ADVERTISEMENT

OT: First baseball game cancelled due to Covid.

reading about all these postponements.. how often do they test and how quickly do they get results?

That is.. have they played games where some of the players had CoVid and did not know it?

Is it safe enough to play with a player who has CoVid? hmmm.. I suppose the ball is a possible problem. Pitcher wets his fingers (in cold weather blows on his hand) .. pitches.. next thing the catcher or UMP have touched that same ball.. or it gets hit and some fielder touchers it.. the first base coach picks up a little dribbler and later touches his face sending signals. Batters may spit into their hands for grip (or do they all use gloves now?) .... bat boys pick up the bat. Its a mess.

MLB tried to address some of these, such as allowing pitchers to carry a wet rag instead of licking their fingers.

https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/mlb-announces-new-features-for-2020-season.html

reading about all these postponements.. how often do they test and how quickly do they get results?

That is.. have they played games where some of the players had CoVid and did not know it?

Is it safe enough to play with a player who has CoVid? hmmm.. I suppose the ball is a possible problem. Pitcher wets his fingers (in cold weather blows on his hand) .. pitches.. next thing the catcher or UMP have touched that same ball.. or it gets hit and some fielder touchers it.. the first base coach picks up a little dribbler and later touches his face sending signals. Batters may spit into their hands for grip (or do they all use gloves now?) .... bat boys pick up the bat. Its a mess.
So the Phillies have been tested everyday since Sunday. The get results the next morning. But each test gets a second look and takes a few days. Hence the false positives. Second longer test and subsequent test have been negative.

So the Phillies have been tested everyday since Sunday. The get results the next morning. But each test gets a second look and takes a few days. Hence the false positives. Second longer test and subsequent test have been negative.

I guess I just done know about the abundance of caution in canceling games until they are quite sure its a problem. Then again.. would you really want to be responsible for the first team-wide breakout based on NOT canceling a game? I don't know if that would happen.. without a team-wide orgy... but it is right to take a chance?

I guess I just done know about the abundance of caution in canceling games until they are quite sure its a problem. Then again.. would you really want to be responsible for the first team-wide breakout based on NOT canceling a game? I don't know if that would happen.. without a team-wide orgy... but it is right to take a chance?
I agree with the reported positives you had to bench them. But now 20/20 hindsight they could have been playing all along. Frustrating for me. Can't imagine how the team feels right now. It could happen again and they should do the same.

I agree with the reported positives you had to bench them. But now 20/20 hindsight they could have been playing all along. Frustrating for me. Can't imagine how the team feels right now. It could happen again and they should do the same.
In the pinned CoVCid thread I cited some CDC stats about tests and positive cases.. and based on the roughly 10% positives.. chances are there could be 30M people out there with CoVid that don't know they have it.. never been tested. If that's the case, we have likely all been in contact with CoVid carriers or people who have been in contact with CoVid carriers in some way. I am just not sure it is the threat that it is made out to be. They have found 5M positives.. for the vast majority it is not a big deal. They don't shut down baseball or school for the regular flu, right?

In 2014 the NHL had a mumps outbreak.. players and officials had to stay home.. but the games weren't canceled.

In the pinned CoVCid thread I cited some CDC stats about tests and positive cases.. and based on the roughly 10% positives.. chances are there could be 30M people out there with CoVid that don't know they have it.. never been tested. If that's the case, we have likely all been in contact with CoVid carriers or people who have been in contact with CoVid carriers in some way. I am just not sure it is the threat that it is made out to be. They have found 5M positives.. for the vast majority it is not a big deal. They don't shut down baseball or school for the regular flu, right?

In 2014 the NHL had a mumps outbreak.. players and officials had to stay home.. but the games weren't canceled.
They don't shut down grocery stores no matter how many test positive. Essential. A word as an essential worker I have come to hate. Smaller places are only allowed for curb side pick up. Why not grocery stores?
As far as baseball I've gone back and forth if they can finish the season. Earlier this week I thought no way. Now that the Phillies have zero players and coaches positive I think is now back to 50/50. I also hope the Marlins get dropped. Foolish activity almost shut down this game. I don't know if the MLB can fine them for being stupid but those involved in that night out in Atlanta should be and face suspension.
Anyway I am enjoying the Yankee game tonight.

They don't shut down grocery stores no matter how many test positive. Essential. A word as an essential worker I have come to hate. Smaller places are only allowed for curb side pick up. Why not grocery stores?
As far as baseball I've gone back and forth if they can finish the season. Earlier this week I thought no way. Now that the Phillies have zero players and coaches positive I think is now back to 50/50. I also hope the Marlins get dropped. Foolish activity almost shut down this game. I don't know if the MLB can fine them for being stupid but those involved in that night out in Atlanta should be and face suspension.
Anyway I am enjoying the Yankee game tonight.
Wrong multiple grocery stores have been closed for 2-3 days for cleaning when a few workers have tested positive at once.

Wrong multiple grocery stores have been closed for 2-3 days for cleaning when a few workers have tested positive at once.
Of how many? Maybe 1%. Wakefern has 1. More were closed by looting. What is your point? My store hasn't. A lot of people working long hours unnecessary. No reason we had to accept thousands through the store if local government really cared. They don't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT