ADVERTISEMENT

OT: First baseball game cancelled due to Covid.

Summarizing an earlier post of mine: in the spring / early-summer when plans were coming together, analysts predicted a summer reprieve from the virus, followed by a fall spike.

With this in mind, and the players’ desire to be with families, MLB kept home cities and freedom to live at home vs isolation (thinking an ease in transmission this summer would permit more travel and leniency), but condensed the season to finish in August so playoffs wouldn’t stretch into fall.

Now we know they needed to prioritize isolation vs timing, because we didn’t get a summer reprieve.

Baseball got it wrong .

Baseball got it wrong .

I don’t have any inside knowledge, just got my info from reading, podcast interviews etc., but I wonder if the players would have caved on the “living at home” issue.

In hindsight, that seems like a direct path for the virus into a clubhouse. Sure, the players are probably taking precautions, but their kids, wives, friends, siblings are major variables.

As Tim Russert would say:"Florida,Florida,Florida."
Strangely,a team from a place which could not vote in that 2000 election is attempting to play in Tim's Buffalo.

Looks like the Yankees might head south and play Baltimore the next 2 days.

MLB has just announced that all Miami games are postponed through Sunday.

cut_off_florida.gif

Why would they cancel the two home games vs. the Phillies ?

Phillies games postponed until Friday "over an abundance of caution", presumably so they can get further into the incubation period and still produce negative tests.

Baseball got it wrong .
Not Baseball, The Florida Marlins. Just read an article over 6,400 test have been preformed thus far. The only positives, Florida Marlin players and staff. I was shocked when I read it, what a bunch of dickheads they have. Baseball should just move on without them.

Not Baseball, The Florida Marlins. Just read an article over 6,400 test have been done thus far the only positives Florida Marlin players and staff. I was shocked when I read it, what a bunch of dickheads they have. Baseball should just move on without them.

Chapman and players from other teams have tested positive

Maybe the tests are faulty, just a thought

Not Baseball, The Florida Marlins. Just read an article over 6,400 test have been preformed thus far. The only positives, Florida Marlin players and staff. I was shocked when I read it, what a bunch of dickheads they have. Baseball should just move on without them.

lol that’s not true . As proudnj just posted

Chapman and players from other teams have tested positive

Maybe the tests are faulty, just a thought
Sorry tried posting article, not working

mlb-shuts-marlins-down-for-a-week-in-bid-to-contain-virus-idUSKCN24T22W

This must have just happened as according to MLB, in over 6400 test conducted since last Friday there have been no new positive tests of on-field personnel from any of the other 29 clubs. This article was from Reuters July 28th at 10:48 am. So It's 17 Marlins and one Chapman haven't heard of the others.

Sorry tried posting article, not working

mlb-shuts-marlins-down-for-a-week-in-bid-to-contain-virus-idUSKCN24T22W

This must have just happened as according to MLB, in over 6400 test conducted since last Friday there have been no new positive tests of on-field personnel from any of the other 29 clubs. This article was from Reuters July 28th at 10:48 am. So It's 17 Marlins and one Chapman haven't heard of the others.
CNN

I’m wondering what’s the over/under number of days before mlb cancels the season?

Sure feels like it’s about to end soon.

If there’s a team sport that should work, it’s baseball. They keep their distance in the field and they need to sit together in the dugout. Have team meeting in the field instead of inside. I don’t watch any baseball games anyhow.

Reactions: Greg2020
Pete with the game tying hit in G7 of the '75 WS. Clutch, man. Reds were down 3-0 in this game but came storming back to win 4-3. Pete was the WS MVP

Last edited:
It was one dick head that shouldn't been on the trip. Infected the first players who then infected the rest. Everyone else was tested before leaving Miami but the one was not

Are you without sin ? The gambling was after his playing days.
When Rob Manfred became Commissioner in 2014, Rose personally petitioned him for reinstatement. Manfred did not grant it because he did not believe Rose had reformed.

If Rose really wants to be reinstated, he needs to look Manfred in the eye and say these words: "I no longer bet on baseball. I have not bet on baseball in X years, and I never will again." He hasn't said that, because he can't.

I don't agree with that, but that's what it will take, and I don't think it will ever happen.

Reactions: RUaMoose
When Rob Manfred became Commissioner in 2014, Rose personally petitioned him for reinstatement. Manfred did not grant it because he did not believe Rose had reformed.

If Rose really wants to be reinstated, he needs to look Manfred in the eye and say these words: "I no longer bet on baseball. I have not bet on baseball in X years, and I never will again." He hasn't said that, because he can't.

I don't agree with that, but that's what it will take, and I don't think it will ever happen.
Funny that @RUaMoose thinks this was only after his playing days. Was he also ok with Rose having sex with a 14 year old during his playing days too??

I don’t know if Sweden is right or wrong but they have suffered less deaths per million than their neighboring countries and certainly much less per million than NYC areas. NJ has suffered more than 3x deaths per million that Sweden suffered. Their curves look very good as well after the early surge.

WHAT? Where did you hear this? Let's evaluate the four countries that comprise Scandinavia, shall we?

Sweden has a population of 10.23 million and have had 5,702 deaths. That is one death for every 1,794 citizens.

Denmark has a population of 5.8 million and have had 613 deaths. That is one death for every 9,471 citizens.

Finland has a population of 5.5 million and have had 329 deaths. That is one death for every 16,772 citizens.

Norway has a population of 5.4 million and have had 255 deaths. That is one death for every 21,305 citizens.

Yeah, Sweden is really showing Scandinavia how it is done.

WHAT? Where did you hear this? Let's evaluate the four countries that comprise Scandinavia, shall we?

Sweden has a population of 10.23 million and have had 5,702 deaths. That is one death for every 1,794 citizens.

Denmark has a population of 5.8 million and have had 613 deaths. That is one death for every 9,471 citizens.

Finland has a population of 5.5 million and have had 329 deaths. That is one death for every 16,772 citizens.

Norway has a population of 5.4 million and have had 255 deaths. That is one death for every 21,305 citizens.

Yeah, Sweden is really showing Scandinavia how it is done.

Sounds like NJ and NY compared to the rest of the country.

Last edited:
Why? One team. One individual took his own team out foolishly. All other teams tested. Zero positives.
Zero positives? What timeframe are you referring to? I must be missing something because there are plenty of positives. Juan Soto, possibly the best young player in the enture sport, hasn't played yet because he had a positive test. That's just one example.

Reactions: Greg2020
Zero positives? What timeframe are you referring to? I must be missing something because there are plenty of positives. Juan Soto, possibly the best young player in the enture sport, hasn't played yet because he had a positive test. That's just one example.
Everyone MLB player was tested between Friday and Sunday. Every single player on the roster, all coaches and travelling personel. Zero positives. Philly had an attendant for the visitors locker room, a local guy who lives a few blocks from my store test positive. He was working when the Marlins were here. No interactions with any of the Phillies crew.

BTW the story of how the Marlins got the virus is starting to hit some media sources. MLB is not happy and has started an investigation.

Everyone MLB player was tested between Friday and Sunday. Every single player on the roster, all coaches and travelling personel. Zero positives. Philly had an attendant for the visitors locker room, a local guy who lives a few blocks from my store test positive. He was working when the Marlins were here. No interactions with any of the Phillies crew.
Aaahhhhh, I wasn't aware. I'm a Phillies fan, so I just assumed they all got tested because it was at their park. Didn't realize the rest of the league was being tested as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT