ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Flowers

RocktheRac

Heisman Winner
Sep 10, 2001
Since this is a safe subject. What is your favorite summer annual? I'm torn between petunias and the old fashioned geraniums. They have developed a nice fuchsia color for geraniums and have speckled purple and white and pink and white flowers for petunias but after the initial bloom they the colors go back to the original solid. I've talked with some growers and they say its something in the cross pollination. Please don't bring politics into this thread. Thank you.

Last edited:
red-and-blue-roses-on-white-background-stock-photo_csp34113825.jpg

Can’t decide, I am pretty much down the middle on these
on a serious note garden phlox are great.

Impatiens are by far my favorite. Learned about them at 17 years old working at Spring Meadow Golf Course. The new Superintendent and I started on the same day. He was originally from Kentucky but had that deep South twang. Horticulture guru. Tore out the Ivy that was planted under the two massive trees in front of the restaurant and waited until Mother's Day to plant them. They thrive in shade and can grow unbelievably large with minimal care. Many colors to chose from including Scarlet red. Although I still follow what he did and get all the colors available.
At they are protected by any early frost but by early October and it's a good time to replace them with mums.

Last edited:
Disappointed? Why should I be disappointed? I got rose bushes didn't I? I got a used car, didn't I? This other guy, what'd you call him?

The beneficiary.

Yeah him, he got $3,000,000 but he didn't get the rose bushes. I got the rose bushes. I definitely got the rose bushes. Those are rose bushes!

Reactions: mikershoein
Impatiens are by far my favorite.
Mine too. I used to have several huge barrels and fill them with a riot of colors. Unfortunately I can't do that where we live now as the deer and groundhog find them delicious.

Reactions: WhiteBus
My gardens contain pansies, petunias, vincas, begonias, dahlias, Gaillardias, & Dianthus. Also just planted a Rose of Sharon, Cyprus Bush, Climbing Hydrangea and Japanese
Dwarf Red Maple to go along with the 2 different Hydrangea bushes, Echinacea plant, Daylilies and rhododendron that I had before. In the corner of my yard I planted a Rose Tree last June that produced spectacular blooms 2 weeks ago and is ready to bloom again.

Reactions: RUJohnny
Since this is a safe subject. What is your favorite summer annual? I'm torn between petunias and the old fashioned geraniums. They have developed a nice fuchsia color for geraniums and have speckled purple and white and pink and white flowers for petunias but after the initial bloom they the colors go back to the original solid. I've talked with some growers and they say its something in the cross pollination. Please don't bring politics into this thread. Thank you.

Not answering until your dog asks the question

My gardens contain pansies, petunias, vincas, begonias, dahlias, Gaillardias, & Dianthus. Also just planted a Rose of Sharon, Cyprus Bush, Climbing Hydrangea and Japanese
Dwarf Red Maple to go along with the 2 different Hydrangea bushes, Echinacea plant, Daylilies and rhododendron that I had before. In the corner of my yard I planted a Rose Tree last June that produced spectacular blooms 2 weeks ago and is ready to bloom again.
rockstar. I just scooped up 4 trays of flowers id never heard of for my winery reopening tomorrow. will be planting still just as we open probably lol.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Cleome.jpg
Cleome.

Google it. Looks like weed growing but has amazing hanging spiked seed pods, lots of colorful flowers, grows all summer in dry conditions, and few folks even know about them.

Leaves..
cleome-leaves.jpg

Last edited:
I need to get some more deer resistant perennials - any suggestions?

Cleome.

Google it. Looks like weed growing but has amazing hanging spiked seed pods, lots of colorful flowers, grows all summer in dry conditions, and few folks even know about them.

This is another one that self propagates like crazy. Those damn seeds keep spouting all over. Watch when they get real heavy and stalky. They have thorns along the stem.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
I need to get some more deer resistant perennials - any suggestions?

The deer so far have stayed away from my black eyed susans and coneflower/echinacea. I’ve had morning glories in the same spot for over twenty years, and the last three summers, during the full moon in July, the deer have eaten them clean, except for the blooms.

Zinnia's, (pretty deer resistant), fuchsia (moody), Geraniums, Begonia's, and Pansies.

Last edited:
Daffodils, iris, lillies
Don't know about the lilies being deer resistant. The deer that roam my neighborhood took great care in annihilating my lilies the last 2 years and took off all the buds on one of the bunches a few days ago... right as they were about to bloom too.

Reactions: RUJohnny
Impatiens are by far my favorite. Learned about them at 17 years old working at Spring Meadow Golf Course. The new Superintendent and I started on the same day. He was originally from Kentucky but had that deep South twang. Horticulture guru. Tore out the Ivy that was planted under the two massive trees in front of the restaurant and waited until Mother's Day to plant them. They thrive in shade and can grow unbelievably large with minimal care. Many colors to chose from including Scarlet red. Although I still follow what he did and get all the colors available.
At they are protected by any early frost but by early October and it's a good time to replace them with mums.
Animals always eat my impatiens, unfortunately.

Don't know about the lilies being deer resistant. The deer that roam my neighborhood took great care in annihilating my lilies the last 2 years and took off all the buds on one of the bunches a few days ago... right as they were about to bloom too.
Thanks for the info. Maybe they're deer edible. I don't think they're deer preferred. They wipe out my tulips, hostas, and others.

Lobelias, they are one of the few blue flowers and are a nice deep blue color with tons of small flowers. You can get an 8 pack at home depot now for $4. Plant them close in planters for a nice contrast to yellow and orange flowers, like marigolds (other colors as well). Alternatively fill a pot with them for a large blue showing.
potted-lobelia.jpg

This is a Rutgers board, surprised no one suggested Scarlet Begonias

Reactions: Jm0513
ADVERTISEMENT