ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Greatest athlete ever?

Brock Lesnar is also one to consider. 2-time NCAA heavyweight wrestling champion, dominant as hell UFC Champion before diverticulitis, and even though pro wrestling is choreographed, you can see his absolutely insane athleticism given his sheer power, explosion, speed, leaping ability, and agility throughout his career at his size. The guy also tried NFL and was unblockable throughout practice and preseason despite having almost no experience in the sport (he chose not to continue pursuing since the Vikings wanted to send him to NFL Europe for some seasoning before signing him to a full contract). His combine numbers were 4.7 40, 35 in vertical, 10ft standing long jump, 30 reps of 225lbs at 280+ lbs. so he had freak numbers.

For some reason an article about Wilt Chamberlain popped up on my computer today and beside his record with the ladies he has to be considered one of the worlds greatest athletes. I was unaware of how good he was in track and field. After he retired from basketball he became a star in volleyball and is in the volleyball hall of fame.

He was the Big 8 high jump champ 3 years in a row and claims in college to have run a 4.4 forty. It was hand timed. He has an official 40 time of 4.6 which was run when he was 50 pounds heavier than his college years. He also was a shot putter and threw in the 56 foot range.

He lifted weights with Arnold and Arnold says he saw him bench 500 pounds. With arms that long that is unreal.

I will paste the track times he ran later.
There is a story that he and Jim Brown raced and Wilt beat him twice.

• 4.6 40 (hand-timed by KC Chiefs coach Hank Stram, Wilt ran it barefooted, 290lbs at the time)
Note, all of the below times were taken when Wilt was between the ages of 16 and 18:

• 10.0 100 yard (note: shorter race than the 100 meter)
  • 20.9 220 yard (note: slightly longer than 200 meter - all race lengths below are also longer than their meter counterparts so be careful with comparisons to modern meter races)
  • 48.9 440 yard
  • 1:58.3 880 yard
Didn't realize I had a doppelganger

For some reason an article about Wilt Chamberlain popped up on my computer today and beside his record with the ladies he has to be considered one of the worlds greatest athletes. I was unaware of how good he was in track and field. After he retired from basketball he became a star in volleyball and is in the volleyball hall of fame.

He was the Big 8 high jump champ 3 years in a row and claims in college to have run a 4.4 forty. It was hand timed. He has an official 40 time of 4.6 which was run when he was 50 pounds heavier than his college years. He also was a shot putter and threw in the 56 foot range.

He lifted weights with Arnold and Arnold says he saw him bench 500 pounds. With arms that long that is unreal.

I will paste the track times he ran later.
There is a story that he and Jim Brown raced and Wilt beat him twice.

• 4.6 40 (hand-timed by KC Chiefs coach Hank Stram, Wilt ran it barefooted, 290lbs at the time)
Note, all of the below times were taken when Wilt was between the ages of 16 and 18:

• 10.0 100 yard (note: shorter race than the 100 meter)
  • 20.9 220 yard (note: slightly longer than 200 meter - all race lengths below are also longer than their meter counterparts so be careful with comparisons to modern meter races)
  • 48.9 440 yard
  • 1:58.3 880 yard
Yeah, but could he beat up Kareem?

Thank you Tom

As great an athlete as you were did you ever just shake your head at how great someone was as an overall athlete? I am sure there were guys in professional baseball that were off the charts great in most every sport they did

Did you compete at the same time as Willie Wilson for example

As great an athlete as you were did you ever just shake your head at how great someone was as an overall athlete? I am sure there were guys in professional baseball that were off the charts great in most every sport they did

Did you compete at the same time as Willie Wilson for example
I’m a better hockey player than Willie I know that.😀
Once I got to the minor leagues and saw kids from every part of the country and Latin America, I never stopped being amazed at the things I saw.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Once I got to the minor leagues and saw kids from every part of the country and Latin America, I never stopped being amazed at the things I saw.

But how about the athletic stuff

Wilson was a great athlete, remember article in Si how Bo at Michigan wanted him badly. Wilson was Parade all american and Joe Montana was one of the quarterbacks.

What do you mean by athletic stuff?
I’m taking about incredible arms, speed, power and explosiveness

I was making a joke about the things you saw. (crazy behavior) I am sure there were things beyond athletics that left you shaking your head

Reactions: zappaa
So many good responses. I can only imagine some non-Americans would qualify. Maybe some Viking or Hun or Zulu warrior. We'll never know but it has been fun reading responses.

In 1950, the Associated Press voted Jim Thorpe as both the Greatest American Football Player and the Greatest Overall Male Athlete. His Canadian counterpart would be Lionel Pretoria “The Big Train” Conacher. He is in the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame and Canadian Football Hall of Fame (both in 1955); the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame (1966) and the Hockey Hall of Fame (1994). He also played for rugby’s Toronto Argonauts and the Detroit Tigers wanted to sign him in baseball. He once fought Jack Dempsey in an exhibition match for charity and also held political office.

In 1950, the Associated Press voted Jim Thorpe as both the Greatest American Football Player and the Greatest Overall Male Athlete. His Canadian counterpart would be Lionel Pretoria “The Big Train” Conacher. He is in the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame and Canadian Football Hall of Fame (both in 1955); the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame (1966) and the Hockey Hall of Fame (1994). He also played for rugby’s Toronto Argonauts and the Detroit Tigers wanted to sign him in baseball. He once fought Jack Dempsey in an exhibition match for charity and also held political office.
I vote for Lionel Pretoria Conacher

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
I vote for Lionel Pretoria Conacher

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, after a trade to the NHL New York Americans, he was also added to the Rutgers football staff as a backfield coach for the 1927 spring practice. The September 16, 1929 New York Times reported, “For two years Lionel Conacher, newly appointed manager of the New York Americans hockey team, taught Rutgers players how to throw laterals. Conacher, hailing from Canada, where lateral passing and rugby football are inseparable, gave the local team a thorough schooling in this phase of the game. Conacher is no longer on the coaching staff but the seed he implanted is sure to bloom this season.”

So many to choose from Jim Thorpe, Bo Jackson, prime time D. Sanders, William " Refrigerator" Perry, such a hard choice. #1 Jim Thorpe.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, after a trade to the NHL New York Americans, he was also added to the Rutgers football staff as a backfield coach for the 1927 spring practice. The September 16, 1929 New York Times reported, “For two years Lionel Conacher, newly appointed manager of the New York Americans hockey team, taught Rutgers players how to throw laterals. Conacher, hailing from Canada, where lateral passing and rugby football are inseparable, gave the local team a thorough schooling in this phase of the game. Conacher is no longer on the coaching staff but the seed he implanted is sure to bloom this season.”
He scored 80 goals in 22 years playing hockey.
Bobby Hull he wasn’t

I think Willie was a better basketball player though.☺All Union County in baseball, basketball and football. Had signed a letter of intent to be a tailback at Maryland before KC dangled that signing bonus.
Played against him in summer ball in the old Intra-County League. He actually played catcher at Summit. NY Times article about his signing.

the Russian National Hockey Team says hold my beer

No match for former Russian super heavyweight wrestler Alexsandr Karelin.

Olympics- 3 Gold, 1 Silver
World Championships - 9 Gold

Undefeated in international competition for 13 years. Six years in a row when he didn't give up a point.
Lifetime international won/lost record - 882-2 (Both loses by 1-0 scores) retired in 2000 after losing Olympic finals.

No person ever dominated a sport like he did.

Reactions: BigRnj
I think Willie was a better basketball player though.☺All Union County in baseball, basketball and football. Had signed a letter of intent to be a tailback at Maryland before KC dangled that signing bonus.
Played against him in summer ball in the old Intra-County League. He actually played catcher at Summit. NY Times article about his signing.

I played legion ball against him, he was 195 pound catcher

Reactions: colbert17
No Love for Danny Ainge?
Played for Toronto Blue Jays and Boston Celtics.
Ok, maybe not an all time athlete, but heck of an accomplishment.

My Pick would be for Bo Jackson
2nd Pick: Herschel Walker

I am only 55 and went with athletes I have seen

Reactions: redking
Not saying they're the best at all because of some of the names mentioned above, but Dave Winfield and Charlie Ward were both phenomenal athletes. Winfield was drafted in 3 sports. Ward was drafted by MLB teams twice, won a Heisman, and played about 10 years in the NBA. Apparently he was a very good amateur tennis player as well and played in the Arthur Ashe Amateur.

No match for former Russian super heavyweight wrestler Alexsandr Karelin.

Olympics- 3 Gold, 1 Silver
World Championships - 9 Gold

Undefeated in international competition for 13 years. Six years in a row when he didn't give up a point.
Lifetime international won/lost record - 882-2 (Both loses by 1-0 scores) retired in 2000 after losing Olympic finals.

No person ever dominated a sport like he did.
thanks, never knew this

I would still give it to Thorpe given his accomplishments but this wrestler sounds impressive

Jim Thorpe - read his biography when I was a kid. Sad what was done to him.

Pele gets honorable mention his goal scoring record is a sports record that will never be broken and playing soccer at that level for that long requires amazing athletic ability. No other sport requires the same amount of stamina with almost no stopping for 45 minutes .

Jim Thorpe - read his biography when I was a kid. Sad what was done to him.

Pele gets honorable mention his goal scoring record is a sports record that will never be broken and playing soccer at that level for that long requires amazing athletic ability. No other sport requires the same amount of stamina with almost no stopping for 45 minutes .

Tour De France?

Reactions: WhiteBus
ADVERTISEMENT