ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gasoline Choice

Putting fuel in a car that is likely to cause damage does not seem okay simply because “it’s a rental” owned by a large company.

BTW, thanks for your insult. As a professing Christian, you are likely aware of this passage:

“Blessed are you when men hate you, and ostracize you, and insult you, and scorn your name as evil, for the sake of the Son of Man.”

Luke 6:22
Good ole Luke has you covered. Good for you

Anyway- you realize that the rental companies are NOT refueling with premium when you return it with a tank half full...They are treating these cars as Leases and since it is very unlikely the gas is going to be a problem over the time of their ownership, it makes no sense for them to use it. For the few cars that may have a problem due to lower gas, they have already factored that into their prices. If you don't think companies like these dont have all of this figured in...you are living in a different world.
So, maybe, they should offer us renters a 10% off cert if we come back with receipts that we used 91 or higher. Just saying.
On the other hand, if I were to borrow someone's car, I would 100% always put in the required fuel. If I stayed at an Airbnb I would treat it as my own. As I am renting my home right now, the landlord will get a home back that had been cared for and in better shape then when I rented it from them.

I agree with the "why buy a premium car and then not use the gasoline that maximizes performance". I own and always use premium (BJs). I suppose some people just want the luxury image factor and then drive like grandparents. Biggest pet peeve is those gas stations near airports that gouge people as they come in to refill rentals. Orlando comes to mind. Given the price that the rental car companies charge to refill the tank if you don't, most people look to fill the tank right before returning the vehicle.

I agree with the "why buy a premium car and then not use the gasoline that maximizes performance". I own and always use premium (BJs). I suppose some people just want the luxury image factor and then drive like grandparents. Biggest pet peeve is those gas stations near airports that gouge people as they come in to refill rentals. Orlando comes to mind. Given the price that the rental car companies charge to refill the tank if you don't, most people look to fill the tank right before returning the vehicle.
100% nothing better than...except cuddling for a movie, of course lol

On another note...I love premium luxury and performance cars. But if it is a lease, I am sorry but my driving enjoyment will not notice a difference on NJ roads.

Reminds me of the looters and rioters who claim stealing and destruction of private property is no big deal because insurance will pay or doesn’t matter because the victim is just a rich corporation.

Welcome to America 2020.
What a bizarre comparison. As if people were putting the most expensive gas they could find in their rentals until this year. The rental companies themselves do not expect people to do that. It's sad how some people just cannot pass up an opportunity to inject a political rant into an innocent non-political thread with useful information.

Have been using Costco Regular gas in wife's Audi for 5 years and 70 k miles. No problem Premium is recommended but not required . The car's ECM adjusts automatically for the difference in Octane.

Have a Subaru with a Turbo and regular gas is recommended even with the turbo.

Reactions: zappaa
Oil would make sense but in a state where you don't always pump your own gas, hard to prove you did not always ask for premium and maybe an attendant screwed up or did a switch on you. just saying

You really can't be serious in any way. If you are, I will pray for you tonight. lol

I mean, the guy believes Disney is beaming Satanic messages into children's brains, so...I bet he is serious.

Have been using Costco Regular gas in wife's Audi for 5 years and 70 k miles. No problem Premium is recommended but not required . The car's ECM adjusts automatically for the difference in Octane.

Have a Subaru with a Turbo and regular gas is recommended even with the turbo.
What year and model is the Subaru if you don't mind me asking? I am on my second 05 Baja Turbo, which says 91 is required. I only used regular on my old one, and it lasted me 189,000 miles and just short of 14 years. It did end up with a blown engine though. Whether or not using regular gas for all those years shortened its life, who knows? Either way, I'm only using premium on my new one.

I always worry when anyone feels the need to quote scripture to excuse their behavior.

That’s quite a statement from a self-professed Christian.

Nevertheless, the passage from Luke was not offered to excuse my behavior. Rather, I mentioned that quote from Jesus to explain to you why I am thankful for your latest insult.

Thanks, again.

Have a great rest of the day!

Last edited:
Electric is not my cup of tea, but check out Rivian if you are into EV's

i'm def not on the electric bandwagon just yet...except for the taycan as an academic exercise. too much range anxiety for me. and what good is having an extremely capable sports sedan that can only be used for local puttering around town? i want to be able to road trip with my car.

Reactions: czxqa
That’s quite a statement from a self-professed Christian.

Nevertheless, the passage from Luke was not offered to excuse my behavior. Rather, I mentioned that quote from Jesus to explain to you why I am thankful for your latest insult.

Thanks, again.

Have a great rest of the day!
I believe in a greater being and lean mostly toward Christian beliefs if I had to make a choice. If push came to shove, I wouldn't be surprised if our American Indians or many other Cultures end up right and that there is more than one God with different things that fall within their domain.
And while I respect the Bible and would never judge any person negatively for loving and believing all that is within the Bible, I do find it disturbing when someone likes to use it in any debate of someone's choice. As a defense or offense.
Read it, learn from it, interpret it as you feel you should. That is a wonderful thing. But take 100 scholars who have studied it and you will get 100 interpretations.

So, maybe you are right, you did not use it to excuse your behavior, I did say that wrong. It isn't up to me to judge your behavior, but you did use it as a cop out.

And if I want to put regular gas into a rental - who the F are you to call Christian beliefs into it? Or anyone's beliefs and make a judgement on it. That is so hypocritical of you. But that is ok, I shall forgive you...
“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. " Luke 6:37

I believe in a greater being and lean mostly toward Christian beliefs if I had to make a choice. If push came to shove, I wouldn't be surprised if our American Indians or many other Cultures end up right and that there is more than one God with different things that fall within their domain.
And while I respect the Bible and would never judge any person negatively for loving and believing all that is within the Bible, I do find it disturbing when someone likes to use it in any debate of someone's choice. As a defense or offense.
Read it, learn from it, interpret it as you feel you should. That is a wonderful thing. But take 100 scholars who have studied it and you will get 100 interpretations.

So, maybe you are right, you did not use it to excuse your behavior, I did say that wrong. It isn't up to me to judge your behavior, but you did use it as a cop out.

And if I want to put regular gas into a rental - who the F are you to call Christian beliefs into it? Or anyone's beliefs and make a judgement on it. That is so hypocritical of you. But that is ok, I shall forgive you...
“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. " Luke 6:37

You (not I) introduced religion into this thread by scornfully offering to pray for me.

Next time you may want to reconsider before acting with such childish intolerance.

Again, have a great rest of the day!

You (not I) introduced religion into this thread by scornfully offering to pray for me.

Next time you may want to reconsider before acting with such childish intolerance.

Again, have a great rest of the day!
Interesting take. Promise not to pray for you. hahahaha

We can now remove that and you can go back to being your wonderful self. I still wont put Premium into a rental or a lease

only electric worth any attention at the moment is the porsche taycan. bit pricey tho.

I am really excited about electric cars, and Tesla is three years ahead of any other company making electric cars. (Picking up a Model Y on Thursday.)

The Porsche Taycan is an all-around awesome automobile, but costs twice the price and gets around 1/2 the drive range of the Model S. (The Model Y isn't a good comparison, but I could get three Model Y cars for the price of one Taycan.) The Taycan is a bit more powerful, but doubt there are many opportunities to drive up to 150 mph.

Reactions: lne001
Bunch of my neighbors have them. Not impressed. Weird squeaks and rattles on <2 year old cars.
It's odd that your neighbors don't call Tesla service for their squeaky cars especially since the service vehicle comes directly to your house or work. Less than 2 years old = still under warranty. Almost sounds like you made up the whole story.

i'm def not on the electric bandwagon just yet...except for the taycan as an academic exercise. too much range anxiety for me. and what good is having an extremely capable sports sedan that can only be used for local puttering around town? i want to be able to road trip with my car.
I drive a model 3 and range anxiety is non-existent. And I do a hell of a lot more driving other than "puttering around town".

Reactions: lne001
It's odd that your neighbors don't call Tesla service for their squeaky cars especially since the service vehicle comes directly to your house or work. Less than 2 years old = still under warranty. Almost sounds like you made up the whole story.
You're welcome to come by and observe. There are quite a few here.

Putting fuel in a car that is likely to cause damage does not seem okay simply because “it’s a rental” owned by a large company.

BTW, thanks for your insult. As a professing Christian, you are likely aware of this passage:

“Blessed are you when men hate you, and ostracize you, and insult you, and scorn your name as evil, for the sake of the Son of Man.”

Luke 6:22

You are now off any Supreme Court List.

Knowledge of the Bible is a disqualifying event.

almost every model from the premium brands requires 91 octane gas. there are some non-premium cars that do as well, i.e., subaru's and various VW engines
And? What do you think that means? Do you think that the amount of premium gas sold is less than what the number of vehicles needing it should require?

Are you saying 11%-12% premium gas being sold means many vehicles that "require" it are getting regular gas?

Found this.. statista..

5%

The luxury car segment currently makes up about five percent of the U.S. car market, while crossover vehicles account for the largest segment at approximately 40 percent. Luxury car brands are known to organize as solo companies (i.e. Tesla) or as a subsidiary of a larger automaker, such as Lexus of Toyota.Jun 10, 2020

Also this:

16 percent (require premium gas)

Results reveal: Seventy percent of U.S. drivers currently own a vehicle that requires regular gasoline, while 16 percent drive vehicles that require premium fuel. The remaining 14 percent own a vehicle that requires mid-grade gasoline (10 percent) or uses an alternative energy source (4 percent).Sep 20, 2016

I had no idea anything requires "mid-grade" gasoline.

Last edited:
What year and model is the Subaru if you don't mind me asking? I am on my second 05 Baja Turbo, which says 91 is required. I only used regular on my old one, and it lasted me 189,000 miles and just short of 14 years. It did end up with a blown engine though. Whether or not using regular gas for all those years shortened its life, who knows? Either way, I'm only using premium on my new one.

2020 Subaru Ascent. My first Subaru. I do know previous turbo Subaru's required higher octane gas. The Ascent get 260 HP from a 4 cylinder engine and can get above 25 mpg on the highway. Great Car

There is a belief that sediment is being stirred up in the tanks and could get pumped into your car. Could this have possibly happened years ago with steel storage tanks maybe. Modern storage tanks are no longer metal and pumping systems have filters designed to block any debris from entering your fuel system. The fuel is also filtered when it is put in the tanker truck prior to delivery.

And? What do you think that means? Do you think that the amount of premium gas sold is less than what the number of vehicles needing it should require?

Are you saying 11%-12% premium gas being sold means many vehicles that "require" it are getting regular gas?

Found this.. statista..

5%

The luxury car segment currently makes up about five percent of the U.S. car market, while crossover vehicles account for the largest segment at approximately 40 percent. Luxury car brands are known to organize as solo companies (i.e. Tesla) or as a subsidiary of a larger automaker, such as Lexus of Toyota.Jun 10, 2020

Also this:

16 percent (require premium gas)

Results reveal: Seventy percent of U.S. drivers currently own a vehicle that requires regular gasoline, while 16 percent drive vehicles that require premium fuel. The remaining 14 percent own a vehicle that requires mid-grade gasoline (10 percent) or uses an alternative energy source (4 percent).Sep 20, 2016

I had no idea anything requires "mid-grade" gasoline.
my point was that there is a non-inconsequential number of vehicles on the road where premium is required. question on the #'s you found...do crossover's from luxury brands count in the luxury car segment? not arguing for or against, but just wanted to understand them.

My first car was a used 1969, 383 Plymouth Roadrunner while on active duty in the Army. I went all over with that car including Pikes Peak and a variety of National Parks. Gas was cheap, but I still used regular and would put premium every so often. It ran fine. What a fun car androgen always worked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT