ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gaiser’s or Union Pork Store?

RUSK97

Heisman Winner
Dec 28, 2007
CNJ
Tailgating from home...last day of October...looking to do a late Oktoberfest. Any preferences or opinions out there between those two?

Tailgating from home...last day of October...looking to do a late Oktoberfest. Any preferences or opinions out there between those two?
If you live any where near Berlin, NJ I highly recommend Bringhurst Meats. They slaughter and butcher on site. We take our pigs there and just had to try them out. I was blown away with their quality and are even better than Glory's Market out in Jackson which I'm a big fan of.

Reactions: WhiteBus
If you live any where near Berlin, NJ I highly recommend Bringhurst Meats. They slaughter and butcher on site. We take our pigs there and just had to try them out. I was blown away with their quality and are even better than Glory's Market out in Jackson which I'm a big fan of.
Nice, but too far for me. I’m in North Somerset county. Now why’d I think an abattoir couldn’t sell meat?

Reactions: koleszar
Great shout out for Glory's. Grew up eating their stuff.

Reactions: koleszar
Nice, but too far for me. I’m in North Somerset county. Now why’d I think an abattoir couldn’t sell meat?
It's a haul for us as well, but their curing of bacon(not too salty) and sausage spice mix is second to none, which is why we bring the pigs there. They also raise a lot of their own animals as they own the whole farm surrounding the butcher shop and abattoir house. And abattoir? [roll]Actually had to look it up, well done on the subtle wording, I'll have to start using that one for our more sensitive posters.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUSK97
Barths has great German and Eastern European stuff. Really top shelf stuff.

Is Glory's going away in favor of a Wawa?

Is Glory's going away in favor of a Wawa?

Could be, I'm going today to pick up a boneless Prime Rib for the game. They got whalloped by a truck last year wonder why they even bothered to rebuild, Should have just sold it to Wawa. That'll make 3 Wawa's within a 2 mile radius. So the question begs how many Wawa's is too many Wawa's?

Last edited:
Two long standing popular food places shuttered up for good in Morris County recently — Denville’s Schwind’s Meat Market and East Hanover’s Esposito’s Deli.

I grew up going to Haines Pork shop in Mickleton (Gloucester County). Lots of pigs hanging on hooks. I loved watching the bacon slicing machine while waiting in line.

Still the best butcher in the area. Had Joe Leone's sausage out of Pt. Pleasant people rave about it, it absolutely sucks. No taste at all, felt like I was eating rubber.
Joe Leone's sausage is awful. Overground and tasteless. Pastosa on the other hand has delicious sausage, Rings and links. Recommend the hot sausage and broccoli rabe and cheese.

Joe Leone bread is fantastic, sausage not so much.

Do you have to eat your own pigs ?

"Wu, just don't feed me to the pigs.", Deadwood.

Do you have to eat your own pigs ?

"Wu, just don't feed me to the pigs.", Deadwood.
We do and they're yummy. The meat is actually red from our free range Kune Kune pigs. They actually originated from @SkilletHead2 neck of the woods out in New Zealand.

Careful, even a big guy like you, I'd give a day for you to disappear. 🤪

Reactions: BigWill
Joe Leone's sausage is awful. Overground and tasteless. Pastosa on the other hand has delicious sausage, Rings and links. Recommend the hot sausage and broccoli rabe and cheese.

Joe Leone bread is fantastic, sausage not so much.
I agree on Pastosa. We like the sausage and veal offerings as well as their ceviche at their Florham Park store. Pastosa was recommended to us as an alternative to Esposito’s. It is much more than Esposito’s.

11074601_1008245975861733_3412862825662636272_o.jpg

I have lived in Union for 46 and a half years. Lutz's on Stuyvesant Avenue use to be the butcher shop to go to when my wife and I bought our home in Union. On a Saturday morning the lines were often out the door and you had to get a ticket from a machine. Union was a well known German town with The Mozart Cafe and the Hofbrau House as well. People came from all over to Lutz's and the Mozart. The ownership of Lutz's changed and I don't think they have as high of a rating any more. My wife was broken hearted too when the Mozart went out of business. My wife passed away six and a half years ago and I rarely go to Lutz's any longer. The other 2 shops you mentioned in Union are supposedly pretty good.

Reactions: RUSK97
ADVERTISEMENT