ADVERTISEMENT

OT: furnace / thermostat help

BobbyVFan

Freshman
Jan 25, 2012
Sorry for the OT after a week when we actually have some decent football to talk about but.... Went to turn on my heat today and nothing is turning on. I've seen this addressed in this board before so I'm hoping it's a quick fix and not a $$$$ repair. When my central air is running I have the red wire running to the Rc port. For heat I remove it from Rc and put it in R. Does this sound right? That's how I remember doing it in the past but then again I'm getting old and who knows. Any help would be great appreciated.
http://i.imgur.com/ooL2ReO

Last edited:
Why are you moving wires around? I'm confused... I turn my thermostats from "Cool" to "Heat".

Why are you moving wires around? I'm confused... I turn my thermostats from "Cool" to "Heat".
I dont have a "jumper wire" that runs from my r to rc. In absence of that jumper wire, I have to switch a wire when the seasons change.

What kind of systems do you have? Rc is red cool. Rh is red hot. You shouldnt have to switch these.

giphy.gif

My thermostat had the batteries die and I replaced the batteries in the actual thermostat and everything was fine after that. Could be a simple solution like that.

Don't forget to get your new one to be compatible with either an Apple TV or Amazon Echo so you can just tell it to turn up or down. Having to actually touch a thermostat is soooooooo 2015.

Reactions: FanuSanu52
Get a Nest thermostat. Not cheap, but the energy saved will pay for itself...... also controllable via phone, computer, iPad, etc........Very easy to operate and easy to install. Has an away feature that will detect you are not around and turn off the heat/AC etc. Turn it on/off from anywhere with internet access or cellular access and many other cool features. Problem solved!

Sorry for the OT after a week when we actually have some decent football to talk about but.... Went to turn on my heat today and nothing is turning on. I've seen this addressed in this board before so I'm hoping it's a quick fix and not a $$$$ repair. When my central air is running I have the red wire running to the Rc port. For heat I remove it from Rc and put it in R. Does this sound right? That's how I remember doing it in the past but then again I'm getting old and who knows. Any help would be great appreciated.
http://i.imgur.com/ooL2ReO
Problem solved. Thank you all for your suggestions. Ended up being an emergency shut off switch was in the proper position, but just needed to be toggled one time.
Gmay8, I had the same thing happen to me a couple years ago. Quite the exhale when everything runs as expected again and only costs a couple dollars to fix.

ADVERTISEMENT