. With smaller trial sizes, small pockets of problems may not exist or be evident. The real life trial now has 6 million (I think) people who have received the J&J vaccine. In those six million people, there will be people who have heart attacks, strokes, blood clots in the leg and lung, etc., irregardless of being vaccinated or not. The question will be if those vaccinated increase the incidence or does it stay the same . FYI, the lifetime incidence of developing a venous blood clot is about 1 in 1,000, so it's bound to happen in those six million.
SjvoZxuG.jpeg
Who the heck is Candace Owen and who cares about her Twitter?
SIAP: My kid (EMT) just told me that there's a patient at JFK Hospital (Edison) today that was admitted with serious COVID symptoms who has been fully vaccinated for over two weeks now. And that news vans are all over the place covering the "story".

Not sure which vaccine, or how accurate that info is.
If it is a story, how did the media catch wind of it so quick in light of patient privacy laws? Sounds a little fishy to me and nothing is showing up under a quick Google search.
Posted this already on current events..the J&J vax is way less effective than the other 2..people should be choosy
You remember J&J was trialed against many of the variants whereas Pfizer and Moderna went up against the primary strain, right? I'm pretty sure that was explained to you several times before. Pfizer and Moderna efficacies were not tested against the variants, so your statement holds no weight until a comparable study is concluded. Feel free to report back in about half a year.

Last edited:
So what is it Numbers? Do the vaccines such as Pfizer /Moderna/ J& J protect you enough to be able to eat in a restaurant which separates it’s tables.
The vaccines protect the vaccinated much better than that. I'm no longer taking any precautions for myself as I have zero fear anymore of COVID, since I know the worst that will happen is a bad flu, which I can live with and I'm far less likely to not have any infection. I still wear a mask in public indoor spaces around people I don't know in order to protect them on the tiny chance I could be infectious - to me it's common courtesy, but almost certainly unnecessary, although without the data (which we truly can't get without conducting unethical controlled exposure experiments), it's smart to go the conservative route on this. My thinking is many of the current conservative public health measures will only be relaxed when case transmissions go really low, hopefully by June/July if we get enough people vaccinated.

Go back and take a look at how #s addresses that question. With smaller trial sizes, small pockets of problems may not exist or be evident. The real life trial now has 6 million (I think) people who have received the J&J vaccine. In those six million people, there will be people who have heart attacks, strokes, blood clots in the leg and lung, etc., irregardless of being vaccinated or not. The question will be if those vaccinated increase the incidence or does it stay the same . FYI, the lifetime incidence of developing a venous blood clot is about 1 in 1,000, so it's bound to happen in those six million.
Truth. The amount of people being vaccinated is huge. Many will have normal events, just like the general pop. As I posted in a previous thread:

In the US, 7,500 people die per day on average (pre-covid data). We are currently vaccinating 2m people a day. There are 331m people in the US. Time for some 5th grade math:

2m / 331m = 0.6% of people get vaccinated each day

7,500 * 0.6% = 45

Based on back of the napkin statistical probability, on average up to 45 people per day will die on the same day they got the vaccine. People die, they die everyday regardless of what they do, what they eat, where they go, what they drink, and what medicine they take. Same holds true with the other time periods cited above. I'm too lazy to do the math, but the point is the same.

Time for everyone to grow up and stop with the conspiracy BS.

Who the heck is Candace Owen and who cares about her Twitter?

If it is a story, how did the media catch wind of it so quick in light of patient privacy laws? Sounds a little fishy to me and nothing is showing up under a quick Google search.

You remember J&J was trialed against many of the variants whereas Pfizer and Moderna went up against the primary strain, right? I'm pretty sure that was explained to you several times before. Pfizer and Moderna efficacies were not tested against the variants, so your statement holds no weight until a comparable study is concluded. Feel free to report back in about half a year.

lmfao..this story about the sick man was out days ago....fool

The FDA panicked and shouldn't have done this. Absolutely no causation between the vaccine and blood clots (which are relatively common in younger women due to many risk factors, including increased estrogen via birth control pills).

You might have a good point.
But with the Pfizer and Modera vaccines not showing problems, pausing J&J might not delay everyone’s ability to be fully vaccinated as bad as it seems with the J&J vax off the market temporally

There have been six reported cases among more than 6.8 million doses of the J&J vaccine administered in the United States.
That just shows nothing that keeps you safe can be considered foolproof and like most drugs perscribed by doctors can have bad side effects, but usually don't.

I read the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, which is not in use in the US but is in Canada and much of Europe, uses a formula similar to the J&J vaccine was briefly paused as health authorities in Europe considered some cases of blood clots caused by that vaccine .
That vaccine had 18 deaths out of more than 25 million vaccines administered
But the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccineis being used again in much of Europe, and the European Medicines Agency recently said the benefits of vaccination outweigh the very rare side effect of blood clotting..

The vaccines protect the vaccinated much better than that. I'm no longer taking any precautions for myself as I have zero fear anymore of COVID, since I know the worst that will happen is a bad flu, which I can live with and I'm far less likely to not have any infection. I still wear a mask in public indoor spaces around people I don't know in order to protect them on the tiny chance I could be infectious - to me it's common courtesy, but almost certainly unnecessary, although without the data (which we truly can't get without conducting unethical controlled exposure experiments), it's smart to go the conservative route on this. My thinking is many of the current conservative public health measures will only be relaxed when case transmissions go really low, hopefully by June/July if we get enough people vaccinated.
Don't disagree with your common courtesy viewpoint currently. However what is your thoughts 2-3 months from now that everyone that wants to gets vaccinated is and those that haven't been are simply those that refuse for any dumb reason? Are you still going to wear a mask for them. Are you still going to be happy if Rutgers keeps attendance for family members only? I'm guessing by July there will be more vaccines then arms willing to take it. At that point we should all go back to 100% normal.

Nice diversion again ducking my response to your inaccuracies. I'm beginning to think you just derive pleasure from acting like an idiot on here. The stories about the different vaccines and how some were tested on primary strains versus one that was tested on many of the variants were out months ago. And it was explained to you several times. And I even was kind enough to give you the Cliffs Notes version...and you still dont understand it. You call me a fool for not hearing about some story that doesnt even make the first page on a Google search..priceless babble only capable by just about...well you.

The DNA and mRNA do not simply drive the immune response. A dead Covid virus would drive it but we can't figure that out. The DNA/mRNA program the vaccinated cells to generate Covid external proteins that then drive the "natural" immune response. Which is exactly what I've been saying all along. If these DNA or mRNA instructions get corrupted then there's no telling what the vaccinated cell will create. Or if they create anything or what that created thing may cause in 20 years. You have added nothing to the discussion I've been having except to see yourself inject a couple thousand characters to attract attention - as usual.

I'll worry about my decision making and you stick to providing me those infallible weather forecasts. I forgot to Ignore you after the weather threads went away. And I'll unignore you when they're back. For entertainment.
It's obvious you simply have no understanding of how viruses, nucleic acids, proteins and the immune system interact, so further discussion is likely useless. Your fears of what injected RNA/DNA might do in the body are no different from what actual RNA/DNA do in the body. I think you've read too many sci fi novels. And your decision-making is beyond flawed, which is why you couldn't even muster up a lame defense of it.

I wrote this in response to the CE board post yesterday, but the “headline” effectiveness number against the virus for JNJ is after 28 days. The guy you’re referring to was not at that number yet.

Anyways, all of the vaccines are effective, all of them will become less effective as time goes on with a substantial amount of unvaccinated Americans. The best vaccine for an American right now is the one within closest reach to jab into his or her arm.

Don't disagree with your common courtesy viewpoint currently. However what is your thoughts 2-3 months from now that everyone that wants to gets vaccinated is and those that haven't been are simply those that refuse for any dumb reason? Are you still going to wear a mask for them. Are you still going to be happy if Rutgers keeps attendance for family members only? I'm guessing by July there will be more vaccines then arms willing to take it. At that point we should all go back to 100% normal.
Now those are the key questions, which I don't know the answer to and the answers will likely be different in different locations to some extent. If we get to where I think we will by sometime in July with >70% of adults vaccinated and cases/deaths down to a trickle, I will still wear a mask if asked to, but I won't be happy about it, although if wearing a mask is required to have full stadiums, I'll comply, grudgingly. If we have such low numbers and we don't fully reopen large events, I'll be unhappy about it. I'm also ok with vaccine "passports" but I see them as a transitional solution from now until the time we should be fully open.

Truth. The amount of people being vaccinated is huge. Many will have normal events, just like the general pop. As I posted in a previous thread:

In the US, 7,500 people die per day on average (pre-covid data). We are currently vaccinating 2m people a day. There are 331m people in the US. Time for some 5th grade math:

2m / 331m = 0.6% of people get vaccinated each day

7,500 * 0.6% = 45

Based on back of the napkin statistical probability, on average up to 45 people per day will die on the same day they got the vaccine. People die, they die everyday regardless of what they do, what they eat, where they go, what they drink, and what medicine they take. Same holds true with the other time periods cited above. I'm too lazy to do the math, but the point is the same.

Time for everyone to grow up and stop with the conspiracy BS.
Good post. Minor correction: we're up to 3.2MM vaccinations per day on a 7 day avg.

Kyk, I walk and hike far more than the average person, but very few people have the time to walk 10 miles a day. Not to mention the wear and tear in their feet, ankles, and knees (unless you walk on a spongy track at a high school). That is A LOT of walking. But good for you. Keep it up. One of the good side effects of the whole corona year has been the HUUUGE increase in people being outdoors. I see so many more people walking, hiking, bicycling , etc. So many more people are out fishing—great to see so many more kids with their Dads (and sometimes Moms) at the lakes and ocean fishing. Fishing and hunting licenses have gone through the roof, as have bicycle sales.

nice weather tonight took an extra lap haha

Reactions: Jm0513
RU#s posted a link a bit earlier (https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2021...early-a-month-after-receiving-jj-vaccine.html). Turns out the story isn't totally new. I think what's new, today, is that there were so many news trucks at the hospital, causing my kid to speculate that the press will possibly overstate the situation.

The NJ.COM article, thankfully, does not overstate things and puts the case in the proper perspective. ~95% effective at preventing infections in the trials doesn't equate to 100% effective at preventing infection in the general population. I keep finding myself having to explain this to people.

I also keep finding myself surprised just how few people seem willing to take a few moments to educate themselves on even simple stuff like the effectiveness of the various vaccines and similar stuff.

Fishing and hunting licenses have gone through the roof, as have bicycle sales.
Don't have to walk far to get easy pickings for deer hunting. They're all over the place now. It's pretty odd to see them strolling along unperturbed by us walking down the street in crowded suburban neighborhoods. Pre-COVID, they tended to restrict themselves to areas adjacent to wooded areas. Not anymore.

Story linked below. Person vaccinated with the J&J vaccine came down with COVID 25 days after being vaccinated and is in critical condition at JFK. As I just posted, this was bound to happen for a handful of people - almost like the clotting side effects. Clincal trials showed no hospitalizations for 20-40K patients (which equates to somewhere less than 25 in 1MM), but that won't detect a hosp/death rate that is 1 in 1MM. Also, note that the J&J clinical data considers full protection to be after 28 days post-vaccination, not 25 days, so the story is slightly misleading.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2021...early-a-month-after-receiving-jj-vaccine.html
Thanks. Yep, I'm expecting people to catch and even occasionally get pretty sick from COVID after vaccination. Just not a lot of people (barring a variant popping up that somehow eludes the reach of current vaccines in some way).

I'm wondering how long the vaccines will last. I hear six months. But stuff like this isn't ever likely to be very consistent. Different people, with different vaccines and immune systems, and different lifestyles and diets and who knows what else might impact duration of effectiveness are going to see the vaccine wear off at different rates. And it's not like it'll go from 95% at 6 months, down to zero at 6 months and one day.

Anyway, guess we'll find out more in 3-6 months or so. 🙂

If you want to debate, bring it. I've laid out the risks/benefits for vaccines pretty clearly, as have many others, based on publicly available data from the trials and the real world since authorization. Show me any analysis which is not a slam dunk for vaccination, except for children, where the counterargument is low risk from COVID, but the vaccine argument is to prevent more cases and the potential for evolution of vaccine-eluding variants - I still think the argument for vaccinating children is strong, but clearly not as strong as for other groups. I'll wait.
Please do tell us why the experts think children should be vaccinated.

Thanks. Yep, I'm expecting people to catch and even occasionally get pretty sick from COVID after vaccination. Just not a lot of people (barring a variant popping up that somehow eludes the reach of current vaccines in some way).

I'm wondering how long the vaccines will last. I hear six months. But stuff like this isn't ever likely to be very consistent. Different people, with different vaccines and immune systems, and different lifestyles and diets and who knows what else might impact duration of effectiveness are going to see the vaccine wear off at different rates. And it's not like it'll go from 95% at 6 months, down to zero at 6 months and one day.

Anyway, guess we'll find out more in 3-6 months or so. 🙂
We are at 6 months for PFE and MRNA. Both companies have said that they are both still highly effective at the 6 month mark.

Thank You for your common sense and insight . This report of not eating inside a restaurant still even after being vaccinated is idiotic. If they want people to get vaccinated stand behind what is known so far. Granted nothing is 100% with vaccines and there is always a chance you can be infected. This was true even with flu vaccines.The only way we can prove if these work is by taking the vaccines. Also our leaders who have been vaccinated need to take those masks off when in safe public setting . And I agree that we are and will see steady declines continue in the next 2-3 months. Now we need to get those elevated booster shots through the trial process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT