ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gaylord Perry Dead at 84

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
The HOF righthander,a spitball cheater who won over 300 games, has passed.

Strangely,I was just watching a You Tube video of the San Francisco area in 1969 which failed to mention his famous homer hit on his next at bat after the Moon landing,fullfilling Larry Jansen's prophecy in 1961 of "There'll be a Man on the Moon before he hits a home run."

I am so ancient that I knew of his brother Jim before Gaylord came along. Jim was a pretty good pitcher himself who lasted a long time.

Inspired one of the best scenes in Major League:

main-qimg-d0fa694ed9509a0287639016ef8dd99c

Reactions: colbert17
Padre Cy Young winner
Padres got him in a trade with Texas for Dave Tomlin. Two seasons later they trade him back to Texas for Willie Montanez.

Rest in Peace

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
Yeah Jim was no slouch.
A friend of mine was a MLB catcher for around nine years and caught Jim in 1972. He says Jim was a good guy and a smart pitcher who knew who to work around and who to attack to get out of an inning. Jim is still alive at 87.

A friend of mine was a MLB catcher for around nine years and caught Jim in 1972. He says Jim was a good guy and a smart pitcher who knew who to work around and who to attack to get out of an inning. Jim is still alive at 87.
I would be interested to know your friend's name -- I was a fan then. But if you are not comfortable identifying him, then I understand. I recall Jim Perry as an excellent pitcher, and I am not surprised he had a lot of savvy.

I would be interested to know your friend's name -- I was a fan then. But if you are not comfortable identifying him, then I understand. I recall Jim Perry as an excellent pitcher, and I am not surprised he had a lot of savvy.
72 Twins list four catchers

Screenshot+2014-07-12+at+8.50.54+PM.png

My friend had the highest batting average among the four hitting .234.
Yes, and he had the most plate appearances among the four. As I'm sure you know, two of the reserve catchers, George Mitterwald and Rick Dempsey, went on to have fine careers with, respectively, the Cubs and the Orioles. My thanks to @colbert17 for supplying the link.

Reactions: colbert17
An old boss of mine golfed with Glenn Borgmann a few times in North Jersey. It was just pure luck each time. My boss would go solo and he was paired up with Borgmann.
Golf is how we became friends. I play 3 days a week with my buddy Tony and about 6 years ago he saw Glenn, they went to school together, and asked to join our group because we had a spot open. We have been golfing together a couple days a week since. He is a great guy and we have a blast each week.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT