ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Francessa returning to WFAN

Rumors are that it may be:
Joe & Evan: 10-1
CMB: 1-3
Francesa: 3-6:30

In the end, maybe this is a good transition for CMB and allows them to grow with less pressure. Francesa won't do this forever, so perhaps CMB (or another version of that show hopefully with Carlin) can grow and then more properly replace Mike when he actually does retire.

In the end, maybe this is a good transition for CMB and allows them to grow with less pressure. Francesa won't do this forever, so perhaps CMB (or another version of that show hopefully with Carlin) can grow and then more properly replace Mike when he actually does retire.

This is is the smartest thing said so far on this thread. That being said I still think Bart is the issue on that show. He is a square peg in a round hole.

Good post. They couldn't get experienced talent to replace Francesa, so they should have moved Evan and Joe to the afternoon. Or move Evan and partner him with someone else.

This is is the smartest thing said so far on this thread. That being said I still think Bart is the issue on that show. He is a square peg in a round hole.
I think Bart Scott is good with NFL tidbits/info, but he struggles with baseball which is an issue. Maybe he could be on during football season only. Honestly, I thought Kim Jones would have been a good fit with Carlin. They had done shows together in the past and did well, plus Kim has some credibility having covered the Yankees and local NY football teams. Maggie is knowledgeable and OK but doesn't have the local vibe.

Either way, I think CMB or whatever it becomes can work out the kinks and maybe develop into a decent show in a less pressure situation. Carlin is fine. It's just putting the right pieces around him.

Bart does a good job w/ football and i actually like him a lot more than I thought. Maggie also does well, I find Carlin as the one who is out of place. Good play-by-play person but, like Michael Kay, not much to say otherwise. We'll see how Franscessa does but it will be more interesting seeing if WFAN implodes because the media reports that people there all seem to hate Francessa. No doubt he comes back as a cocky pain in the neck. Will be fun to see how it goes, but other than that, i haven't really missed hearing Mike Francessa for however long he hasn't been there.

Never listened to his show before, haven’t listened since he left, won’t listen when he’s back. Feel bad for Carlin thiugh

Reactions: shields and Dpgru
Whether you think he did a good job or not, gotta feel bad for Carlin.

He left his afternoon slot in Philly and took a shot in NYC and wasn't even given the chance to prove himself.

Mike Francessa is an ass.
Doesn't have the pipes.

I think Bart Scott is good with NFL tidbits/info, but he struggles with baseball which is an issue. Maybe he could be on during football season only. Honestly, I thought Kim Jones would have been a good fit with Carlin. They had done shows together in the past and did well, plus Kim has some credibility having covered the Yankees and local NY football teams. Maggie is knowledgeable and OK but doesn't have the local vibe.

Either way, I think CMB or whatever it becomes can work out the kinks and maybe develop into a decent show in a less pressure situation. Carlin is fine. It's just putting the right pieces around him.
Carlin and Kim Jones may work. Dump Scott and Maggie and give it a try.

Carlin and Kim Jones may work. Dump Scott and Maggie and give it a try.
Jones didn't want the job.
And Joe & Evan didn't want to split up or move to afternoons.
This isn't trading horses. If someone doesn't want the job they don't take it. If someone doesn't want to move, they don't get moved. Except now Francesa is elbowing his way in, which is going to piss a lot of people off.

what just happen?

doZacKW.gif

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Well on Doggy's show he said when Mike was on with him doing the Over/Unders for MLB and Doggy said "What will happen first? Mike goes back to WFAN or we have a Rays/Marlins World Series?" Apparently Carlin texted both Mike and Dog to "s*** his d***!"

Would be hilarious if somehow WFAN uses that to fire Carlin with cause, not have to pay him a penny, and then we get a show of Bart and Maggie.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Well on Doggy's show he said when Mike was on with him doing the Over/Unders for MLB and Doggy said "What will happen first? Mike goes back to WFAN or we have a Rays/Marlins World Series?" Apparently Carlin texted both Mike and Dog to "s*** his d***!"

Would be hilarious if somehow WFAN uses that to fire Carlin with cause, not have to pay him a penny, and then we get a show of Bart and Maggie.

Why would that be cause for firing a guy?

Bart does a good job w/ football and i actually like him a lot more than I thought. Maggie also does well, I find Carlin as the one who is out of place. Good play-by-play person but, like Michael Kay, not much to say otherwise. We'll see how Franscessa does but it will be more interesting seeing if WFAN implodes because the media reports that people there all seem to hate Francessa. No doubt he comes back as a cocky pain in the neck. Will be fun to see how it goes, but other than that, i haven't really missed hearing Mike Francessa for however long he hasn't been there.

No truth to this. The others will be happy to have mike back. He is the only chance to save the wfan. He is called the King for a reason. Most of the guys complaining are the ones getting the bad ratings, thus making this move necessary.

Why would this be funny? If Carlin actually did this then he's got some balls at least.

I like Bart Scott too. I think the show is better than when MF and his giant ego was there. Outside of golf and hourse racing, he wasn't real good on sports. I think the whole show is better now.

It’s a shame for Carlin. I was enjoying Carlin on WIP when he left for WFAN. It was a different approach, an outsider GASP, that brought a fresh perspective to Philly sports radio. Not to mention he had Ash on multiple times which I thought was good for the overall image of RU football in South Jersey & SE PA.

I liked Carlin on WIP. Good approach, good team with Ike, good sense of humor. Maybe he’ll go back there. WFAN is unlistenable. And will be even more so with Mike.

How can they fire him for that???

CMB is terrible, unlistenable and I really like all 3 of them individually. A collective disaster.

I'd love to hear Maggie with Mike. Never in a million years would he go for it but her wit and knowledge would mesh with his show.

I think we tend to overrate Carlin because of his Rutgers ties. (Much the way we treat Bruce Beck seriously.) Carlin is OK, but his voice is rough to listen to. It's too bad Kim Jones wasn't interested, because she and Carlin would have been fun.

Otherwise, all I can say is nobody gets time to build an audience any more. They kill off good TV shows if they don't get ratings within weeks. You just can't lose ONE-THIRD of your audience in one ratings book. And you can't lose to your primary competition after NEVER losing to him before. Is it a sign of desperation? Yes, it is.

I don't hate Francesca, I just find him past his prime and too full of himself to realize it. But he got ratings, ratings mean dollars, and WFAN without him is foundering.

Reactions: bac2therac
BART is terrible and almost unlistenable.

The station made a bet that the ratings are inelastic to personality and are a function of the slot and station. The initial book, which you’d expect to be leading indicator of that belief due to Francesa carry overs, dropped precipitously (vs before, the Kay comparison is meaningless). With Francesa missing the gig and not having signed yet, it makes sense.

CMB is terrible, unlistenable and I really like all 3 of them individually. A collective disaster.

I'd love to hear Maggie with Mike. Never in a million years would he go for it but her wit and knowledge would mesh with his show.
Putting 3 hosts together on a radio show is asinine. That program was doomed to fail.

I think we tend to overrate Carlin because of his Rutgers ties. (Much the way we treat Bruce Beck seriously.) Carlin is OK, but his voice is rough to listen to. It's too bad Kim Jones wasn't interested, because she and Carlin would have been fun.

Otherwise, all I can say is nobody gets time to build an audience any more. They kill off good TV shows if they don't get ratings within weeks. You just can't lose ONE-THIRD of your audience in one ratings book. And you can't lose to your primary competition after NEVER losing to him before. Is it a sign of desperation? Yes, it is.

I don't hate Francesca, I just find him past his prime and too full of himself to realize it. But he got ratings, ratings mean dollars, and WFAN without him is foundering.
Carlin sounds like a glorified college radio station host.

Reactions: bac2therac
If I was Joe and Evan, CMB, and also Boomer and Gio who also hate Mike and have pretty much said so on Air. I would be boycotting the hell out of this move.

I'm sorry, but despite it flaws, the station is better off without a guy telling people from 3-7 that their opinion is wrong. He is a shell of what he once was, and other Media companies saw that, which is why his grandiose plans of going to another medium backfired. Make no mistake, he will spin this as WFAN needing him, but the truth is he needs WFAN more.

This. Proves he is totally unmarketable in the real world and his only job opportunity is at the WFAN.

I find most sports radio to be mostly crap. I haven't listened to the new show on WFAN but if I'm going to listen to someone, it will be Mike. He may be a pompous blowhard, but he's got the pipes and personality to make a show interesting. Total legend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT