ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gasoline Choice

2020 Subaru Ascent. My first Subaru. I do know previous turbo Subaru's required higher octane gas. The Ascent get 260 HP from a 4 cylinder engine and can get above 25 mpg on the highway. Great Car
Ah I see, yeah looks like we have different engines.

Some of us remember when you had the choice between Leaded and Un-leaded gas with the 2 sized nozzles so you couldn't put leaded in a car requiring un-leaded.

Reactions: MADHAT1
We lease all but one of our cars and just use regular gas. Performance suffers a little bit but I don’t care. They perform more than enough.

Some of us remember when you had the choice between Leaded and Un-leaded gas with the 2 sized nozzles so you couldn't put leaded in a car requiring un-leaded.
1982. 87 and 91 octane unleaded, and 89 octane leaded (bigger nozzle)

Picked up my Tesla Model Y yesterday. It is everything I had thought it would be. I won't have to ever pump my own gas again. (Most New Jerseyans never have to deal with that, but folks in 48 other states do.) Doubt I'll ever buy another ICE car again.

Reactions: Jm0513
Picked up my Tesla Model Y yesterday. It is everything I had thought it would be. I won't have to ever pump my own gas again. (Most New Jerseyans never have to deal with that, but folks in 48 other states do.) Doubt I'll ever buy another ICE car again.

I guess I'm one of the few who actually enjoy doing it myself. Like checking and changing my own oil, etc.
But now you have to plug it in yourself, no?

Reactions: LC-88
Exxon must have really turned their act around in the last 25 years to be considered a Top Tier brand.

I used to work summers for a pipeline company whose pipes and tanks were used to transport and store different brands of commercial gasoline as well as jet fuel for Newark. When the product is flowing in or out it is tested every few hours. Exxon gasoline looked like sludge over 80% of the time.

FWIW back then the best looking product was BP (almost clear), Mobil (before Exxon merged with it) and Sunoco (pinkish tint but clear).

Like I said though, these are my own old, unscientific observations.
My vehicles run smoother and get better mpg when I run BP fuel as opposed to Wawa or Exxon

90 octane ethanol free gas for generators, atv, mower and chain saws. car gets ethanol crap gas

This. A former RU housemate is now a chemist for Sunoco and has studied ethanol. He first told me to only use nonethanol gas in small engines something like 20-years ago and still reminds me from time-to-time. The guy works for Sunoco, but buys his own gas from a competitor because Sunoco doesn't have readily available nonethanol. He's long maintained that, with small engines in particular, ethanol can cause corrosion, retains more water and can result in overheating with heavy use. It's also supposed to store better, even without use of fuel stabilizer (which I also use anyway).

This. A former RU housemate is now a chemist for Sunoco and has studied ethanol. He first told me to only use nonethanol gas in small engines something like 20-years ago and still reminds me from time-to-time. The guy works for Sunoco, but buys his own gas from a competitor because Sunoco doesn't have readily available nonethanol. He's long maintained that, with small engines in particular, ethanol can cause corrosion, retains more water and can result in overheating with heavy use. It's also supposed to store better, even without use of fuel stabilizer (which I also use anyway).
Ethanol gas contains water. Take a glass mason jar and put an inch of water in it. Fill it with ethanol based gas, and shake. you will end up with more than an inch of water in the jar. home grown test kit to check that ethanol free gas is in fact ethanol free.

Yes, plug it in at home.
Forgive me for what may be a really ignorant question...do you also have to buy some sort of charging station that needs to be installed at home or do you really just plug it in?
Also- with the 300-400 ranges these get, can it really be your only car in the house. Not sure I would want to travel and have to rely on finding charging stations and how long it may take to recharge. Other than that, I love the look of the X...not really a fan of any of the others. Though, the 3 is not a bad entry for the price. Could easily make it a 2nd car in the home

Forgive me for what may be a really ignorant question...do you also have to buy some sort of charging station that needs to be installed at home or do you really just plug it in?
Also- with the 300-400 ranges these get, can it really be your only car in the house. Not sure I would want to travel and have to rely on finding charging stations and how long it may take to recharge. Other than that, I love the look of the X...not really a fan of any of the others. Though, the 3 is not a bad entry for the price. Could easily make it a 2nd car in the home

The Telsa comes with a portable cable that can be plugged into a standard outlet in your garage or driveway. However, using a regular 120v outlet will take a really long time to recharge the vehicle. Turns out I had an unused dryer outlet (240v) that was easy to convert to a dedicated charging station for the Tesla. My estimate is the Tesla recharges at home at a rate of about 20 miles per hour.

I paid the $500 for the Wall Charger + installation by an electrician, but that wasn't required. One does need two charging solutions - one for the home and one for the road.

Tesla has a network of supercharger stations (plus destination chargers) throughout the USA. However, I anticipate only using those for really long trips. I expect to plug the Tesla in each night be fully charged the next morning. Among many other things, the supercharger network is a game changer compared to other EVs.

BTW, My Model Y currently goes from 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. Tesla is now pushing an over the air upgrade to reduce that to 4.3 seconds. Cost - $2,000. I'm not sure if I'm going to pony up. 0-60 in 4.8 seconds is pretty damn amazing on its own.

• Wow
Reactions: Jm0513
BTW, My Model Y currently goes from 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. Tesla is now pushing an over the air upgrade to reduce that to 4.3 seconds. Cost - $2,000. I'm not sure if I'm going to pony up. 0-60 in 4.8 seconds is pretty damn amazing on its own.
That's one of those things that bothers me about teslas... the capacity and ability is already built in, but you have to pay extra to use it. It's like buying a BMW M3, but have software only allowing you to have a 330. Just doesn't feel right.

That's one of those things that bothers me about teslas... the capacity and ability is already built in, but you have to pay extra to use it. It's like buying a BMW M3, but have software only allowing you to have a 330. Just doesn't feel right.

Yeah, agreed. But this is one of those things that has stock buyers practically jizzing themselves over TSLA - the ability for the company to continue monetizing Tesla upgrades.

almost every model from the premium brands requires 91 octane gas. there are some non-premium cars that do as well, i.e., subaru's and various VW engines
Wrong. Only subaru turbos require anything over 87 octane.

ADVERTISEMENT