ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gold Cup

WhichReligionIsRight

Hall of Famer
Oct 19, 2010
Davis, CA
So it has come down to USA versus Mexico once again. Two crazy games - both full CONCACAF (especially the bananas Mexico-Canada match).

First: USA-Qatar.

Here's an analysis of the USA successfully disrupting the PK attempt. Obvious and total BS, but I feel like these kinds of tactics have been used against the USA forever, so good for learning the lessons well.

Then, the USA goal with some incredible work by Nicholas Gioacchini (plays for Caen in Ligue 2), including the no-look pass that led to the goal.

Also, some amazing saves last night from the US keeper, Matt Turner (and throughout the entire tourney). Turner has to be in the conversation as the #1 USA GK.

Last edited:
In the other match, Canada got fully CONCACAF-ed last night. Two rather sketchy PKs were bad enough. However, Mexico scored the winner in the 9th minute of 7 minutes added time after the ref delayed the game because of homophobic chants from the Mexico fans.

There were numerous scuffles during the match, including a couple of chokeholds by the Mexicans that didn't get carded or even reviewed. Complete garbage - these are straight up auto red cards.

Overall, a thoroughly exciting match. Canada is vastly improved and is no pushover.

Last edited:
i'm a huge footy fan. like, binge watching footy fan. i couldn't give two shits about the gold cup this year. running out a C team roster means nothing. very few of these guys are going to be part of a WC squad.

i'm a huge footy fan. like, binge watching footy fan. i couldn't give two shits about the gold cup this year. running out a C team roster means nothing. very few of these guys are going to be part of a WC squad.
That's interesting because I have almost a total opposite feeling. I love that Berhalter took a bunch of younger guys to the Gold Cup and challenged them to compete for the cup as well as audition for the chance to make the main squad for WC qualifying later this year. Getting these guys meaningful time against our regional foes will pay dividends down the line IMO. Even if we end up losing in the final to Mexico (not a guarantee by any stretch), these guys will have played six matches that count.

My immediate reaction is to totally disrespect this post, but my second thought is that CONCACAF is so stupid for having the Gold Cup every two years (all other confederations play every four years). Over a four year World Cup cycle, the USA typically uses it's A team for one Gold Cup and the B team for the other.

If history is an indicator, about a half-dozen players will be on the WC roster (assuming we make the WC).

I'll leave this with a suggestion that you're not much of a USA soccer fan. I'm totally into this tournament. There are a lot of young up and coming players. The USA talent pool is improving rapidly. So much more player development occurring now compared to prior decades.

My immediate reaction is to totally disrespect this post, but my second thought is that CONCACAF is so stupid for having the Gold Cup every two years (all other confederations play every four years). Over a four year World Cup cycle, the USA typically uses it's A team for one Gold Cup and the B team for the other.

If history is an indicator, about a half-dozen players will be on the WC roster (assuming we make the WC).

I'll leave this with a suggestion that you're not much of a USA soccer fan. I'm totally into this tournament. There are a lot of young up and coming players. The USA talent pool is improving rapidly. So much more player development occurring now compared to prior decades.
Yes to the first point about it being too often.

I am a fan of putting our best team on the field. Not having any of our players who play for European clubs makes this pointless to me. So much of international competition is dependent on how quickly and how well the players gel that I don't see how this tournament has any relevance to our WC qualifying efforts without those top guys

Not as much as you think.

Watching the USA even in this tourney is super important. Lots of development going on and some of these guys WILL be on the WC qualifying roster and some might have a big impact on it.

Who, aside from the usual suspects (Arriola, Cannon, Acosta, Zardes, lletget, and Roldan) are going to be in the running for the WC? I've seen enough of them to know what we've got there.

I don't think turner has a shot of actually playing.

You might be right about Dike. I'm not enamored with Sargeant or Zardes.

Hoppe...dunno. would have to beat out Zardes, Dike, and Sargeant. Will depend on his PT at Schalke.

Robinson has a pile of guys in front of him.

I don't think turner has a shot of actually playing.

You might be right about Dike. I'm not enamored with Sargeant or Zardes.

Hoppe...dunno. would have to beat out Zardes, Dike, and Sargeant. Will depend on his PT at Schalke.

Robinson has a pile of guys in front of him.

I think Turner does. Steffen hasn't looked so great and doesn't get regular playing time which he needs. It's amazing he's at City but not sure if helping or hurting his development.

Dike would be a 2nd or 3rd striker. Ideally Aaronson or Hoppe really take off.

Hoppe will be making a move it seems. Everton and Arsenal are pushing for him. Striker is up for grabs so that's why it's important for all these guys.

He does but he's been really good and the back line is a mess. I don't know what to make of it.

In addition to the names above, guys like Busio are getting valuable experience even if they won't be ready for WC qualifying later this year. Moore has looked good too.

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgHoops
In the other match, Canada got fully CONCACAF-ed last night. Two rather sketchy PKs were bad enough. However, Mexico scored the winner in the 9th minute of 7 minutes added time after the ref delayed the game because of homophobic chants from the Mexico fans.

There were numerous scuffles during the match, including a couple of chokeholds by the Mexicans that didn't get carded or even reviewed. Complete garbage - these are straight up auto red cards.

Overall, a thoroughly exciting match. Canada is vastly improved and is no pushover.

The Mexican team and their fans are trash.

I think Turner does. Steffen hasn't looked so great and doesn't get regular playing time which he needs. It's amazing he's at City but not sure if helping or hurting his development.

Dike would be a 2nd or 3rd striker. Ideally Aaronson or Hoppe really take off.

Hoppe will be making a move it seems. Everton and Arsenal are pushing for him. Striker is up for grabs so that's why it's important for all these guys.

He does but he's been really good and the back line is a mess. I don't know what to make of it.
If Hoppe moves to either arsenal or Everton, he's not getting anything but early round domestic cup minutes. He would be better off trying to manufacture a move to a middle or bottom of the table Bundesliga side where he can be guaranteed a good number of minutes.

Who, aside from the usual suspects (Arriola, Cannon, Acosta, Zardes, lletget, and Roldan) are going to be in the running for the WC? I've seen enough of them to know what we've got there.

Turner, Hoppe (Shalke), Cannon (Boavista), Zimmerman (though he got hurt). I also like Miles Robinson. He's been a solid centerback this tournament. Dike has not helped his cause, but the USA is thin at forward.

Turner, Hoppe (Shalke), Cannon (Boavista), Zimmerman (though he got hurt). I also like Miles Robinson. He's been a solid centerback this tournament. Dike has not helped his cause, but the USA is thin at forward.
It was also pivotal for us to get a long look at Shaq Moore, Vines and Sands.

all three have acquitted themselves pretty well. The USA needs to find outside defenders who can wrap and really pressure the other teams defenses. We’ve been flirting with a revolving door for 10 years there.

I like Sands a lot. He’s that hybrid central defender holding midfielder that starts an offense. Can he develop fast enough and can his body hold up to the pounding are two key questions, but I like him better than Miazga.

Robinson has been very good. He’s a keeper for the WC Team.

I still have pretty big reservations about Kellen Acosta. He is incredibly inconsistent. World beater one moment and falls asleep for whole games. Just don’t know what you’re going to get.

We’d all love Dike to be the target striker we’ve been longing for. And he shows some moments of magic. Not sure how serious his injury is but he has been disappointing in this tourney.

Turner has been tremendous. I think he winds up as our #1 keeper. He’s brimming with confidence right now and is the shot stopper we need.

Hoppe is a gamer with a chip on his shoulder. He makes things happen. I have a feeling he works his way into the WC team as a spark off the bench.

Last edited:
I would prefer to see Weah at the #9 over all the other options we have there. But berhalter doesn't seem to want to do that.

You have to realize that instead of the usual Hexagonal, we have the Octagonal, which means 3 games per qualifying window. That means more attrition & a need for more players. So there is a definite need to blood more players. We basically know what we have with our top players but need to know what we can get from second & third line options, plus a lot of the Euro-based players not on the roster were excused so that they can get a good preseason with their clubs & get PT. Quite a few are in transition (ie new clubs or managers) and need to start their season on the right foot.

My biggest worry is Berhalter. Wish we had a better coach. Props for player development but don't think he gets the best out of what seems to be our Golden Generation.

So it has come down to USA versus Mexico once again. Two crazy games - both full CONCACAF (especially the bananas Mexico-Canada match).

First: USA-Qatar.

Here's an analysis of the USA successfully disrupting the PK attempt. Obvious and total BS, but I feel like these kinds of tactics have been used against the USA forever, so good for learning the lessons well.

Then, the USA goal with some incredible work by Nicholas Gioacchini (plays for Caen in Ligue 2), including the no-look pass that led to the goal.

Also, some amazing saves last night from the US keeper, Matt Turner (and throughout the entire tourney). Turner has to be in the conversation as the #1 USA GK.
Turner is excellent, but I can't see him moving past Zack Steffen or even past the hero of the Mexico match, Ethan Horvath at this point. Steffen's speed off the line is amazing

Reactions: RutgHoops
Query, do the Mexican fans purchase the tickets through the "box office" or do they have to go through scalpers?

Acosta was outstanding tonight. Zardes and Hoppe were dangerous. Robinson, wow. Some of these guys will definitely factor in the octagonal.

Reactions: SirScarlet
This is the kind of team and game that turn soccer mehs into soccer fans. Amazing!! Gutsy game plan by Bertzholder.

Not a soccer fan and didn't really follow this at all but I do know Mexico is currently in the semis in the Olympics.. so what Mexican team did we play? and was there some rule that the real National teams for the countries not participating in the Olympics like the US could not play?

Not a soccer fan and didn't really follow this at all but I do know Mexico is currently in the semis in the Olympics.. so what Mexican team did we play? and was there some rule that the real National teams for the countries not participating in the Olympics like the US could not play?
The men’s Olympic tourney is for players 23 and under...each team is allowed three exceptions, but it’s basically a youth tournament (and hence why many don’t take it too seriously).

We prioritized the Nation’s League games for our “A” squad this summer. No reason to burn them out after a difficult year, and with a very busy Fall ahead.

Turner is excellent, but I can't see him moving past Zack Steffen or even past the hero of the Mexico match, Ethan Horvath at this point. Steffen's speed off the line is amazing
If Horvath doesn’t win the starting job at Nottingham Forest, then I’d be surprised if he didn’t get overtaken by Turner. I could definitely see Turner starting qualifiers for us if he’s the only one of the three playing every week.

Reactions: SirScarlet
ADVERTISEMENT