ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Genuinely interested - please no politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently this needed a new thread... so.. my guess is that the people in danger are taking it seriously as are those around them. So they are not participating in this "opening" in any significant number. If people are getting covid.. they are handling it like they do the flu every year. And if they have warning symptoms.. they don't wait.. they go get tested and treated early and never reach the point where they will die.

Last edited:
SARS-CoV-2 is an airborne, respiratory virus. Masks keep it in check. NY learned that the hard way after WHO/CDC was telling everyone not to wear masks. Mask wearing in NY is a standard thing now - as are plastic barriers, floor stickers, phone menus etc. - a whole new culture is in place. Malls are gyms are still closed

NYC was having winter when virus hit. The virus likes people densely packed indoors, on buses/trains etc. Out west and down south, the virus (a less lethal version than NYC's ) wasn't accumulating during winter. When summer hit, and people went indoors for AC (and agricultural migrants circulated) - boom. All the "hoax" talk convinced people outside eastern states that nothing would happen to them. The eastern states made that worse with the overkill. Its like being stuck between dumb and dumber

Reactions: Jm0513
Why has there not been a significant spike in COVID hospital admittance/ICU/death in NYC over the last few weeks?

It made perfect sense why NYC was the epicenter at the outset - dense population, subways/mass transit, highrises with elevators....perfect storm.

Now that the city has started to re-open, combined with the large gatherings of protesters in close quarters, I cannot square why there has not been the same type of huge blow up as we have seen in FL & TX.

I have not seen even one news story making that observation or exploring what NYC is possibly doing so right.

I know that social distancing and mask wearing has been much more adhered to in the northeast- I live in Bucks County, PA, right across the river from Mercer Co. and everyone is in full effect following all guidelines, but it still doesn’t square the circle. Young people everywhere want to go to bars & play the get down game (including New York), the protests were rampant in NYC with social distancing and mask wearing not the focus and the demographics of the city haven’t changed from what made it so susceptible in the first place.

Somebody please help me understand without this becoming a red/blue/tool food fight.

i don't live in NYC, are people seeing lots of people over 60 yrs old at these mass gatherings?

I think the northeast (particularly NYC and NJ) has gotten a lot closer to herd immunity than anyone realized. Couple that with stopping the practice of sending Covid-positive patients back to nursing homes and a large portion of the vulnerable nursing home population already being infected (and in some circumstances, dying) and there's nobody left in the area to have a surge.
This^^^^^. Recently I went to my dentist. Before I went, I had to fill out a covid questionnaire. When I was filling out the questionnaire it made me think I possibly had covid in late feb/early March. Back in late/February early March there was a two-three week period where I felt tired and rundown even though I was sleeping well. The reason I think I may have had covid is I definitely remember losing my sense of smell/taste which was not accompanied by any post nasal drip or congestion. I was really annoyed by it and thought it was due to aging. Anyhow the dental covid questionnaire asked if I had any loss of taste or smell in past and then my past experience came back to me. I am going to get the antibody test sometime soon and will report the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT