ADVERTISEMENT

OT: First baseball game cancelled due to Covid.

And the weekend series against Toronto is postponed.
How are they ever going to make up these games? There's no practical way to do it.
Baseball is certainly on the brink. However just like in the MLS you drop teams at some point if all others are healthy.

Reactions: tico brown
How are they ever going to make up these games? There's no practical way to do it.

It's really just like preseason for spectators at this point. No reason to make up games or pretend it's a legit season. Do your best to put out some consumable product, have a "championship" if you must, then go into off-season and pray for a better 2021 landscape.

I've been quite happy to have NYY games to watch. Was running dangerously low in my "things I want to watch on streaming that aren't in foreign languages" queue.

Correct,

From what I've read from Gelb and other Phillies beat writers, the Phillies and Marlins will either play an incomplete schedule and their standings will be done based on winning percentage or they will be dropped entirely.

Moving to the Midwest teams. Cards/Brewers postponed due to positive test.

Baseball should have done a "bubble" approach as that is looking more and more like the only way to go. I know the players were whining about the possibility of a bubble, but I can't help but think MLB cheaped out(it probably would have cost more to house and feed all teams for 60 games) being that some owners did not want to play at all.

Baseball should have done a "bubble" approach as that is looking more and more like the only way to go. I know the players were whining about the possibility of a bubble, but I can't help but think MLB cheaped out(it probably would have cost more to house and feed all teams for 60 games) being that some owners did not want to play at all.

And thoughtful consideration is your friend. Don't be afraid of it. Embrace it.

This is what I figured. Speculation. I'll wait to see if they successfully trace it, which isn't a certainty. Even this speculation points to a Miami team official, who, you know, works in Miami. I'm not an infectious disease expert, but I think that a Miami official on a plane in Atlanta doesn't end the tracing in Atlanta. Maybe, just maybe, they'd trace that Miami official back to where she/he came from and see what they find. Maybe.

Let's wait.
The waiting is over. Deaf, dumb and blind. Came from Atlanta. Players and organization not playing by the protocol. Manfred just warned the MLB Players Association that they better follow the rules or the season will be called

Last edited:
If this continues into next season the bubble approach will have to be done. Honestly, the season could be about 100+ games, be broken into 2 halves which will allow players to go home to their families after a few months away. Build in quarantine time and a week to get back into the playing groove. Who know is the owners would ever agree to that or if the players would be flexible enough for something like this.

I can't imagine having 2 partial seasons though. It would be a nightmare scenario for any sport.

If this continues into next season the bubble approach will have to be done. Honestly, the season could be about 100+ games, be broken into 2 halves which will allow players to go home to their families after a few months away. Build in quarantine time and a week to get back into the playing groove. Who know is the owners would ever agree to that or if the players would be flexible enough for something like this.

I can't imagine having 2 partial seasons though. It would be a nightmare scenario for any sport.
Baseball can't be done in a bubble. To many players less venus.

The waiting is over. Deaf, dumb and blind. Came from Atlanta. Players and organization not playing by the protocol. Manfred just warned the MLB Players Association that they better follow the rules or the season will be called
Oh, you again. Ugh. I expect this to take a while. But, in an effort to cut to the chase, when you decide to give actual specifics (beyond Yahoo Sports guy and your Super secret agent source), please be sure to pay extra special attention to showing how the person with Covid didn’t bring it with him from Miami and then spread what he already had by improperly mingling in a hotel while on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg2020
Oh, you again. Ugh. I expect this to take a while. But, in an effort to cut to the chase, when you decide to give actual specifics (beyond Yahoo Sports guy and your Super secret agent source), please be sure to pay extra special attention to showing how the person with Covid didn’t bring it with him from Miami and then spread what he already had by improperly mingling in a hotel while on the road.
MLB investigation good enough for you? This has been out there since my first post. You are just too lazy to find out. Either that you just like to argue.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...rus-protocols-on-atlanta-trip-per-report/amp/

You mean that thing that says it was written four hours ago?

Anyway, take a look at my last post, which you almost immediately showed yourself incapable of addressing. Then more closely and thoughtfully read your newest source, put actual thought into what you’re trying to say and what I actually said, and then explain yourself better. Otherwise, this gets real tedious real fast.

You mean that thing that says it was written four hours ago?

Anyway, take a look at my last post, which you almost immediately showed yourself incapable of addressing. Then more closely and thoughtfully read your newest source, put actual thought into what you’re trying to say and what I ac vtually said, and then explain yourself better. Otherwise, this gets real tedious real fast.
No not the article. The information. So you don't believe any of it? Do some work yourself and go see how many different places have been saying this. Pick a source you deem worthy. Because if USA Today and CBS aren't good enough for you I don't know who is you preferred source for news. I'm guessing the National Inquirer.

Saying what? You’re like an Alzheimer’s sufferer who repeatedly forgets what we’re talking about, makes up a weird internal story to rail against, and shouts angry things about people being stupid every other sentence.

It’s all there for you if you’d just slow down and be thoughtful. Here’s an idea. Read (to yourself, not out loud) what I wrote two posts ago and consider it. Resist the urge to yell out loud and consider it. Really think. Then maybe you’ll get it.

Of course, maybe not. And if not, well, feel free to return to your wild ride of trains, buses, hotel bars, Yahoo Sports guys and double secret sources. At least it’s entertaining.

Saying what? You’re like an Alzheimer’s sufferer who repeatedly forgets what we’re talking about, makes up a weird internal story to rail against, and shouts angry things about people being stupid every other sentence.

It’s all there for you if you’d just slow down and be thoughtful. Here’s an idea. Read (to yourself, not out loud) what I wrote two posts ago and consider it. Resist the urge to yell out loud and consider it. Really think. Then maybe you’ll get it.

Of course, maybe not. And if not, well, feel free to return to your wild ride of trains, buses, hotel bars, Yahoo Sports guys and double secret sources. At least it’s entertaining.
First never imply that anyone is like an Alzheimer's sufferer. You may think is cute and funny but my dad actually suffered from it and it killed him. My family had to watch the daily decline everyday until he was just a man stuck in a bed. So on that note I'm done with you. You aren't worthy enough to have a discussion with. Just a scumbag that needs be ignored.

So it’s option A, another angry shout, this one loaded with righteous indignation. Your process is weird. You start things by quoting my post while I’m minding my own business to tell me I’m wrong for insupportable reasons, do the precise same thing days later after it had all died down, then run away wounded and indignant that someone wasn’t putting up with your dramatic nonsense. You’ve always had an open invitation to stop all that. And if you restart it again, you’ll get the same.

Yayyyyyy! Two guys fighting to derail a hood thread! Everyone loves to read these squabbles.

By the way, the Cardinals now have more than 5 positives and the Phillies are clean. This is craziness.

These organizations are really f****** up their covid procedures. How is it that NASCAR has had its top 3 series operating since May 17th with only 1 confirmed case from someone who is actively traveling to events and these stick and ball teams have infestations on all of their teams?

To put it into perspective, each nascar series has 36-40 teams competing with at least 10 team personnel traveling to the track. Thats at least 400 per series and at least 1200 for race weekends where the 3 series are competing at the same track. Factor in an additional 500 in essential support staff, and you get the picture.

For a sport like baseball where the nature of the game itself is socially distanced just makes no sense to me.
And you have European soccer leagues finishing up their seasons with not many issues by using the same model that MLB is clusterf***ing over.

Baseball can't be done in a bubble. To many players less venus.
I disagree. You just need flexibility and creativity from both the owners and players.

Example: 5 playing sites, 6 teams at each site

Each team plays each other 4 times as home and 4 times as away. 40 games for each team.

Games are played every 4-4.5 hours. Say 12, 4:30 and 9.

It would take about 7 weeks to complete this pod. Take a 2 week break for players to see their families, then resume with 6 different teams. Then, you have half a season and can do an expanded playoffs.

And no, I hope this would never happen because I want it back to normal. However, both sides are both so pig-headed this would never happen.

I disagree. You just need flexibility and creativity from both the owners and players.

Each team plays each other 4 times as home and 4 times as away. 40 games for each team.

It would take about 7 weeks to complete this pod. Take a 2 week break for players to see their families, then resume with 6 different teams. Then, you have half a season and can do an expanded playoffs.

And no, I hope this would never happen because I want it back to normal. However, both sides are both so pig-headed this would never happen.
You would need at least 5 or 6 sites with two MLB Stadiums. So NY, LA, Chicago SF/Oak?? Than? Agree that if we are in the same spot next year no baseball.

Cardinals report at least 4 more players this morning.

6 teams are going to share the same two clubhouses?

You would need at least 5 or 6 sites with two MLB Stadiums. So NY, LA, Chicago SF/Oak?? Than? Agree that if we are in the same spot next year no baseball.

Cardinals report at least 4 more players this morning.

Why do you need MLB stadiums if no fans? Those spring training complexes in AZ are just as good and I believe that some of those stadiums have multiple clubhouses.

Why do you need MLB stadiums if no fans? Those spring training complexes in AZ are just as good and I believe that some of those stadiums have multiple clubhouses.
You are not playing in AZ or Florida outdoors in the summer for 162 games.

If the situation is that bad you have another abbreviated season and play 90% night games.
The AZ FL thing was discussed for this season. Early before we knew this would last month's not weeks. The owners and players wanted none of it.

reading about all these postponements.. how often do they test and how quickly do they get results?

That is.. have they played games where some of the players had CoVid and did not know it?

Is it safe enough to play with a player who has CoVid? hmmm.. I suppose the ball is a possible problem. Pitcher wets his fingers (in cold weather blows on his hand) .. pitches.. next thing the catcher or UMP have touched that same ball.. or it gets hit and some fielder touchers it.. the first base coach picks up a little dribbler and later touches his face sending signals. Batters may spit into their hands for grip (or do they all use gloves now?) .... bat boys pick up the bat. Its a mess.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT