ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Greatest Sports Dynasty of All-Time

Ronnie_B

All American
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2011
Off the top of my head you would have to consider several of the Yankees dynasty teams (at least four dynasties), Canadians (same number as Yankees), 1960s Celtics, 1970-80s Steelers, 1990s Bulls.......but the one I put ahead of them all was the 1980's Edmonton Oilers, who won five cups, and if they weren't a small city team in Canada and were able to keep Gretzky, Messier and Kurri together among other great players on that dynasty, they probably would have won 8-10 Stanley Cups.

The 1983-84 Oilers team average 5.5 goals a game, the following year their top line had two 70 goal scorers (Gretzky 73, Kurri 71), 1985-86 they didn't win the cup thanks to Steve Smith's own goal in Game 7, but that team boasted three players with 130+ points and 50 goals scored. After winning two more cups the Great One was traded to the Kings at the age of 28 and Coffey traded to the Pens (25 years old) in 1988, which didn't stop the Oilers from winning their 5th cup in 1989 led by Messier.

At their height they won 4 cups in 5 seasons and 5 in 7, but if they were in a major market like Chicago, New York or even Montreal, like I said I don't see why it wouldn't have been more.

Reactions: newell138
Off the top of my head you would have to consider several of the Yankees dynasty teams (at least four dynasties), Canadians (same number as Yankees), 1960s Celtics, 1970-80s Steelers, 1990s Bulls.......but the one I put ahead of them all was the 1980's Edmonton Oilers, who won five cups, and if they weren't a small city team in Canada and were able to keep Gretzky, Messier and Kurri together among other great players on that dynasty, they probably would have won 8-10 Stanley Cups.

The 1983-84 Oilers team average 5.5 goals a game, the following year their top line had two 70 goal scorers (Gretzky 73, Kurri 71), 1985-86 they didn't win the cup thanks to Steve Smith's own goal in Game 7, but that team boasted three players with 130+ points and 50 goals scored. After winning two more cups the Great One was traded to the Kings at the age of 28 and Coffey traded to the Pens (25 years old) in 1988, which didn't stop the Oilers from winning their 5th cup in 1989 led by Messier.

At their height they won 4 cups in 5 seasons and 5 in 7, but if they were in a major market like Chicago, New York or even Montreal, like I said I don't see why it wouldn't have been more.
Stengel’s Yankees . Torre’s Yankees.
Oilers yep .
Brady-Bellichick’s Patriots run. That may be the best of all time considering the NFL parody and cap . Same with Saban at alabama .
Jordan’s Bulls were the best NBA teams I ever saw .
Wooden’s ucla teams.

Stengel’s Yankees . Torre’s Yankees.
Oilers yep .
Brady-Bellichick’s Patriots run. That may be the best of all time considering the NFL parody and cap . Same with Saban at alabama .
Jordan’s Bulls were the best NBA teams I ever saw .
Wooden’s ucla teams.
The Patriots might not be up there in my books as one of the best dynasties because their six Super Bowl titles were spread out almost two decades, but it might be one of the best runs because of that two decade excellence.

But besides Brady and a few others, most of their title teams were of different rosters. It never had a steady core of great players for the six titles, it was broken up if that makes sense.

I agree with the Bulls as being the best team ever, but it was the one after Jordan came back, not the first Bulls team before he played baseball. The 73-9 team was the best NBA team ever in one year.

I think just Montreal won four in a row
They once won five in a row, but that was during when their was only six teams and you only had to win two series.

They won four in a row in the late 1970s, but you only needed three series. The Islanders won four series in their four cup seasons and then lost to the finals against the Oilers for their quest for five. Hence 19.

But they (and Oilers) played at a time with 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs, so it wasn't uncommon to face a team in the first round with less than 30 wins during the regular season.

The Patriots might not be up there in my books as one of the best dynasties because their six Super Bowl titles were spread out almost two decades, but it might be one of the best runs because of that two decade excellence.

But besides Brady and a few others, most of their title teams were of different rosters. It never had a steady core of great players for the six titles, it was broken up if that makes sense.

I agree with the Bulls as being the best team ever, but it was the one after Jordan came back, not the first Bulls team before he played baseball. The 73-9 team was the best NBA team ever in one year.
Agree on the Bulls. They were better the Rodman years.
Disagree on patriots . You say it was one of the best runs ever , but it’s not a dynasty . That’s perplexing . I see your logic , but I disagree .

Agree on the Bulls. They were better the Rodman years.
Disagree on patriots . You say it was one of the best runs ever , but it’s not a dynasty . That’s perplexing . I see your logic , but I disagree .
Oh they were most definitely a dynasty, hands down, reread what I said, I just don't place their dynasty as high as others because it was spread over a longer time period.

They remind me of the Braves when the won a zillion division titles in a row, but they also only won just one World Series during that run. I always wonder how Braves fans feel about that run, they won every year but always fell short in the playoffs.

Reactions: Plum Street
19 years
17 Division Titles
9-3 AFC Championship
6-3 Super Bowl

I'd say thats a dynasty

Taiwan Little League in the 70s and probably overall.

Soviet Union hockey team

college sports is sometimes hard because of roster turnover .
how about the Duke laettner teams ? 4 final fours , 3 title games and 2 titles.

what about individual sports ? How do you judge that as dynasty ? Serena ?

The greatest Individual sports dynasty is easily Aleksandr Karelin the Russian Greco Roman wrestler with a career record of 887-2 with both losses by 1 point. He went undefeated for 13 years and more than 6 years without anyone scoring on him. In this time he won nine consecutive world championships and 3 Olympic gold medals. His most notable loss (of the 2) was against Rulon Gardner from Wyoming for the gold medal in the Sydney Olympics, when Karelin was at the very end of his career. It is amazing that an individual could compete at that level for 13 years… each team sport dynasty was refreshed with new talent during their respective runs.

Last edited:
Jimmie Johnson (driver) and Chad Knaus (crew Chief .. ie head coach) and Team Lowes Racing .. 5 championships in a row in NASCAR, 2006-2010. Will never be repeated.
7 championships all time (2013, 2016), tied for most all-time with Petty and Dale Earnhardt. His move to win his 7th and final in the winner-take-all championship race, one of the greatest sports calls of all-time

The greatest Individual sports dynasty is easily Aleksandr Karelin the Russian Greco Roman wrestler with a career record of 887-2 with both losses by 1 point. He went undefeated for 13 years and more than 6 years without anyone scoring on him. In this time he won nine consecutive world championships and 3 Olympic gold metals. His most notable loss (of the 2) was against Rulon Gardner from Wyoming for the gold metal in the Sydney Olympics, when Karelin was at the very end of his career. It is amazing that an individual could compete at that level for 13 years… each team sport dynasty was refreshed with new talent during their respective runs.
You beat me to it. I had posted in a similar thread last year. Was also named one of the 25 greatest athletes in the world for the 20th century.
Incredibly intimidating human being.
Used Ivan Drago style training methods. Legend is that he would walk up stairs with a refrigerator strapped to his back.

WhatsApp-Image-2020-08-01-at-10.45.14-AM.jpeg

Last edited:
I get the temptation to do it because of MJ, but hard for me to put the Bulls ahead of even the Showtime Lakers. And I HATE the Lakers.

The best team the 90’s Bulls ever had to beat was the aging Bad Boys Pistons at the end of their run. Showtime had to beat Celtic teams loaded with HOF’ers, Philly with Dr J and Moses Malone and the aforementioned Pistons when they were young and hungry.

Also I don’t think people appreciate how good James Worthy was. Him combined with the all time leading scorer in nba history plus one of the top 6 players the sport has ever seen and mix in guys like Scott (an all star)

The mid 1940’s through early 60’s Yankees has to be it for me. Went from Joe D right into the Mickey and Yogi teams. Well over a decade of dominance

Last edited:
Since college teams were mentioned in other sports, I'll add the LSU women's track and field team, and the Arkansas men's track and field and cross country teams.

The LSU women's team won the NCAA Div 1 outdoor track and field championship for 11 years in a row from 1987 through 1997, and then again in 2000 and 2003.

They also won 11 national indoor championships in the 18 years from 1987 through 2004, including 5 years in a row from 1993 through 1997.

The Arkansas men's track and field teams won the NCAA Div 1 outdoor track and field championship for 8 years in a row, from 1992 through 1999, and again in 2003. (They also won in 2004 and 2005, but later had to vacate the title those two years for infractions involving star sprinter Tyson Gay.)

They were even more dominant indoors, winning the NCAA Div 1 Men's Indoor Track and Field Championship 12 years in a row from 1984 through 1995, and then again in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2005, and 2006. (19 indoor national championships in 23 years)

Lastly, Arkansas also won the men's national cross country championship in 1984, '86, '87 '90 '91 '92, '93, '95, '98, '99, and 2000. (Eleven cross country national championships in 17 years.)

(The longest national championship winning streak in women's cross country was accomplished by the Villanova teams from 1989 through 1994, winning six national cross country championships in a row. Villanova women also won the NCAA national cross country championship in 1998, 2009, and 2010.)

I have nothing to add, but great post and lots to think about...

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Lastly, Arkansas also won the men's national cross country championship in 1984, '86, '87 '90 '91 '92, '93, '95, '98, '99, and 2000. (Eleven cross country national championships in 17 years.)
Wow I never knew that Arkansas was so dominant in the sport. I think that the casual sports fan when asked about a national XC power most would answer Oregon all the way back to the Prefontaine days.
Good stuff!!!
Thanks!!!

to me, an individual cant be a dynasty unto himself (or herself). dynasty means sustaining group excellence and winning championships over long periods of turnover and change. The UConn women’s hoops epitomizes that.

Jack Nicklaus is not a dynasty. Richard Petty is not a dynasty.

I get the temptation to do it because of MJ, but hard for me to put the Bulls ahead of even the Showtime Lakers. And I HATE the Lakers.

The best team the 90’s Bulls ever had to beat was the aging Bad Boys Pistons at the end of their run. Showtime had to beat Celtic teams loaded with HOF’ers, Philly with Dr J and Moses Malone and the aforementioned Pistons when they were young and hungry.

Also I don’t think people appreciate how good James Worthy was. Him combined with the all time leading scorer in nba history plus one of the top 6 players the sport has ever seen and mix in guys like Scott (an all star)

The mid 1940’s through early 60’s Yankees has to be it for me. Went from Joe D right into the Mickey and Yogi teams. Well over a decade of dominance
If it wasn't for the Celtics the Lakers probably would have won more titles and if it wasn't for the Lakers the Celtics the same.

The greatest Individual sports dynasty is easily Aleksandr Karelin the Russian Greco Roman wrestler with a career record of 887-2 with both losses by 1 point. He went undefeated for 13 years and more than 6 years without anyone scoring on him. In this time he won nine consecutive world championships and 3 Olympic gold medals. His most notable loss (of the 2) was against Rulon Gardner from Wyoming for the gold medal in the Sydney Olympics, when Karelin was at the very end of his career. It is amazing that an individual could compete at that level for 13 years… each team sport dynasty was refreshed with new talent during their respective runs.
arguably the greatest athlete possibly surpassing Thorpe. Karelin's dominance is simply mind blowing.

team dynasty needs to have a single team focus with the changing of players being considered. 70s Steelers, 30s Yankees, 70s Russian Hockey, Uconn wbb etc.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT