ADVERTISEMENT

OT- genius move by Mizzou

Somebody has empty dorm rooms? Wow ... didn't realize Missouri did that much harm to itself in the PR department.

"The St. Louis Post Dispatch adds that the concept has been in the works for some time and a mind-boggling seven residence halls have been taken offline in the wake of a huge drop in the number of students following a number of serious issues at the Columbia campus."

What the hell is going on out there?

"The St. Louis Post Dispatch adds that the concept has been in the works for some time and a mind-boggling seven residence halls have been taken offline in the wake of a huge drop in the number of students following a number of serious issues at the Columbia campus."

What the hell is going on out there?
And there's no way renting dorms to people during a drunkfest football weekend could go wrong, right?

OK, I'm going to check with the RU business office to see how much it will cost to rent Tinsley Hall for a football weekend and throw all the students out; let them sleep in tents in front of Old Queens.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
In Missouri you would think $120/night gets you more than a cot in a 4 man room, lol. More like a mansion!

Reactions: Scarletwoman
Somebody has empty dorm rooms? Wow ... didn't realize Missouri did that much harm to itself in the PR department.

Enrollment decline is part of a two-prong situation for university housing in Columbia, Mo. There has been an epic explosion in the number of private student housing units built in the downtown area on the edge of the campus. This fall, three of the larger buildings are scheduled to open. I would guess more than 800 beds in each. This follows news student apartment developments in the last few years with more than 5,000 beds total.

Enrollment decline is part of a two-prong situation for university housing in Columbia, Mo. There has been an epic explosion in the number of private student housing units built in the downtown area on the edge of the campus. This fall, three of the larger buildings are scheduled to open. I would guess more than 800 beds in each. This follows news student apartment developments in the last few years with more than 5,000 beds total.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.stlt...b7417bf6-268e-58c4-b358-ac369c4481fc.amp.html

Omigod... Could you imagine one of these huge tailgates renting the entire building? Oh, the humanity...
AnimalHouse2.jpg

giphy.gif

riding-motorcycle-up-stairs.gif

If losing 50% of freshmen enrollment in 2 years is brilliant....I would think they would rather have the dorms filled full time with students rather than on some random fall weekend. But an on campus dorm style accommodation for extended tailgating would be kind of awesome.

I don't think that is really doing anything to combat the problem. It is more like putting lipstick on a pig. If the article was about trying to attract students on extended visits on football weekend that would be doing something about the problem.

I would think with clean up costs, additional security, risk of legal issues and overtime staffing this will be a money losing proposition for the University.

OK, I'm going to check with the RU business office to see how much it will cost to rent Tinsley Hall for a football weekend and throw all the students out; let them sleep in tents in front of Old Queens.

You may have been joking when you wrote this but in the days when Rutgers College was still all-male, RU used to empty out one or two dorms on College Ave. during the Homecoming and "Soph Hop" (whatever happened to that?) weekends. The rooms were used for our "dates." Times have changed.

Concerning Mizzou, it is rather surprising that the flagship state university has experienced such a huge decline in its freshman applicant pool. Where would those students be going? SW Missouri State? I'm somewhat skeptical of that figure and more inclined to think that it is a 50% decline in the number of freshmen applying to live on campus because of the large amount of new student off-campus housing that has gone up, as was noted in one of the posts below.

I think RU is at capacity dorm wise. As a few years ago they were renting out hotels for the overflow.

Does anyone know how things are now?

Concerning Mizzou, it is rather surprising that the flagship state university has experienced such a huge decline in its freshman applicant pool. Where would those students be going? SW Missouri State? I'm somewhat skeptical of that figure and more inclined to think that it is a 50% decline in the number of freshmen applying to live on campus because of the large amount of new student off-campus housing that has gone up, as was noted in one of the posts below.

I looked up on-campus enrollment. I'm not sure whether that means living on campus or a full time student. However, while there was virtually no change in upper class figures, the enrolled freshmen declined by 20% from 2015 to 2016. If it were merely more availability of off campus housing I think there would have been declines in all the classes. Here's a link:

http://ir.missouri.edu/enrollement/e2-b.pdf

You may have been joking when you wrote this but in the days when Rutgers College was still all-male, RU used to empty out one or two dorms on College Ave. during the Homecoming and "Soph Hop" (whatever happened to that?) weekends. The rooms were used for our "dates." Times have changed.

You can be skeptical but those numbers were provided by the University itself. The 50% decline is in freshmen enrollment not in freshmen living on campus. The smallest freshmen enrollment in decades.

"The University of Missouri-Columbia is expecting at least a 14-percent decline in incoming freshmen this fall, resulting in its smallest class in nearly two decades.

Administrators project that about 4,000 freshmen will enroll in August. That’s down by about 700 students from 2016 and significantly lower than in 2015, when more than 6,000 enrolled.

The shrinking numbers have been tied at least partly to the protests on campus in 2015 that followed reports of racism on and near campus."

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_b7417bf6-268e-58c4-b358-ac369c4481fc.html

the Post Dispatch notes that the school is still discussing whether alcohol will be allowed in the rooms.

This is where the problem will lie.

lots of different views out there on the numbers, and I always have a huge issue with how the press quotes numbers and calculates rates ...('journalist math' is often bizarre) - but
if you look at decline from the freshman enrollment high water mark of 6,000 in 2015 and the anticipated 4,000 for fall of 2017,
it is a total decline of 2000 from the 2015 figure ... and that would be a 33% decline vs 2015 - and a huge decline - but not 50%

... and if you do the math to look at the year-over-year changes
- it appears that 2016 saw 4,700 freshmen enroll - which was a 1,300 student or 21.6% decline from 2015's 6,000
... and 2017 is projected as a 700 student or 14.9% decline from 2016's 4,700 freshmen enrollment

not seeing how they the get a "50% decline"

Regardless - this has to be a point of serious concern - but the fact that Missouri states that they have not altered their academic admissions standards is a positive - as is the slowing of the % rate of decline ... would guess that many efforts are in process to make sure that the class coming in in the fall of 2018 will be an increase over 2017 - otherwise Missouri has a huge problem

lots of different views out there on the numbers, and I always have a huge issue with how the press quotes numbers and calculates rates ...('journalist math' is often bizarre) - but
if you look at decline from the freshman enrollment high water mark of 6,000 in 2015 and the anticipated 4,000 for fall of 2017,
it is a total decline of 2000 from the 2015 figure ... and that would be a 33% decline vs 2015 - and a huge decline - but not 50%

... and if you do the math to look at the year-over-year changes
- it appears that 2016 saw 4,700 freshmen enroll - which was a 1,300 student or 21.6% decline from 2015's 6,000
... and 2017 is projected as a 700 student or 14.9% decline from 2016's 4,700 freshmen enrollment

not seeing how they the get a "50% decline"

Regardless - this has to be a point of serious concern - but the fact that Missouri states that they have not altered their academic admissions standards is a positive - as is the slowing of the % rate of decline ... would guess that many efforts are in process to make sure that the class coming in in the fall of 2018 will be an increase over 2017 - otherwise Missouri has a huge problem
Agreed. But I am not sure that 2015 was the high water mark. That is just the last enrolling class before the controversy that caused the most recent decline. With a 78% acceptance rate I am not sure standards can be lowered by much. HAHAHA

Kramer had a similar moneymaking idea by renting out closet draws as beds to short foreigners.

Agreed. But I am not sure that 2015 was the high water mark. That is just the last enrolling class before the controversy that caused the most recent decline. With a 78% acceptance rate I am not sure standards can be lowered by much. HAHAHA

"incoming freshmen posting an average ACT score of 25.5." .... not stellar - but it certainly could go lower !

That's what I was just thinking. This has "holy ****ing disaster" written ALL over it lol!

- could rival Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey Park !!

"a furnished, two-bedroom suite with four single beds for $120/night. Internet access, bed sheets and towels are included"
- ... yeah - 4 people in dorm beds ... and 10 on the floor!

"the school is still discussing whether alcohol will be allowed in the rooms"
- ... seriously? these are dorm rooms! has the school ever been able to keep alcohol out of these dorms? ... and consider 23-24-25+ year old alumni will be renting some of the rooms (some spent 4 years drinking in these dorms) and the school is going to try to implement prohibition? HA!

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
- could rival Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey Park !!

"a furnished, two-bedroom suite with four single beds for $120/night. Internet access, bed sheets and towels are included"
- ... yeah - 4 people in dorm beds ... and 10 on the floor!

"the school is still discussing whether alcohol will be allowed in the rooms"
- ... seriously? these are dorm rooms! has the school ever been able to keep alcohol out of these dorms? ... and consider 23-24-25+ year old alumni will be renting some of the rooms (some spent 4 years drinking in these dorms) and the school is going to try to implement prohibition? HA!

well done!

ADVERTISEMENT