ADVERTISEMENT

OT: FYI Major blackout NYC 7/13/19

ScarletteK80

Heisman Winner
Mar 4, 2003
Major blackout in Manhattan. "A big swath of Manhattan was hit by a blackout Saturday night. Street lights were reported knocked out on Columbus Ave. on the Upper West Side, and a power outage was also reported in Rockefeller Center."

Where is diblasio? Is he holding up traffic to get to his gym in Brooklyn from midtown Manhattan like he does everyday because he won’t join a gym in Manhattan.

Where is diblasio? Is he holding up traffic to get to his gym in Brooklyn from midtown Manhattan like he does everyday because he won’t join a gym in Manhattan.[/QUOT. He is in Iowa. Was on tv awhile ago. This will hurt him politically both nationally and locally.

Last edited:
Reactions: blueoyster
Shifty You are your usual asshat self. Love ya bud. 42 years to the day of the big blackout..What would your boy Trump do about this? He is such a brave warrior. I am sure he would be out on the street .

Reactions: RUforJERSEY
I remember as a 14 year old kid in Brooklyn when the blackout of 1977 hit. Luckily there was no looting in my neighborhood but what a wild and wacky day or two that was. I left a ymca type of facility with a friend and boom all of a sudden everything was black and dark. Fun times. I miss the innocence of the 70s

Where is diblasio? Is he holding up traffic to get to his gym in Brooklyn from midtown Manhattan like he does everyday because he won’t join a gym in Manhattan.
He’s in Iowa. This will hurt him politically both nationally and locally.

Area impacted is west side. 42 street to 72 street from west side highway to 5th Avenue.

Area impacted is west side. 42 street to 72 street from west side highway to 5th Avenue.

MSG is out, which is obviously below 42nd St, and a former FDNY commissioner is on the phone on CNN and speculating that the blackout might be more widespread than thought and could spread.

How can he be hurt anymore nationally? He is polling close to zero.

And it probably helps him in NYC. If he were here, he'd probably insist on leading a parade of Con Ed trucks to the affected manhole.

I’ve got a great picture from my balcony of the blacked-out upper west and Harlem just can’t post it grrrrr....crazy thing is 2- seconds after I snapped the picture everything that’s lit up below, for at least 20 blocks, lost power for about three seconds. Didn’t get another shot off unfortunately.

If anyone can tell me how to post a picture real quick without having to save it to a host let me know!

MSG is out, which is obviously below 42nd St, and a former FDNY commissioner is on the phone on CNN and speculating that the blackout might be more widespread than thought and could spread.
Spread more south. There was a Jennifer Lopez concert at msg that got cancelled along with all of broadway shows.

I’ve got a great picture from my balcony of the blacked-out upper west and Harlem just can’t post it grrrrr....crazy thing is 2- seconds after I snapped the picture everything that’s lit up below, for at least 20 blocks, lost power for about three seconds. Didn’t get another shot off unfortunately.

If anyone can tell me how to post a picture real quick without having to save it to a host let me know!
is it on your phone?

You use google photos? Use phone data like you are using for this site... resize it smaller first to save data/time/battery. I generally do not backup to google photos until I have wifi access.. but I can force it when need be.

The share your google photo and get the link and post the link here.

If you are an appliebot I cannot help you.. unless, of course, you use google photos on apple.

Hopefully power comes back on in a few hours as speculated. It’s fun for a few hours but reality and frustration Kick in when there’s no air conditioning and it’s hot. I had no power from super storm sandy for 10 days and somehow you make due but I hope people check on well being of elderly and sick people. Plus with no elevators in big risers , it’s no laughing matter

Now it’s 61k customers impacted. Up from 45k customers as reported when it started. Getting worse and moving more south.

Wall to wall coverage on national news networks for this..

While the Gulf Coast states in much serious situation with flooding.

Crazy how news works.

Reactions: tico brown
Power restored to much of Manhattan now - cool moment on CNN when the Con-Ed head was answering questions and the lights went on to cheers from the crowd. Con-Ed thinks this will be over by midnight, which is good. He also cast major doubt on a manhole fire being the cause of the outage. Also some cool moments on Broadway with various cancelled shows having cast members and musicians doing impromptu live performances outside the theaters.

Reactions: DirtyRU
is it on your phone?

You use google photos? Use phone data like you are using for this site... resize it smaller first to save data/time/battery. I generally do not backup to google photos until I have wifi access.. but I can force it when need be.

The share your google photo and get the link and post the link here.

If you are an appliebot I cannot help you.. unless, of course, you use google photos on apple.

Oh Yeah I got out to my pool deck around 3:30 PM today ...Don’t think I have the ability to do all that right now. I’ll try tomorrow Ha ha ha!

Wall to wall coverage on national news networks for this..

While the Gulf Coast states in much serious situation with flooding.

Crazy how news works.

The flooding due to storm surge has been moderate, but expected (they're used to dealing with this), and the flooding due to rainfall will likely be a lot less than feared, with much less rain now being forecast, so Barry is not as big of a story to me as a NYC blackout affecting hundreds of thousands of people.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
The flooding due to storm surge has been moderate, but expected (they're used to dealing with this), and the flooding due to rainfall will likely be a lot less than feared, with much less rain now being forecast, so Barry is not as big of a story to me as a NYC blackout affecting hundreds of thousands of people.
potential or NYC to go bad, quickly, possibly affecting millions should get coverage especially since it is easy to do so.. all the major networks biggest local as well as their national news shows are already there. And the hurricane and rain stuff will be going on for days.

Barry will affect millions. But the history of NYC blackouts is catnip to the network's.

BTW - I was a summer intern with New England Electric in 1977, and Art Buchwald's spoofing the "Act of God" aspect of blackouts was considered a classic.

Reactions: BigLou
oh the horror..what will they do? what will they do? 100K people living amoungst 7million....without power for a few hours....stop the presses.
Although that shithole penn station without power is the stuff of nightmares...that place is a slime pit under the best of circumstances...can you imagine what the corner of dried urine and third rail must be like?!!

Antiquated infrastructure, high demand with the heat and slot of rain recently are all the ingredients for a feeder failure.

We had a partial blackout here Friday. Next door and streets behind me and south were out but I never lost power. Can't figure why it didn't make the news. Lots of warm beer and forget making ice cubes.

DeBozio is an idiot,worse mayor ever,next to Dinkins.

In your post you’re simultaneously funny (debozio), redundant (an idiot) and truthful (dinkins that absolute dolt!)

Antiquated infrastructure, high demand with the heat and slot of rain recently are all the ingredients for a feeder failure.
It was probably something like that and I'm not one of those conspiracy theory-ish type people but half jokingly the first thing that I said to a friend when we heard was it's the Russian/Chinese with a Stuxnet type virus taking it out for a spin.

It was probably something like that and I'm not one of those conspiracy theory-ish type people but half jokingly the first thing that I said to a friend when we heard was it's the Russian/Chinese with a Stuxnet type virus taking it out for a spin.
If it was winter I would be all aboard your theory!

I remember as a 14 year old kid in Brooklyn when the blackout of 1977 hit. Luckily there was no looting in my neighborhood but what a wild and wacky day or two that was. I left a ymca type of facility with a friend and boom all of a sudden everything was black and dark. Fun times. I miss the innocence of the 70s
The one in the sixties had some “fun” associated with it and certain areas were able to bounce back but the one in ‘77, those areas (Bushwick and Bed-Sty) never recovered. In my line of work they became the busiest in the City. Only recently has there been some changes going on. So much so that my Hamptons-raised niece now lives in Bushwick.

So that’s partly why this seems to be getting more coverage than the hurricane right now.

The one in the sixties had some “fun” associated with it and certain areas were able to bounce back but the one in ‘77, those areas (Bushwick and Bed-Sty) never recovered. In my line of work they became the busiest in the City. Only recently has there been some changes going on. So much so that my Hamptons-raised niece now lives in Bushwick.

So that’s partly why this seems to be getting more coverage than the hurricane right now.
I grew up in Bensonhurst. An island to itself in the 70s and thereafter thru the end of the century. All things change as has Bensonhurst. As you said above what’s so surprising are the areas such as bushwick, bed stuy and Williamsburg that have become yuppie havens now. Good times indeed. Brooklyn was the best!

ADVERTISEMENT