ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gale Sayers dead at 77

One of the great players ever. Career cut very short by a knee injury, yet still earned entry into Canton on his 7 year career. Rest in peace.

Knee injuries (plural). Would have been a big beneficiary if arthroscopic surgery had been around when he played.

Never saw him play live, but his runs on tape were so graceful and fluid. Not a lot of RBs with his skillset I can recall - maybe McCoy, Dorsett or McCaffrey, but he seemed special. Will also live in eternity with Brian's Song. RIP

Reactions: Greg2020 and beaced
And possibly the best "made for TV" movie ever made.
they need to remake it. Tried to get my kids to watch it and they just laughed at the graphics and made me turn it off

Seeing him back to receive a kickoff was a thrill. As a Rutgers fan, only Terrel Willis had that level of expectation... just seeing them back there meant you might see a KO or PR return TD.

"fluid" is the perfect word.. Barry Sanders was all starts and stops with ridiculous control.. but Sayers was smooth.

Last edited:
Reactions: beaced
The Kansas Comet. One of my favorite college players growing up. In those days it was hard to find college games on TV as it was really only CBS and ABC carrying 1 or 2 games a week, both on Saturday. Later when Sayers was with the Bear, it was a bit easier to find Bears games on TV, mostly when they played the Giants.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Amazing that a team could have Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus and not be very good.

Amazing that Kansas could produce Gale Sayers and John Riggins.

First pro football game I attended was Bears versus Falcons at Atlanta Stadium in 1967. Every time Gale Sayers touched the ball everyone in the stadium stood up expecting a big play. He scored a couple long touchdowns in that game. In my opinion he was the most dangerous running back.

I read I am Third by Gale Sayers when I was a kid. The book definitely influenced me on how to live life. RIP to a great player and better man.

I loved the part of his off season training regiment, which involved a combination of aerobic exercises and weight lifting. Teammates who attended a session for the first time would either pass out from exhaustion or throw up, or both.

I read I am Third by Gale Sayers when I was a kid. The book definitely influenced me on how to live life. RIP to a great player and better man.

Great book. Talked about growing up in the ghetto, his career and his friendship with Brian Piccolo. God is first, my family second and I am third.

The movie stands as one of the greatest male tearjerkers of all time. It was a made for TV movie so it was not an expensive production. who can forget the slo-motion clips of Billy Dee and James Caan running while that great theme song played.
No need to re-make a classic.

I get teary just thinking about that book/movie even now. RIP to a special soul.
Serby put up a nice article.

I remember watching the movie as a kid and biting my lip til it bled so I wouldn’t cry in front of my father lol

I wonder how much time he spent coming up with end zone dances. Unlike a lot of players dancing these days, he actually spent a lot of time in the end zone.

One of the great players ever. Career cut very short by a knee injury, yet still earned entry into Canton on his 7 year career. Rest in peace.

Never saw him play ( before my time ) but my step father used to say he was the best he ever saw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT