ADVERTISEMENT

OT: First baseball game cancelled due to Covid.

RuBird

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
Marlins game cancelled. Believe they are up to 10 players/coaches who tested positive. Have to think very tough to play any fall sports.

Welcome to three months ago...the insane amount of fear and desperation seeding laid the groundwork very nicely for said cancellation.

spring sports will also be canceled...

athletic departments everywhere will collapse and even the rich ones will take it up the pooper...

Reactions: RUBOB72
Welcome to three months ago...the insane amount of fear and desperation seeding laid the groundwork very nicely for said cancellation.

spring sports will also be canceled...

athletic departments everywhere will collapse and even the rich ones will take it up the pooper...

If a third of the roster is positive you still think they should play?

If a third of the roster is positive you still think they should play?
Imagine they actually make it to the playoffs, much like NHL/NBA and playoff games need to be cancelled. Shut it down now.

If baseball can't make it work, I don't see how football can. I think the NFL plays because of money and their collectively bargained agreement with the players, but the odds are against he NCAA.

Imagine they actually make it to the playoffs, much like NHL/NBA and playoff games need to be cancelled. Shut it down now.

I am not ready to shut it down yet. But I think it will get there . The thing is some people on this board think we should still play hs and youth sports . The MLB is having issues , but the thinking from some here is the brain trust at Carteret High School will figure it out and they should play! Talk about insanity !

If baseball can't make it work, I don't see how football can. I think the NFL plays because of money and their collectively bargained agreement with the players, but the odds are against he NCAA.

Been banging the drum for months that the ncaa won’t play ...I think NFL will really really try.

I am not ready to shut it down yet. But I think it will get there . The thing is some people on this board think we should still play hs and youth sports . The MLB is having issues , but the thinking from some here is the brain trust at Carteret High School will figure it out and they should play! Talk about insanity !
NHL & NBA have a shot since they’re operating within the bubble. A small shot, but something. I don’t know what MLB is thinking having teams travel from city to city.

And the pros are the only sports that will experiment with this, IMO. Ultimately, youth, HS, and college sports will not even start up in the fall.

These organizations are really f****** up their covid procedures. How is it that NASCAR has had its top 3 series operating since May 17th with only 1 confirmed case from someone who is actively traveling to events and these stick and ball teams have infestations on all of their teams?

To put it into perspective, each nascar series has 36-40 teams competing with at least 10 team personnel traveling to the track. Thats at least 400 per series and at least 1200 for race weekends where the 3 series are competing at the same track. Factor in an additional 500 in essential support staff, and you get the picture.

For a sport like baseball where the nature of the game itself is socially distanced just makes no sense to me.

Starting to realize I care less and less about sports....especially professional. Outta sight, outta mind. Maybe that’s someone’s agenda...who knows? The baseball this weekend was nice as a curiosity but by yesterday, it was already boring. The NBA doesn’t even interest me with all the politics anyway. I think players and owners are both going to be in for a rude awakening soon.

NHL & NBA have a shot since they’re operating within the bubble. A small shot, but something. I don’t know what MLB is thinking having teams travel from city to city.

And the pros are the only sports that will experiment with this, IMO. Ultimately, youth, HS, and college sports will not even start up in the fall.

NY Times did a podcast piece that was essentially a series of interviews with Manfred as the situation played out this spring / summer. The plan in its current form was developed when cases were falling, and folks were expecting better conditions through the summer.

If you think back to May / June, people thought there would be a summer reprieve followed by a fall second wave. As a result, MLB plans permitted travel expecting decent conditions, but scheduled the regular season to finish by end of August — to beat the fall second wave.

The players don't sit in a bubble and most of the aren't wearing masks or following protocol anyway. Then you have this stupidity.

Matt Breen
@matt_breen
The Marlins learned before Sunday’s game that three players had tested positive for COVID-19. So they held a player’s meeting to decide if they should play against the Phillies. Can’t find that protocol in MLB’s 101-page manual.

Reactions: Greg2020
The players don't sit in a bubble and most of the aren't wearing masks or following protocol anyway. Then you have this stupidity.

Matt Breen
@matt_breen
The Marlins learned before Sunday’s game that three players had tested positive for COVID-19. So they held a player’s meeting to decide if they should play against the Phillies. Can’t find that protocol in MLB’s 101-page manual.

There is a taxi squad of players for each team ready to step in and play. That works for missing a few players here and there, but may not work for a larger spread on a team.

Almost all baseball players aren’t wearing masks. And no one has ever said masks can reduce it to nothing lol.

Yes experts have said even Numbers close to little risks

Here is the deal..this threat is everywhere and masks dont stop it...it just delays it

Yes experts have said even Numbers close to little risks

Here is the deal..this threat is everywhere and masks dont stop it...it just delays it
Delaying it is the objective! Every day you or I do not get COVID-19, brings us one day closer to a possible vaccine.

This is a disease we do not want to get. Ask Freddie Freeman. If enough of us wear masks, maybe we won't have to.

I’m also in the camp that this is everywhere and masks can’t stop it. Fauci took his off after throwing the firat pitch so he agrees. However I am ok with wearing masks because it makes people feel better and it shows unity. This country needs unity.

Thank god for project warp speed as we may see a vaccine sooner rather than later. Hopefully this puts people’s minds at ease as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT