ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Fergie National Anthem at NBA All Star Game

I love the college game with a passion but I cant tell you where any player goes after he leaves the college ranks and joins the NBA. I know Le Bron but thats it and Im not even sure who he plays for
Like you I love the college game , be it basketball or football ....Watching young men give it all on the football field or hardcourt combined with fan excitement and passion makes for an unbelievable game experience. I live in the Boston area so I don't get to as many games as I'd like but I was there for the Michigan State and Seton Hall games this year and left thinking how fortunate I was to be there. Amazing time and experience....

Reactions: bac2therac
I think the start of the "controversial" National Anthem presentations occurred before Game 5 of the 1968 World Series when Jose Feliciano performed. One thing his rendition and Marvin Gaye's have in common -- they both caught criticism after the presentation and both are now considered "classics" when it comes to sports presentation of the National Anthem.

Reactions: RuRoman and RUPete
Not a Yankees fan,but years ago they had an opera singer that used to sing our National Anthem. Hands down,he was the best I ever saw in person or on TV. It was like his voice became the flag.

Robert Merrill was king of the National Anthem at Yankee Stadium (Included is from 1976. By the 90's he was rushing through it a bit too much for my taste)

However....

Ronan Tynan doing God Bless America at The Stadium can bring tears

Then he made a stupid joke about the Jewish ladies looking at apartments in his building and the Yankees never asked him to come back. Probably to appease an old wheeze bag like Billy Crystal who makes the same jokes in his act.

I can't believe that someone told her that sounded good (assuming she ran it by someone who has any musical knowledge).

I had to do a cleanse and listen to Whitney's version.
Whitney's version is justafiably regarded as one of the best versions ever, prerecorded notwithstanding. But she set the stage for years of horrible renditions, at least in my opinion. The British drinking song Francis Scott Key "borrowed" for the melody was written in 3/4 time, which while not fast, was at least somewhat brisk. Whitney changed the meter to 4/4 time which slowed it down. She did fine with it, but it has led to other people singing countless, slow, dirge-like versions over the years. To me, a song about a battle should be a little uptempo, like it was sung before Whitney decided to slow it down by altering the time signature. But that's just me. Admittedly, it could be a mild manifestation of get off my lawn syndrome. :)

Reactions: RUDave_01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT