ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Genuinely interested - please no politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

keav8447

Sophomore
Jun 24, 2005
Why has there not been a significant spike in COVID hospital admittance/ICU/death in NYC over the last few weeks?

It made perfect sense why NYC was the epicenter at the outset - dense population, subways/mass transit, highrises with elevators....perfect storm.

Now that the city has started to re-open, combined with the large gatherings of protesters in close quarters, I cannot square why there has not been the same type of huge blow up as we have seen in FL & TX.

I have not seen even one news story making that observation or exploring what NYC is possibly doing so right.

I know that social distancing and mask wearing has been much more adhered to in the northeast- I live in Bucks County, PA, right across the river from Mercer Co. and everyone is in full effect following all guidelines, but it still doesn’t square the circle. Young people everywhere want to go to bars & play the get down game (including New York), the protests were rampant in NYC with social distancing and mask wearing not the focus and the demographics of the city haven’t changed from what made it so susceptible in the first place.

Somebody please help me understand without this becoming a red/blue/tool food fight.

Why has there not been a significant spike in COVID hospital admittance/ICU/death in NYC over the last few weeks?

It made perfect sense why NYC was the epicenter at the outset - dense population, subways/mass transit, highrises with elevators....perfect storm.

Now that the city has started to re-open, combined with the large gatherings of protesters in close quarters, I cannot square why there has not been the same type of huge blow up as we have seen in FL & TX.

I have not seen even one news story making that observation or exploring what NYC is possibly doing so right.

I know that social distancing and mask wearing has been much more adhered to in the northeast- I live in Bucks County, PA, right across the river from Mercer Co. and everyone is in full effect following all guidelines, but it still doesn’t square the circle. Young people everywhere want to go to bars & play the get down game (including New York), the protests were rampant in NYC with social distancing and mask wearing not the focus and the demographics of the city haven’t changed from what made it so susceptible in the first place.

Somebody please help me understand without this becoming a red/blue/tool food fight.
NY faced the music and paid the price. Which is happening in the South. Most NE people were exposed in March and April. The old and weak have been killed off or suffered but survived.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

This is a great question. This was made political from day 1 so we won’t know all the answers until after November. I can only surmise we have some herd immunity here that other states did not get earlier. We are testing more so cases are soaring but now deaths are showing an uptick nationwide. I hear a few stories about young and healthy people dying or intubated. Then I also wonder why a country like Russia has not seen the level of deaths we have. So many unknowns globally let alone here in our huge country.

Stay safe. Live life but be smart about it.

To answer the OP the virus was already widespread throughout NYC March 1 we had high death numbers for pneumonia and the flu from this past winter. To think covid wasn't a part of that is foolish at this point. So the spike we started to see in early March was in reality 2-8 weeks behind the initial spread.

Just my opinion. If I'm right there will be more deaths coming in 4 weeks or so. If I'm wrong then this will all be over by Oct 1.

Reactions: beaced and ArminRU
I think the northeast (particularly NYC and NJ) has gotten a lot closer to herd immunity than anyone realized. Couple that with stopping the practice of sending Covid-positive patients back to nursing homes and a large portion of the vulnerable nursing home population already being infected (and in some circumstances, dying) and there's nobody left in the area to have a surge.

Maybe the protests are overemphasized on some channels? When I’m out on the street I look at who has a mask and who doesn’t. I actually count. The average % of people I see wearing masks on streets in JC and NYC is 96%. When i was in NC two weeks ago it was more like 60%. To see how these states stack up in the numbers I’d look less at a protest or a beach party on the news and more at what everyday people are doing every day. My observations are only anecdotal but it would be interesting to see how people are behaving differently in different places.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
The estimates of the likelihood of dying from COVID are currently ranging from about .004 to .01 (not %, proportion). If the .004 is true, and NY has had 32,375 deaths (number from Worldometer), that would suggest that around 8,000,000 NYers have had COVID. Which could be getting close to herd immunity, if such a thing exists with COVID. It's very hard to get a handle on this.

A really good question, though.

Reactions: Plum Street
This is a great question. This was made political from day 1 so we won’t know all the answers until after November. I can only surmise we have some herd immunity here that other states did not get earlier. We are testing more so cases are soaring but now deaths are showing an uptick nationwide. I hear a few stories about young and healthy people dying or intubated. Then I also wonder why a country like Russia has not seen the level of deaths we have. So many unknowns globally let alone here in our huge country.

You believe what the Russian government says lmao?

You believe what the Russian government says lmao?
I work with someone who has family in Russia. But in general no I don’t 100% trust their numbers or many other countries for that matter. I just wonder why smaller, thinner people from Asian countries have less deaths. India has a low death rate too. Is it the curry? Hell if I know but I sure would like to know.

My coworker says people are getting Covid in Russia but not getting very ill from it. We see that here in many places too so there’s not enough to go by. We have counties here in NJ with very few deaths too. I was just making a general observation. Some countries test more than us and have a higher death rate. Some test more and have a lower death rate. Some test way less and have a lower death rate. I’m not some that testing is the answer.

Last edited:
The estimates of the likelihood of dying from COVID are currently ranging from about .004 to .01 (not %, proportion). If the .004 is true, and NY has had 32,375 deaths (number from Worldometer), that would suggest that around 8,000,000 NYers have had COVID. Which could be getting close to herd immunity, if such a thing exists with COVID. It's very hard to get a handle on this.

The better way to estimate is by looking at antibody testing results. NYC is around 20-25%, and as you stretch out to the suburbs it gradually goes down to 5%. Some neighborhoods in NYC are as high as 65% though! Overall though, still a long way from herd immunity.

We are no where near here immunity
A lot of lower rates currently is about wearing masks
Let's see what the next 6 weeks holds

Reactions: Greg2020

To be fair, the Communist nations have done a splendid job in handling the Virus. Russia has some 700.000 cases but only 11,000 deaths. China has fallen to 23rd on the list of total cases and there have been only three deaths in the past month or so. Vietnam had several hundred cases but no deaths, Cuba has had some 2,400 cases but just 86 deaths and North Korea has had no cases. Just that these countries have better health care than they do in the US, Britain, Brazil, Sweden, Germany, etc.

I go to a supermarket in NJ and everyone wears a mask. I read an article when you go into a supermarket in Florida, half the people don’t wear a mask. Very simple.

The NE was trained to wear a mask in April-June. The South is currently being trained to wear a mask in July -August.

I’ll make it political...hehe

if biden wins in Nov, Covid will disappear off the news in a snap...if trump wins we will have Covid until kingdom come...of he’s impeached again or resigns or people just say eff it! :Wink:
If Biden wins and we are still dealing with coronavirus in 2021, Fox News will go on and on about how poorly he is handling coronavirus. If Trump is re-elected, MSNBC will go on and on about how poorly Trump is handling coronavirus. The Democrats and Republicans are two nuts in the same sack.

I go to a supermarket in NJ and everyone wears a mask. I read an article when you go into a supermarket in Florida, half the people don’t wear a mask. Very simple.
agree that’s an issue but why such a long lag for them to get a surge?

The better way to estimate is by looking at antibody testing results. NYC is around 20-25%, and as you stretch out to the suburbs it gradually goes down to 5%. Some neighborhoods in NYC are as high as 65% though! Overall though, still a long way from herd immunity.
Thanks for that. I don't follow those data closely (I live in a strange land with regard to COVID.) But are those actual numbers or estimates based on sampling? The decrease to the burbs would fit a reasonable model given population density. The reason I like the death stats is that they are probably pretty close to reliable, or a slight underestimate.

The NE was trained to wear a mask in April-June. The South is currently being trained to wear a mask in July -August.
If you want me to explain why half the people in Florida don’t wear a mask going to a supermarket then I have to be political.

Thanks for that. I don't follow those data closely (I live in a strange land with regard to COVID.) But are those actual numbers or estimates based on sampling? The decrease to the burbs would fit a reasonable model given population density. The reason I like the death stats is that they are probably pretty close to reliable, or a slight underestimate.

Estimates based on randomized testing in those regions.

If Biden wins and we are still dealing with coronavirus in 2021, Fox News will go on and on about how poorly he is handling coronavirus. If Trump is re-elected, MSNBC will go on and on about how poorly Trump is handling coronavirus. The Democrats and Republicans are two nuts in the same sack.

This

Yep. Unfortunately, the only way this country learns is the hard way. This stupidity will probably cost us our football season.

Link?

Also post the link about the false negative AB tests.

To be fair, the Communist nations have done a splendid job in handling the Virus. Russia has some 700.000 cases but only 11,000 deaths. China has fallen to 23rd on the list of total cases and there have been only three deaths in the past month or so. Vietnam had several hundred cases but no deaths, Cuba has had some 2,400 cases but just 86 deaths and North Korea has had no cases. Just that these countries have better health care than they do in the US, Britain, Brazil, Sweden, Germany, etc.

You almost had me for a minute.

We have that data (I have links to everything I'm about to post, but it's a chore to provide them frequently - I can if you like). Antibody testing in NY done over multiple surveys, with the last one completed on 6/13, showed that 13.4% of 20MM New Yorkers have antibodies, or 2.68MM, a far cry from 8MM and a far cry from the estimated 55-80% herd immunity (unknown, since we don't know the true R0 transmission rate yet, plus it gets complicated by the possibility of "cross-reactivity", as some work has shown that maybe 50% of unexposed people have blood that actually produces a T-cell immune response to COVID in cell cultures, but it's not known if that confers none, a bit or a lot of immunity in the real world), although as per my post last night in the main thread, some neighborhoods in NYC have over 50% with antibodies (and some less than 15%, which makes sense, with the City having 21.6% overall; Corona - yes Corona - Queens has 68%! - and an IFR of about 0.73%). The 30K NY deaths at the time translate to an infection fatality rate of 1.1% in NY, the only state that right now even has an estimated IFR. Most experts believe the "inherent" IFR (if no treatments/cures/vaccines) would eventually drop to 0.5-1.0%, which is what I've been saying for months. However, we're already likely seeing significant death rate decreases due to improved medical procedures and treatments, so the IFR from here on out will likely continue decreasing, which is good.

For the OP, I've covered all of this in the pinned thread (as have others), but there are several reasons why NYC (and NJ too) have not seen spikes: i) we're significantly more infected than the rest of the US, with 22% in NYC with antibodies, so there are less people to infect; ii) the shutdowns and distancing hugely reduced transmissions, resulting in a very low infection % in the population; iii) the slow, controlled reopenings in phases, where very explicit criteria were achieved and where the vast majority of people are practicing masking/distaning during these reopenings (at least in all indoor and most crowded outdoor spaces), has kept the transmission rate very low, although it has crept back up to an R0 near 1.0, which means we could start to see cases increase.

In addition, NYC actually had a pretty high compliance with mask-wearing during the protests and as per the linked paper, most cities seeing protests actually saw a net increase in overall population distancing, so even if there were some increased cases among that population (we don't actually know that), they were outweighed by the impact of distancing by non-protesters, resulting in no net increase in cases. Also, and this is a guess, I imagine that there are some increased cases among young people going on, but far more others are practicing distancing/masking, such that it cancels out any increases among the young (analogous to the protester argument). Let's hope it stays that way.

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408.pdf

Finally, I have to add the hugest driver to your assessment (all of which was spot on) of what led to the NYC outbreak being the worst seen in the world so far - lack of testing. The complete lack of testing through early March and minimal testing through mid-March, when we had, by retrospective analyses, tens of thousands of cases in NYC and simply didn't know it yet. Had we been testing by mid/late February like other countries, we wouldn't have flown blindly into a pandemic. Also add to your list that our area received far more infected travelers from Europe than any other location in the US. Much more on this in the post below. Hope this helps

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ventions-and-more.198855/page-28#post-4631669

I'm wondering if the time from onset to mortality is increasing given better care and heightened awareness (hence more rapid trip to the doctor/hospital). Just a guess, though.
Think I answered (as best I could) these other questions in my reply to your other post - maybe post in the pinned thread, as we could use more analytical, reasoned thinking there...

Reactions: SkilletHead2
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT