ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Giants, Jets are dragging down TV ratings league-wide

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Sports Illustrated reports “the NFL’s biggest ratings issue is that the Jets and Giants stink and people in New York don’t want to watch those games. It doesn’t help the league when two of the worst teams in the league are in the top television market.”

NYC DMA is a market with so many other allegiances and bandwagon jumpers....aren't there enough Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots, etc. fans to make up for some of the Jets and Giants fan attrition?
Seriously?

Lol yeah it's because the New York teams stink. They have never stunk before this season.

No way it could be that players are kneeling for the national anthem, insisting on a national anthem specifically for black people and lecturing their audience on politics whenever they have a chance.

Definitely can't be the politics. Must be the stinkin Jets.

There's no way it was a single thing.

The teams stink
They were playing at the same time
Some people are very tired of the political statements at a sporting event. I'll bet the pregame ratings dropped even more than the games.
It was a BEAUTIFUL Sunday afternoon to get out of the house (which I did, taking a short hike on the Palisades after the Giants game, but I've been a fan since YA)

You can argue about the %, but it wasn't 1 single thing.

Politics and sports are a bad mix. Sports are an escape. It’s a take it or leave it deal.

Jason Whitlock has written that if the NFL allows players to demonstrate during the anthem it could cost them up to 30% of their fan base.

Of course, Covid has made most people now desperate for live sports. That helps the current NFL tv ratings imo. Shows how truly awful the N.Y. teams are at this point that their ratings are down.

Interesting that many teams have stayed in the locker room during the anthem. That probably helps tv ratings as well.

Last edited:
On the regional front, NFL games averaged 13.5 million viewers in Week 1, up 6% from last year (12.7 million) and most watched opening since 2016. Cohen said the viewership numbers proves the ”[NFL] is still the lion of the jungle” despite the league’s now supportive stance on social injustice issues.

All of you idiots thinking it's the league's demise continue to fail at statistics. It was probably more likely due to both teams playing at the same time.

On the regional front, NFL games averaged 13.5 million viewers in Week 1, up 6% from last year (12.7 million) and most watched opening since 2016. Cohen said the viewership numbers proves the ”[NFL] is still the lion of the jungle” despite the league’s now supportive stance on social injustice issues.

All of you idiots thinking it's the league's demise continue to fail at statistics. It was probably more likely due to both teams playing at the same time.
How many people really watch both the giants and the Jets on a week in, week out basis?

NFL ratings across the country are tanking

Reactions: scripts
Not necessarily. Monday night ratings were pretty high and they were up against NBA
People still watch the NBA?

Of course TV ratings for NFL are doing ok in the middle of a pandemic where no fans can go to games. Doesn't mean the NFL hasn't lost a lot of fans. The owners will notice when the stadiums open back up next season.

People still watch the NBA?

Of course TV ratings for NFL are doing ok in the middle of a pandemic where no fans can go to games. Doesn't mean the NFL hasn't lost a lot of fans. The owners will notice when the stadiums open back up next season.
That remains to be seen, but I was just calling out a poster who was straight making shit up with facts.

Reactions: redking
There's no way it was a single thing.

The teams stink
They were playing at the same time
Some people are very tired of the political statements at a sporting event. I'll bet the pregame ratings dropped even more than the games.
It was a BEAUTIFUL Sunday afternoon to get out of the house (which I did, taking a short hike on the Palisades after the Giants game, but I've been a fan since YA)

You can argue about the %, but it wasn't 1 single thing.
Good post- it never is one thing. Personally, I have a hard time wanting to stay inside and watch all the games when it's this nice outside. I know the crappy weather is coming, so I want to take advantage of this as long as I can. I get out, hike somewhere and still get back to catch some of the 4:25 game, which is usually a better match-up anyway.

Here are the actual numbers for weeks 1 and 2. I haven't done any analysis, but it does look like there's a lot of red (i.e., declines from last year) in here:

Reactions: bac2therac
Also, With draconian lockdowns, including bars closed or at limited capacity, so many less people are watching. FACT

Who goes to a bar on a Sunday afternoon to do something other than watch football? If the bars are closed, then they are still watching football -- just somewhere else.

Reactions: Greg2020
Sports Illustrated reports “the NFL’s biggest ratings issue is that the Jets and Giants stink and people in New York don’t want to watch those games. It doesn’t help the league when two of the worst teams in the league are in the top television market.”

It's not the quality of play.

ADVERTISEMENT