ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Good locksmith near Glen Rock?

RULoyal

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
Need to have the deadbolts and doorknobs replaced on 3 doors in an apartment.

I am not handy at all, but even I could do that. You should never call a locksmith unless you lock yourself out of your house. That is like calling a plumper to change a shower head.

If you are completely helpless, Loews can do it for you for a price. But it is super easy. At least try it 1st.

If you have not done it then pay for it since it will save you time and money.
I don't think you need a locksmith since this is an install.

Locksmiths are needed if you are trying to make compatible keys.

Put an ad in Craigslist. I think this should not cost you more than $125 to $150..

I am not handy at all, but even I could do that. You should never call a locksmith unless you lock yourself out of your house. That is like calling a plumper to change a shower head.

If you are completely helpless, Loews can do it for you for a price. But it is super easy. At least try it 1st.
What about a light bulb. I'm polish and have trouble getting a bunch of friends to come over all the time to turn the latter. Can Lowe's help me out with this as well.

Reactions: Jm0513
Thanks all for your recommendations too. It's awesome to find your answer on the forum. I had a sad story about how I found myself completely hopless when I couldn't open the door and I call the locksmith. At that time I realised I want to become one, and searching on Google, visit site, I have recognised myself that it could be for me a part-time job. Because of insomnia I had enough time and desire to unlock the doors..lol..it sounds weird .

Last edited:

Are you body shaming overweight plumbers? :flush:

Thanks. And to all the other helpful folks - I have changed more than a few locks in my home, it's not always straightforward, this is not my apartment and I'm not paying for it.
In that case, kick in the all the doors damaging them and get a new doors too :Sly:
Maybe break a few windows while you're at it..:Hammer Nails:
But whoever you plan to hire for job check the BBB before hiring to see if complaints been filed and unresolved.You might not be paying, but should want a good job done if you're the one hiring locksmith.

you did say APARTMENT, right?

you best check your lease or check with landlord on what you need to do to satisfy them with changing the locks.

Thanks. It was an apartment my daughter was moving into. Very old solid wood doors. And the landlord was paying. He just asked that we arrange it.

And it was 3 years ago!
Sometimes things that seem easy turn into something difficult. We had a door installed and the deadbolt latch and catch for the door knob were misaligned. Should not have been that way. Was not going to get the installer back to fix it.
Would bet the locksmith will do things like use reinforcement plates and longer screws for added security.

Thanks. And to all the other helpful folks - I have changed more than a few locks in my home, it's not always straightforward, this is not my apartment and I'm not paying for it.
I just replace one 2 months ago and it’s not straightforward. I had to carve some of the wood out to have the deadlock fit and lineup. Almost called another relative or thinking of calling a locksmith before I got it to work.

Mate, nowadays is hard to find a good locksmith, I know it from my own experience. I worked as a locksmith for 25 years and I can tell that I know well this industry and there are just a few good guys that really know their job. You can try to check your local locksmith those in small cities can be better professionals. Hope you will find my message useful and you will a good locksmith. By the way, you can try and fix that lock by yourself, who knows.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT