ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Found in Little Rock!

Southern Gentleman

All American
Aug 10, 2011
For those of you in Northern NJ, I found Taylor Ham in a grocery store!

For those of you in middle/ Southern NJ, I found Pork Roll in a grocery store!

For all of you, I bought it!

I will enjoy my breakfast tomorrow for sure! Love y’all!

My Hogs are 5-5 and look like hell. But the game Saturday night versus Ole Miss is under the lights and under 32 degrees!

My Hogs are 5-5 and look like hell. But the game Saturday night versus Ole Miss is under the lights and under 32 degrees!
And for those in Central NJ?....well, that doesn't exist, so no pork roll for those in that mythical area.

Because scrapple has more flavor. Bacon has more flavor. PR is just thicker, milder kielbasa. Analogy: provolone is very bland compared to cheddar. On an Italian sub with flavorful meats, onions, etc one can’t even taste provolone.

And ooh yes I do enjoy chitlins, especially on a sandwich with pork, beans and onions for the crunch !

CORRECTION
Oops. Big fail by me. I meant cracklins. I’ve never had chitlins

Last edited:
Reactions: Southern Gentleman
Yes, it is. Not sure why anyone likes it , I guess it is an acquired taste, much like Chitlin”s are an acquired taste.

BTW, I have had both!
When I was stationed at Little Rock AFB in the early 70's, my wife and I often bought wine at a local liquor store. The owners were from Pennsylvania. When we went back to Jersey on leave, they asked us to bring back scrapple and Tastykakes for them.
My favorite Mexican restaurant, Casa Bonita, was in Little Rock. They had a little flag on each table that you raised if you wanted seconds of anything. Someone would come to the table to see what you wanted. The sopapillas with honey were great!! Also liked the Old West Dinner Theater. Ate dinner at Hank's Dog House shortly after getting married in the base chapel at 6:30 pm. Unfortunately, I had to get up at 4:30 the next morning to head to the base and then to the missile site for a 24-hour alert. Heckuva honeymoon.

When I was stationed at Little Rock AFB in the early 70's, my wife and I often bought wine at a local liquor store. The owners were from Pennsylvania. When we went back to Jersey on leave, they asked us to bring back scrapple and Tastykakes for them.
My favorite Mexican restaurant, Casa Bonita, was in Little Rock. They had a little flag on each table that you raised if you wanted seconds of anything. Someone would come to the table to see what you wanted. The sopapillas with honey were great!! Also liked the Old West Dinner Theater. Ate dinner at Hank's Dog House shortly after getting married in the base chapel at 6:30 pm. Unfortunately, I had to get up at 4:30 the next morning to head to the base and then to the missile site for a 24-hour alert. Heckuva honeymoon.
I have eaten at all of the restaurants that you mentioned! Casa Bonita has gone out of business years ago, The Old West is now Murray’s Dinner Theater and Hanks is now a homeless shelter/ church IIRC.

What? You found a ham-like substance under a little rock?

Well put it back! Some squirrel could be depending on it for sustenance through the long winter months.

I’m still confused- I’m from NY so not sure if NJ calls it pork roll or Taylor Ham.
I always see Taylor ham on the egg sandwich menu here in NNJ so I assume that is what I should call it.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I’m still confused- I’m from NY so not sure if NJ calls it pork roll or Taylor Ham.
I always see Taylor ham on the egg sandwich menu here in NNJ so I assume that is what I should call it.
I think we should just unify the state and call it Jersey Meat.
"Hey, anyone want some of my Jersey Meat on a roll?" er..perhaps not.

• Haha
Reactions: MADHAT1 and NBHPRU
I think we should just unify the state and call it Jersey Meat.
"Hey, anyone want some of my Jersey Meat on a roll?" er..perhaps not.
Makes sense to me. I'll even offer a sale on it since my Jersey meat is edging close to it's expiration date each year now.

You could mess with the waiter and refer to it as Taylor Roll or Pork Ham. And when they look at you funny, just say you're not from either North or South Jersey and aren't well versed in the lingo.

Even Arkansas people don’t think Central Jersey exists 😡.

Also found a breakfast spot here in Denver that had a “pork roll egg and cheese” sandwich on their menu.

Obviously I ordered it last weekend.

The pork roll was essentially salami or something. I almost threw a fit. FALSE ADVERTISING!

• Haha
Reactions: Bagarocks
CORRECTION
Oops. Big fail by me. I meant cracklins. I’ve never had chitlins
We make cracklins when we render fat from our pigs into lard. My mother-in-law loves them, I think they completely suck. The lard is great for cooking and we also make it into soap.

For a Hogs fan it's of course gotta be pork roll, just to keep things consistent. Let's go Hogs, and WPS!!

ADVERTISEMENT