ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Frank Thomas Dead at 93

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
The NL power hitting first and third baseman and outfielder has left us.

He was known in these parts as the Mets first HR threat,setting the club record of 34 in 1962,lasting until broken by Strawberry in the 80's.

He won a $10 bet from Willie Mays by barehandedly catching Willie's fastest throw from 60 feet away.

Another of the 1957 Pirates has gone away,leaving just 4 from the first MLB game I saw on Aug.16,1957.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Geez, I thought this was about the Big Hurt, and thought he was that old? He looked great in those commercials for those pills.

To the OP- a link is always helpful?

Thanks I remember him from when growing up and from his Pitt-Met days.
Usually when the name Frank Thomas comes up I think of the White Sox slugger
as OP pointed out not to be confused with

Reactions: Knight Shift
The NL power hitting first and third baseman and outfielder has left us.

He was known in these parts as the Mets first HR threat,setting the club record of 34 in 1962,lasting until broken by Strawberry in the 80's.

He won a $10 bet from Willie Mays by barehandedly catching Willie's fastest throw from 60 feet away.

Another of the 1957 Pirates has gone away,leaving just 4 from the first MLB game I saw on Aug.16,1957.
RIP Big Hurt. One of the best hitters of the 90s.

LOL wrong Frank Thomas
oops-unapologetic.gif

Growing up Frank Thomas was my favorite NY Mets. At 93, sounds like something I'd sign up for.

It's still sad that he died, though, right?
I dunno.. he was supposed to live forever? I never got that memo.

There has to be another word than "sad" that would fit a 93-year-old dying. I don't know what that word would be, but someone should create one or teach me one here.

"Noteworthy" maybe? Worth giving a moment's thought and respect?

RIP

There has to be another word than "sad" that would fit a 93-year-old dying. I don't know what that word would be, but someone should create one or teach me one here.

RIP

Sad but not a tragedy. Worth giving a moment's thought and respect, and actually a celebration of a life fully lived.

Reactions: hoquat63
Maybe someone who has the ability to do so should post a picture of Frank’s baseball card

Agreed, his death shouldn’t be subject to jokes either

I guess I don't (obviously) have a problem with a little mild (not nasty) humor. I actually made a few mild jokes when I delivered my father's eulogy. And I'm aware of the confusion about the name.

RIP

Sad but not a tragedy. Worth giving a moment's thought and respect, and actually a celebration of a life fully lived.
My Dad passed at 92 on NYE last year and that's how a friend of the family described it. She was right.

The day before he still saying how much he wanted to go to the Gator Bowl.

My Dad passed at 92 on NYE last year and that's how a friend of the family described it. She was right.

The day before he still saying how much he wanted to go to the Gator Bowl.
Days before my dads imminent death I was hyping his next destination
Told hm it’s paradise, you’ll be out of this horrible pain, back with mom and all your old buddies.
He told me “if it’s that good you go”

Days before my dad's imminent death I was hyping his next destination.
Told him it’s paradise, you’ll be out of this horrible pain, back with mom and all your old buddies.
He told me “If it’s that good you go.”
I read that in his voice.

Last edited:
Days before my dads imminent death I was hyping his next destination
Told hm it’s paradise, you’ll be out of this horrible pain, back with mom and all your old buddies.
He told me “if it’s that good you go”
So true.

ADVERTISEMENT