ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Fergie National Anthem at NBA All Star Game

If the NFL had enabled such a... um... performance, the internet would have broken.

I was expecting much worse based on the media reports and the usual social media overreaction. It wasn't good though. The National Anthem isn't meant to be performed like it's a cabaret torch song. Don't any of these event organizers sit in on sound checks or rehearsals?

Thank God I would never willingly tune into the NBA all-star "game." I was out last night and 1 TV, out of about 20, were tuned-in and I couldn't believe what a complete piece of garbage the entire thing was to be honest.

Not a Yankees fan,but years ago they had an opera singer that used to sing our National Anthem. Hands down,he was the best I ever saw in person or on TV. It was like his voice became the flag.

That is horrific!

But, kudos to the players for keeping a straight face through all of that, those guys have nerves of steel.

I don' know what's worse her singing or knowing people actually watching the NBA All Star Game.
All-Star game for all sports, particularly now is difficult because the players make so much money it is difficult to make it competitive while not risking injury.

Last night's game was probably one of the better All-Star games in pro sports. The changes the NBA made to address the competition issue that was on full display at last year's disaster of a game were excellent. Adam Silver is by far the best Commissioner in sports, he gets it.

With that caterwauling she shoulda gone half-Monty and popped-her buds like Janet. Looking crazy on purpose better than by accident

Last night's game was probably one of the better All-Star games in pro sports. The changes the NBA made to address the competition issue that was on full display at last year's disaster of a game were excellent. Adam Silver is by far the best Commissioner in sports, he gets it.

What made it better than the usual playground scrimmage? What were the changes?

I saw from the video that even some of the NBA players had this look of like what???
I love the dude with the open mouth, he's trying everything he can do not to burst out laughing. That was just awful. It was worse than I expected. She has a wonderful voice, she embarrassed herself with that rendition.

Reactions: RU_Planning
What made it better than the usual playground scrimmage? What were the changes?
Last year's game was a disaster, but the game had lost its edge over the years, like many All-Star exhibitions have in all sports.

The following major changes were made:

Removed Conference Affiliation:
Increased likelihood that the best players made the game and also addressed competitive balance, given the West has had far more top to bottom talent for a long time.

Voting Changes
Starters 50% fan vote, 25% other players vote and 25% media vote for the starters. Coaches selected the reserves.

Top 2 Vote recipients become each team's Captain and they draft their rosters from the remaining All-Star selections, selecting from the voted in starters first. This year it was Steph Curry and LeBron James. The draft was not televised, but word has leaked out about when some guys were selected. It is possible that next year the draft will be on TV.

Each Captain selected a charity of their choice that would receive $350k if their team won the game. The losing team's charity would receive $100k.

The results were very positive. Much more defense than a typical All-Star exhibition, even some full court trapping and double teaming of the post. The commentators were saying there were way more foul calls than a typical All-Star game, but I don't have the actual #s to back that up.

Offensively there were more set plays than I'd ever seen in an All-Star game, including some flare screens for 3 point shots.

The final minutes were as intense as I think an All-Star game could be on both ends of the floor and coaching actually had to happen. I thought Mike D'Antoni (coaching Steph Curry's Team) made a mistake when he took out Joel Embiid who had just blocked Russell Westbrook at the rim in a 1 possession game. The next defensive sequence Westbrook drove to the paint, dished to Kyrie Irving on the baseline who then passed to a cutting Lebron in the lane for a layup, Embiid's presence in the lane would have made that play much more difficult. Lebron's layup was the game winning shot as Curry's team was unable to get a clean look at the end of the game because of the defensive pressure of Lebron and Durant.

The game was very good. The entertainment aspects outside of the game (pre-game / halftime) were not, but I think all pre-game and halftime entertainment is stupid.

I was expecting much worse based on the media reports and the usual social media overreaction. It wasn't good though. The National Anthem isn't meant to be performed like it's a cabaret torch song. Don't any of these event organizers sit in on sound checks or rehearsals?

What could you have possibly expected that could have been worse. And this is a fairly respected professional singer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT