ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Greatest Guitarists of All Time

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
If Alvin Lee isn't included .... you don't know Bo Diddley about guitar.

It's not just the licks he plays, it the speed, cleanness and soul as well. In the attached,
the Sometimes I Can't Keep from Crying / Going Home are prime examples.

Seems like I've always loved Clapton...but Eric couldn't keep up with Alvin. Few could.

In no particular order:
Jimi
Eddie V.
Stevie Ray
Alvin Lee
Joe S.
Paco de Lucia
Sabicas
Segovia
X: many many more

MO

Last edited:
I know that this will be about rock guitarists but I think that this is one of the most moving pieces of music ever. Also the theme to one of my favorite all time movies.

The other John Williams:

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
One of my favorite Eric Clapton clips is when he performed with Dire Straits in 1988. Here you've got Mark Knopfler (who himself is one of the Top 10 guitarists of the last 50 years) and Clapton completely takes over the stage. Peak Clapton was a giant among giants.

Mark Knopfler showing off in 1985 ...

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTGERS95
One of my favorite Eric Clapton clips is when he performed with Dire Straits in 1988. Here you've got Mark Knopfler (who himself is one of the Top 10 guitarists of the last 50 years) and Clapton completely takes over the stage. Peak Clapton was a giant among giants.

Mark Knopfler showing off in 1985 ...

Great performance from the same concert

One of Knopflers best

There is no “greatest” guitar player. There have been many great players in different major genres of music. It’s a completely subjective thing. I’m always amazed when these lists come up and great jazz players like Charlie Christian, DJango Rheinhardt, Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, etc. do not get mentioned. In the Rock world, my favorites often are emotive and lyrical in their playing, those who can “sing” with the guitar. I like to mention some players that get overlooked like: Danny Gatton, Don Felder, Johnny Winter, Tommy Bolin, Peter Green, Tommy Emmanuel, Jerry Garcia, etc.

There is no “greatest” guitar player. There have been many great players in different major genres of music. It’s a completely subjective thing. I’m always amazed when these lists come up and great jazz players like Charlie Christian, DJango Rheinhardt, Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, etc. do not get mentioned. In the Rock world, my favorites often are emotive and lyrical in their playing, those who can “sing” with the guitar. I like to mention some players that get overlooked like: Danny Gatton, Don Felder, Johnny Winter, Tommy Bolin, Peter Green, Tommy Emmanuel, Jerry Garcia, etc.
2 from my starter list are known for flamenco and one was a master classical guitarist,

Agree there are no greatest ….but when you hear a guitarist who moves you to tears while you’re tapping you’re foot ….it’s pretty great.

Mo
Saw Steven Stills in Kawaii ….fantastic!

Last edited:
Reactions: RUGuitarMan
Eddie Van Halen is #1 in my book.

Some other great one's I didn't see, Kirk Hammett, Diamond Darrell Abbott, Zakk Wylde from Jackson NJ, Steve Clark, Warren DeMartini, Ted Nugent and Slash ( Saul Hudson).

Reactions: RU-AGK

Some other great one's I didn't see, Kirk Hammett, Diamond Darrell Abbott, Zakk Wylde from Jackson NJ, Steve Clark, Warren DeMartini, Ted Nugent and Slash ( Saul Hudson).
We can hang out.

Reactions: TM94goRU
I see the usual names in this thread when discussing the greatest guitarists of all time. But two underrated guitarists from the 80s were Neal Schon of Journey and Gary Richrath (RIP) of REO. Both were driving forces behind those bands' success

Tim Henson from polyphia
Tommy Emmanuel
Guthrie Govan
Random Nashville chicken picker who noones ever heard of.

there are lots of influential guitar players. That’s different. Like jimmy page, Clapton, Duane allman, Eddie Van Halen, Django Reinhardt, Chet Atkins, Hendrix.

Small correction on a great list. Dimebag Darrell Abbott.
BTW, Pantera are touring with Phil, Rex, Zakk Wylde on Guitar and Charlie Benante from Antrhax on drums.

Small correction on a great list. Dimebag Darrell Abbott.
BTW, Pantera are touring with Phil, Rex, Zakk Wylde on Guitar and Charlie Benante from Antrhax on drums.
I know, I know he switched it. I went with his original moniker, because dimebag is a drug reference.

Yes the tribute is happening, it is ashame it could not have happened when Vinnie Paul was alive.

I know, I know he switched it. I went with his original moniker, because dimebag is a drug reference.

Yes the tribute is happening, it is ashame it could not have happened when Vinnie Paul was alive.
Did he really? Well, bad on me. Just saw that in Wikipedia.
I did not read if Vinnie's wife/partner Rita approved or disapproved---just looked it up, and apparently she does, and Rex does not care either way. So, it is kind of like Kiss, except Peter Criss and Ace Frehley are still alive.

Did he really? Well, bad on me. Just saw that in Wikipedia.
I did not read if Vinnie's wife/partner Rita approved or disapproved---just looked it up, and apparently she does, and Rex does not care either way. So, it is kind of like Kiss, except Peter Criss and Ace Frehley are still alive.
Great way to put it!

My all-time favorite is Jackson native Zakk Wylde (Jeff Weilandt) ...Grew up with him and dated his sister for a year...Growing up he was the best athlete in Jackson Pop Warner and Holbrook little league ( was a great Baseball player..so smooth) ..Come freshman year and the HS coaches are excited for him to join football and baseball teams...He's says NO and he's going to concentrate on playing guitar and is done with sports...Most people were like What? Play Guitar? In middle of His Senior year at Jackson HS Ozzy flies him out to California for audition and he comes home as Ozzys lead guitarist...When I use to go to his house all he did was practice and give lessons...We all knew when he was a Junior and held a concert at the HS and there were thousands of fans that couldn't get in he was Special..Great guy and such a nice guy..Never forget when he played The National Anthem with his teeth at that HS concert..People went Wylde!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...4b88da2610bf16e9eb353b1164c740ef&action=click

Last edited:
A few others that come to mind that should be mentioned, Les Paul, Jerry Cantrell, Mike McCready, Joe Perry, and the Schenker Brothers. So many great one's come to mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT