ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Francessa returning to WFAN

Sounds to me like it's a one way thing. Mike wants back in but no indication WFAN feels the same.

If Mike is a smart man, he waits for another ratings book to come out where CMB keeps losing listeners, and then he can White Knight his way in, name his price, and save the station.

Then again the amount of listeners they already lost is ridiculous, Francesa was holding at a 6.2 share, and CMB is at I think 4.2

It would be short-sighted oh WFAN to rehire him for anything substantive, more of a short-term ratings fix than anything. Francesa is a classic example of someone who draws ratings strictly because of listeners' habits. He stopped paying attention to details years ago, knows very very little about the teams in his markets and the external influences on them, has no regard for listeners (Who doesn't love listening to him watch TV?), is habitually (almost pathologically) wrong on his predictions of all sorts, and yet is incredibly condescending.

I would think a station like WFAN could easily target and develop some actual new talent rather than trying to wring two more years out of this bloated clown.

If Mike is a smart man, he waits for another ratings book to come out where CMB keeps losing listeners, and then he can White Knight his way in, name his price, and save the station.

Then again the amount of listeners they already lost is ridiculous, Francesa was holding at a 6.2 share, and CMB is at I think 4.2

Will WFAN want to pay the 3 not to be on the air for another year and a half plus whatever crazy salary Mike would demand?

So many jumping the gun here.

IF he does return it doesn't sound like an everyday job. He is pitching a "project" not looking for a full time job. Sounds like he is looking for a landing spot for his Sunday morning NFL show. That show because of its structure was actually very good.

the way his message was worded, it specifically seems like he’s deciding to come at Boomer (who has a Sunday morning football radio preview show). Perhaps he will offer his services for a lowball rate, just to spite boomer. But boomer has a cbs contract no matter what.

Having this idiot back is a total joke....boorish...ignorant to a fault...biased in his opinions ... like some Supreme Court Justices and overstayed politicians please leave already.
Blame the FAN. They had a chance to move on, but screwed the pooch with putting together such an awful replacement show.

Bring him back! Francesa is great to listen too.

Just like Howard Eskin and Angelo Cataldi in Philly. You cannot replace these personalities. Love hearing them cut people off, stating their clear opinions, and basically know it all opinion because they have the sources and do know it all!

Per Daily News (not confirmed but citing sources)..

He will be back at 3-7 times slot.

The 10-3 slot, which has been Joe and Evans since Francesa left, will be split between Joe and Evans show and Carlin’s show.

Wow

The 10-3 slot, which has been Joe and Evans since Francesa left, will be split between Joe and Evans show and Carlin’s show.

Wow
Just dump the new afternoon show. And how about teaming up Francesa with Carlin? It also sounds like Francesa may team up with Mad Dog for weekly shows on the NFL and MLB Networks.....that would be awesome.

Just like Howard Eskin and Angelo Cataldi in Philly. You cannot replace these personalities. Love hearing them cut people off, stating their clear opinions, and basically know it all opinion because they have the sources and do know it all!

I mean, we live in a society that rewards the loudest voices, whether they know it all or not.....whether we like that or not. That’s part of what’s sad about Trump rising to power - and I say that as an objective statement based on how we raise our children, not as a politically-based judgment.

• Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan

Only thing Cataldi is good for is promoting the Wing Bowl.

Reactions: Terry_2426

Wow
I guess WFAN desperately needed that Yankee fan on air on a station full of Mets fans.

Would you want to work for a company that does this to it's employees? Not me.

All about me Francessa is screwing 2 shows if this is true, including long time collegues in Joe and Evan.

Meanwhile WFAN is jumping the gun on a new show because the 3 month book came out and they lost to am esbalished Michael Kay show by a hair in the ratings despite still trying to find an identity.

Stay retired Mike. You sucked anyway the last 7 years, and not being able to find another spot proves that.

Sounds Like Francessa may be returning to his 3-7 slot with Joe and Evan and CMB splitting midday.

If this is true, then I would have a BIG Issue with it if I worked for WFAN.

Mike publicly pokes fun of the Station, then because he can't get any takers for a new show featuring him, comes crawling back to WFAN.

By doing so, He completely Screws two Long time Colleagues in Joe and Evan who now have to Split time with the New Show with Carlin, Maggie and Bart (Bart is the Problem with that show).

More like the fan begging for Mike to cone back because of terrible ratings.

The fan needs mike. They are failing right now.

But spin it any way you want. Your anti mine agenda is pretty clear.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Sounds Like Francessa may be returning to his 3-7 slot with Joe and Evan and CMB splitting midday.

If this is true, then I would have a BIG Issue with it if I worked for WFAN.

Mike publicly pokes fun of the Station, then because he can't get any takers for a new show featuring him, comes crawling back to WFAN.

By doing so, He completely Screws two Long time Colleagues in Joe and Evan who now have to Split time with the New Show with Carlin, Maggie and Bart (Bart is the Problem with that show).

More like the fan begging for Mike to cone back because of terrible ratings.

The fan needs mike. They are failing right now.

But spin it any way you want. Your anti mine agenda is pretty clear.

Far from terrible ratings in the 3 month book. Only lost to Kay by a hair and the show is still trying to find it's identity. Takss longer than 3 months to do that on radio.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Would you want to work for a company that does this to it's employees? Not me.

I don’t disagree with you on that notion, but the sad truth is that media consolidation is such that if you do radio and expect to make a living, there are less than a handful of possibilities to work at. We can pretend it’s a free market, but we all know that you can’t just build a competitor radio station with a decent signal unless you are a huge corporation. You can podcast, but that’s not going to make you a living unless you have a built-in mass audience.

The FAN had 2 years to find a suitable replacement, but somehow managed to bungle it so badly with such a horribly, boring and terrible show that they had no other choice here really.

The Sports Pope humbling that Dracula lookalike Beningo into a lesser role on air is a glorious side product of this too.

Reactions: RUaMoose and Zak57
Jeez so why did he retire in the first place?

I know Kim Jones is smiling today. She turned down the FAN for that spot.

The FAN had 2 years to find a suitable replacement, but somehow managed to bungle it so badly with such a horribly, boring and terrible show that they had no other choice here really.

The Sports Pope humbling that Dracula lookalike Beningo into a lesser role on air is a glorious side product of this too.

If I was Joe and Evan, CMB, and also Boomer and Gio who also hate Mike and have pretty much said so on Air. I would be boycotting the hell out of this move.

I'm sorry, but despite it flaws, the station is better off without a guy telling people from 3-7 that their opinion is wrong. He is a shell of what he once was, and other Media companies saw that, which is why his grandiose plans of going to another medium backfired. Make no mistake, he will spin this as WFAN needing him, but the truth is he needs WFAN more.

o_O

Reactions: rurichdog
Far from terrible ratings in the 3 month book. Only lost to Kay by a hair and the show is still trying to find it's identity. Takss longer than 3 months to do that on radio.
The show is trying to find an identity because it sucks. Bart is awful and Maggie (while knowledgeable) is boring. The show isn't fixable. Time to start over.

Make no mistake, he will spin this as WFAN needing him, but the truth is he needs WFAN more.
Not true. The FAN is begging him to come back.....begging. And they begged him to stay in the first place.

The show is trying to find an identity because it sucks. Bart is awful and Maggie (while knowledgeable) is boring. The show isn't fixable. Time to start over.

After 3 months you figured that out?
To comparing g them to him, but Stern sucked for years, but got a chance to build an Audience.

Hell even David Lee Roth got more than 3 months and that was the worst thing in the history of radio.

You fix that show by taking Bart off of it and just making it Carlin and Maggie.

Make no mistake, he will spin this as WFAN needing him, but the truth is he needs WFAN more.
Not true. The FAN is begging him to come back.....begging. And they begged him to stay in the first place.

Prove to me how much they are begging him to come back. He himself said they were people at WFAN who are trying to stop him from coming back. My speculation is some of that is on air Talent that are not Carlin Maggie and Bart.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
The show doesn't suck, they are still weeding out the Francesa fartsniffers who call in and dump on the show. The only person who could replace Francesa - in those listeners' minds - is Francesa himself. CMB needed time to build their own show and their own audience. The Francesa fans were never going to come around to CMB; they just had nowhere to follow their Pope because he never reappeared anywhere else.

mike-francesa-falls-asleep.gif

Reactions: HeyHuey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT