ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Giants, Jets are dragging down TV ratings league-wide

Who goes to a bar on a Sunday afternoon to do something other than watch football? If the bars are closed, then they are still watching football -- just somewhere else.

Not if they dont have cable/TV at home.

I would assume a bunch of "younger" people without tv/cable rely on bars to watch football.

No idea if that is a sizable number though.

People still watch the NBA?

Of course TV ratings for NFL are doing ok in the middle of a pandemic where no fans can go to games. Doesn't mean the NFL hasn't lost a lot of fans. The owners will notice when the stadiums open back up next season.

The NBA? seriously only kids watch the NBA and they stream it.

I thought Covid would drive people to their TVs to watch sports, etc. I actually think that it’s taught people they really don’t need sports after all. With that said, the political/social justice elements are influencing viewership.

Reactions: goru1869
But...as a lifelong Jets fan of this in some way makes the team pull their head out of their asses and begin to run like a professional organization with a plan to become competitive- I’ll take it.

• Wow
Reactions: scripts
Hard Apple Cider is my new beverage West of West Point in Apple Country,
A new place that makes hard cider just opened up on Rt.206 in Bedminster called Burnt Mills Cider Company. They are doing very well . They had a fund raiser there a few weekends ago for the Pottersville FD and did very well pulling people in. They also get food trucks there including a Maine lobster truck.

At some point, every single thread on this board became a Rorschach Test.

It was when the leagues agreed with the players that fans would not be allowed to utilize sports as an escape from politics. The attitude was, "You will be made to care." Now fans care and *gasp* some of them disagree and are mad about it.

Every single person I know who stopped watching the NFL has done it because of the protesting and not because of the fact their favorite team stinks.

Weird.
I don’t know anyone who has stopped watching football, or any sports for that matter, for any reason at all.

Also, when my friends and I talk about football - “protesting” hasn’t come up once (positive or negative).

Unless you are actively looking for it, it’s very easy to not notice.

It was when the leagues agreed with the players that fans would not be allowed to utilize sports as an escape from politics. The attitude was, "You will be made to care." Now fans care and *gasp* some of them disagree and are mad about it.

I have not been “made to care” and I’ve probably watched more bubble-NBA than anyone else on this board.

The only one who can make you care about something is yourself.
You’re making a choice to care - positively or negatively.

Weird.
I don’t know anyone who has stopped watching football, or any sports for that matter, for any reason at all.

Also, when my friends and I talk about football - “protesting” hasn’t come up once (positive or negative).

When I talk football with my fr
Weird.

Agree with your last two paragraphs. and your first paragraph..ok. I know many people who’ve stopped watching.

They stopped watching cause of protests, that’s a fact.

Our wonderful NFL leader has armed security that travel with him everywhere.

Just in case you were worried about Roger....

I have not been “made to care” and I’ve probably watched more bubble-NBA than anyone else on this board.

The only one who can make you care about something is yourself.
You’re making a choice to care - positively or negatively.

Agree I couldnt care less what the players believe

I do feel as a fan of the NFL that they’re hurting the sport by doing what they’re doing because if you ask 10 people who stopped watching why they stopped and I guarantee 8 say b/c of the protests

Reactions: BigWill
Agree I couldnt care less what the players believe

I do feel as a fan of the NFL that they’re hurting the sport by doing what they’re doing because if you ask 10 people who stopped watching why they stopped and I guarantee 8 say b/c of the protests
proof?

Reactions: fsg2
cant really prove a hypothetical. But as i posted a few posts above EVERYONE I know who stopped watching had the same reason for stopping. And it wasn’t because of a teams record
No one I know stopped watching due to that reason. So does 8 out of 10 become 4 out of 10?

I still watch but don't tune into pregame any longer. I find out when official kickoff time is and tune in 5 to 10 minutes after that. Usually by then the political talk and nonsense is over and they start talking real football.

Watch less, or not at all. Kids are home 24/7, work some of them much more busy than usual, etc.

I’m only talking about the people who are not watching at all who’ve done so in the past. Not those watching less. Plenty of reasons people watch less. Myself included.

I’m only talking about the people who are not watching at all who’ve done so in the past. Not those watching less. Plenty of reasons people watch less. Myself included.
Watching less contributes to lower ratings.

Watching less contributes to lower ratings.

Not sure how ratings are calculated but viewership numbers don’t take into account watching more or less. Viewership numbers are idown..meaning more people are not watching “at all” on Sundays.

cant really prove a hypothetical. But as i posted a few posts above EVERYONE I know who stopped watching had the same reason for stopping. And it wasn’t because of a teams record

You could go ask 10 people.

Better yet, make it an even 100 to be safe.

Reactions: Greg2020
Are you sure that wasn't just an ink blot.

Reactions: Greg2020
Not sure how ratings are calculated but viewership numbers don’t take into account watching more or less. Viewership numbers are idown..meaning more people are not watching “at all” on Sundays.
That's incorrect. If someone used to watch 4 games a week and now watches 1 or 2 those other 2 games now have fewer viewers, and viewership would be down.

ADVERTISEMENT