ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ghost Camp's New Album (son's band)

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
This is way OT, so feel free to ignore, but there were some folks who seemed interested last time I posted about our son's band, Ghost Camp. They've been together for about 3 years and are now veterans of the DIY scene, which largely consists of "basement shows" in mostly college towns, like NB (where they're very popular), although they've also played the Court Tavern a few times, the Wonder Bar in AP and the Cake Shop in NYC and a few places in Brooklyn. They just released their 2nd self-made album (recorded in a studio in Clifton), "Great Lakes," and are getting airplay locally on WRSU and the CORE and some other college radio stations in the northeast. Our son is the drummer, but since we get to hear most of their practicing in our basement and "constructing" of new songs, they all do seem to collaborate on the songwriting, which is pretty cool (some pretty heated discussions, at times, as you might expect, but they do seem to be good friends). The rest of the band is from Metuchen or New Brunswick.

So, if you like alt/indie rock, give them a listen and if you feel like it, weigh in with what you think (even if you think it sucks, as I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea - I really like most of it, but I'm sure I'm a bit biased). I compare their music to bands like New Order and the Strokes - not saying it's that good, just saying it bears some resemblance to those bands. My favorite song on the new album is Heaven's Gate and I'm also a fan of Ganymede and Kickball Katie. My other favorite song of theirs is Soft Eyes from their first album. Below is a link to their Bandcamp page, where you can stream their new album (and older stuff) and download their songs (for free if you want - they don't really seem to care). They also just received a nice write-up from a UK indie rock blogger. Now, if only Pitchfork would say the same, lol - still quite a long way from where they are to any "success," but at least they're working hard and having some fun, too. I like this part of the description:

Their sound is an interesting one, with slick pop melodies, weird dreamy vibes and frayed punky edges combining into a keyed-up and jittery New Wave style – something the band themselves describe as “witch-punk”. The four-piece have recently released their second full-length and, just like the cover art, it’s a gem.

‘Clean Air’ opens proceedings with a joyously messy indie pop song, David Pressler’s vocals juxtaposing the dynamic instrumentation. ‘Heaven’s Gates’ is another pop jewel, practically demanding frantic toe-tapping at the very least, with lyrics possessing a lovably odd quality…

http://www.wakethedeaf.co.uk/2016/07/14/ghost-camp-great-lakes/

Nothing? Expected all kinds of things, but not nothing. Figured I'd bump it once, just to see if any feedback...

Clean Air is OK, but there is no hook to the song. Also, the mix seems off--drums are too up front in the mix, and you can barely hear the decent guitar and the singer.
Heaven's Gates and Sadie are better songs IMO if you are trying to promote the band. Heaven's Gates has the same mixing issue of the drums being too far up in the mix and the singer be lost in the mix. The singer is just OK, and the rest of the band seems solid. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, as opinions on art/music are very subjective.

I'm personal friends with a guy who is one of the best engineers / mixers in the business. He's worked with all of the old talent that came out of Sayreville in the metal days (and that list is very long).

Back in the day it seemed like running a board was almost a requirement for graduation. We could all do it.

thought it was pretty good actually. Unique sound, not sure I agree about the mix being off. I mean it's not the most polished sound, but I find when it's too polished it loses it's energy and soul. I found it interesting they are releasing it on cassette limited to 100. I ran a record label in college, this would have been right up our alley. Actually the label is still going strong 20+ years later, I bowed out for a real job. It's pretty easy to press a vinyl record and has the cool factor, as vinyl are surging the last few years. They should look into doing that, imo.

I think they sound good. I also disagree with Knight Shift about the mix but everybody hears things differently. I do agree with him about the singer, he is not bad but seems to me his voice has a limited range. How old is your son?

Cool, good for him. Just listened to Heaven's Gate (thanks for posting directly). I like it. Will check out the rest when I have more time.

I see what Knight Shift is saying with that track. Singer feels lost and overtaken by the instruments.

Only other criticism is if you're going to pitch your son's band, especially here, tighten the pitch and make it sell : ) I almost turned back around when I saw that multi-paragraph OP.

Given who you are, maybe something like "This is my son's band. They make fkn thunder snow in the badlands. Listen."

What someone said earlier about a missing "hook"..

Lester from "Vinyl" has a lesson for the band...

(BTW-you know I dig this kind of stuff and RU#s taste in music)

Very talented! You should be proud.

Music is a such an objective, personal thing. I hope they keep going for it and following their passion.

Reactions: RU848789
I'm personal friends with a guy who is one of the best engineers / mixers in the business. He's worked with all of the old talent that came out of Sayreville in the metal days (and that list is very long).

Back in the day it seemed like running a board was almost a requirement for graduation. We could all do it.

Similar here - have a former roommate/friend who used to do the sound at the Court and other area venues back in the day and then "graduated" to being a sound guy/engineer for all kinds of recordings and bigger venues. Kind of lost touch with him over the last few years, but was always fun to watch him work. My skills are pretty rudimentary, lol - was just looking at mixing boards today, as I want to be able to have the same mix going in three different locations (2 inside and one outside in case anyone braves the heat, lol) for a party tomorrow - I have a way to do it, but I know it can be done better...

Clean Air is OK, but there is no hook to the song. Also, the mix seems off--drums are too up front in the mix, and you can barely hear the decent guitar and the singer.
Heaven's Gates and Sadie are better songs IMO if you are trying to promote the band. Heaven's Gates has the same mixing issue of the drums being too far up in the mix and the singer be lost in the mix. The singer is just OK, and the rest of the band seems solid. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, as opinions on art/music are very subjective.

thought it was pretty good actually. Unique sound, not sure I agree about the mix being off. I mean it's not the most polished sound, but I find when it's too polished it loses it's energy and soul. I found it interesting they are releasing it on cassette limited to 100. I ran a record label in college, this would have been right up our alley. Actually the label is still going strong 20+ years later, I bowed out for a real job. It's pretty easy to press a vinyl record and has the cool factor, as vinyl are surging the last few years. They should look into doing that, imo.

I think they sound good. I also disagree with Knight Shift about the mix but everybody hears things differently. I do agree with him about the singer, he is not bad but seems to me his voice has a limited range. How old is your son?

I dig it

good stuff

Cool, good for him. Just listened to Heaven's Gate (thanks for posting directly). I like it. Will check out the rest when I have more time.

I see what Knight Shift is saying with that track. Singer feels lost and overtaken by the instruments.

Only other criticism is if you're going to pitch your son's band, especially here, tighten the pitch and make it sell : ) I almost turned back around when I saw that multi-paragraph OP.

Given who you are, maybe something like "This is my son's band. They make fkn thunder snow in the badlands. Listen."

Hey, thanks for listening and for the comments, good, bad or indifferent. Seriously. People usually get better at things with honest feedback. I agree the mix could be better on some songs - I get to hear them "live" in the basement and the tracks don't always capture the energy they bring to a live show.

I also agree the singer has a limited range (he knows it), but I do think it works with the atmospheric/dreamy vibe they often work in. Interesting to see some others agree with me that Heaven's Gate is one of the top songs.

The band is doing some touring to several places in the DC-Boston corridor this summer and even a couple of shows in Indiana and VA. Getting regular airplay on WRSU and the Core is definitely helping, as they're a pretty big draw in NB, at least. It's really hard to make a couple of big leaps from DIY to any commercial success (even at the indie level, like SiriusXMU, let alone "big" success, which is very unlikely for their style), but they're at least having fun and getting gas, food, and beer money when they go on the road. And chicks. If they play somewhere "above ground" I'll post a link.

Hey, thanks for listening and for the comments, good, bad or indifferent. Seriously. People usually get better at things with honest feedback. I agree the mix could be better on some songs - I get to hear them "live" in the basement and the tracks don't always capture the energy they bring to a live show.

I also agree the singer has a limited range (he knows it), but I do think it works with the atmospheric/dreamy vibe they often work in. Interesting to see some others agree with me that Heaven's Gate is one of the top songs.

The band is doing some touring to several places in the DC-Boston corridor this summer and even a couple of shows in Indiana and VA. Getting regular airplay on WRSU and the Core is definitely helping, as they're a pretty big draw in NB, at least. It's really hard to make a couple of big leaps from DIY to any commercial success (even at the indie level, like SiriusXMU, let alone "big" success, which is very unlikely for their style), but they're at least having fun and getting gas, food, and beer money when they go on the road. And chicks. If they play somewhere "above ground" I'll post a link.
I think you said you are connected to Matt Pinfield. Don't know if he is connected with the ALTROK 90.5 HD2 which is out of Brookdale Community College, but I would try to get airplay on that station. That's where I first heard Car Seat Headrest and a bunch of other bands that were introduced to me like Santigold and The Quiet Hollers. ALTROK is basically like the old WHTG 106.3 that Matt had a big hand in getting recognized in the early days.

It's nice to see DIY rock is still alive and well. And don't take my words to heart. As I said, judging music is very subjective.

That song Sadie reminds me of the song Reptile by the Australian Band The Church.

I think you said you are connected to Matt Pinfield. Don't know if he is connected with the ALTROK 90.5 HD2 which is out of Brookdale Community College, but I would try to get airplay on that station. That's where I first heard Car Seat Headrest and a bunch of other bands that were introduced to me like Santigold and The Quiet Hollers. ALTROK is basically like the old WHTG 106.3 that Matt had a big hand in getting recognized in the early days.

It's nice to see DIY rock is still alive and well. And don't take my words to heart. As I said, judging music is very subjective.

That song Sadie reminds me of the song Reptile by the Australian Band The Church.

I know the creator and musical driving force behind ALTROK quite well - it's Sean Carolan, who also happens to be a former Melody DJ and is one of the "Melody Reunion" DJs. Pretty sure it's getting some airplay there.

One of the other former Melody and current Melody Reunion DJs, Lisa Uber, who hosts "Machine Age Voodoo (Wednesdays 6-8 pm)" on WRSU, also happens to be music director at WRSU and has added them to their artist playlist (very loose there - not like a commercial station, where there's little choice in music for the DJs) - her comment was she gets a ton of requests to play new bands and only selects a few and wouldn't do that just because we're friends (more like acquaintances really). Ed Wong, another Melody Reunion DJ and host of the best music show on the planet, IMO, on WRSU Saturdays 10 am-2 pm (he plays almost anything, but somehow synthesizes it into a great show) has also been playing them.

And I'm waiting to hear what Matt Pinfield has to say - I sent him the relevant links, but he's notorious for not getting back to people (he's also a very busy guy). ALTROK and WRSU are nice, but they won't move the needle much. If Matt played them on his new alt-indie show weekday mornings on KFOG in SF, that would be a game changer. Odds are pretty low on that, though, given that I'm sure he's much more restricted in what he can play and frankly, I'm not sure the band is "polished" enough for them. But you never know, I guess...

Last edited:
My son is 24 and plays in a band also (keyboards or bass). They played at a Stone Pony Sunday afternoon band showcase last April but since they are from north Jersey were not able to bring much of a following with them. He doesn't plan on quitting his day job anytime soon (big 4 accounting firm).

Here is a link some cuts on their EP if anyone would like to check it out and provide some feedback:
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/theemptyframe

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT