ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Greatest Sports Dynasty of All-Time

We have a winner.

UCLA 10 championships in 12 years. 4 undefeated seasons (30-0), of which 2 were consecutive. And what happened to the Celtics after the streak? Mediocrity until Bird/McHale. UCLA was still getting to at least the Elite 8 in March Madness.

UCLA 10 championships in 12 years. 4 undefeated seasons (30-0), of which 2 were consecutive. And what happened to the Celtics after the streak? Mediocrity until Bird/McHale. UCLA was still getting to at least the Elite 8 in March Madness.
Quickly did the math and thankfully 11/13 (84.6%) > 10/12 (83.3%). 😅

Reactions: hinson32
Not the longest run but 11 HOF players (+ the coach) will never happen again
That was the longest run of championships at the time since Lombardi's Packers in the 60s. What's interesting about the Steelers is that they've only had 3 coaches in the last 53 years.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Off the top of my head you would have to consider several of the Yankees dynasty teams (at least four dynasties), Canadians (same number as Yankees), 1960s Celtics, 1970-80s Steelers, 1990s Bulls.......but the one I put ahead of them all was the 1980's Edmonton Oilers, who won five cups, and if they weren't a small city team in Canada and were able to keep Gretzky, Messier and Kurri together among other great players on that dynasty, they probably would have won 8-10 Stanley Cups.

The 1983-84 Oilers team average 5.5 goals a game, the following year their top line had two 70 goal scorers (Gretzky 73, Kurri 71), 1985-86 they didn't win the cup thanks to Steve Smith's own goal in Game 7, but that team boasted three players with 130+ points and 50 goals scored. After winning two more cups the Great One was traded to the Kings at the age of 28 and Coffey traded to the Pens (25 years old) in 1988, which didn't stop the Oilers from winning their 5th cup in 1989 led by Messier.

At their height they won 4 cups in 5 seasons and 5 in 7, but if they were in a major market like Chicago, New York or even Montreal, like I said I don't see why it wouldn't have been more.
Hello Mcfly, The Boston Celtics???

The Celtics won 2 championships in the 70s. They won their first of the decade in 1974, 5 years after Russell retired. They won again in 1976. The drought started after that and lasted until they drafted Bird and traded for Parish and McHale in the early 80s.

Trinity College (Hartford, CT) men's squash team.

The Trinity Bantams men's squash team holds the record for the longest unbeaten streak in any intercollegiate sport in the nation's history. On January 18, 2012, Trinity's 252-game unbeaten streak ended in a 5–4 loss to Yale. The Bantams have won 17 national titles since 1999, 13 of them consecutively.

Trinity College (Hartford, CT) men's squash team.

The Trinity Bantams men's squash team holds the record for the longest unbeaten streak in any intercollegiate sport in the nation's history. On January 18, 2012, Trinity's 252-game unbeaten streak ended in a 5–4 loss to Yale. The Bantams have won 17 national titles since 1999, 13 of them consecutively.
What's squash ?

Soviet Union hockey team
I was going to mention them. Everyone knows about all the Olympic gold medals they won, but what is often overlooked is that they weren't a typical national team comprising players from various club teams, it was a team in the Soviet League. From 1955 through 1989, 35 years, they won 29 championships, including 10 in 12 years from 1955-1966 and 13 straight from 1977-1989. It would have been great if the Stanley Cup champion would have played the Soviet League champion every year. It probably would have been great hockey, heated rivalry, and an intriguing head-to-head matchup of differing hockey tactics philosophies. The Summit Series was probably the closest to that.

Wow I never knew that Arkansas was so dominant in the sport. I think that the casual sports fan when asked about a national XC power most would answer Oregon all the way back to the Prefontaine days.
Good stuff!!!
Thanks!!!
If we are going to Xcountry.. how about WVU's Rifle Team?

West Virginia is the most successful college rifle program in the United States, winning a total of 19 NCAA national team championships. They have won 25 individual NCAA championships, produced 65 All-Americans, and 13 Olympians. Jon Hammond serves as the head coach of the rifle team.

If we are going to Xcountry.. how about WVU's Rifle Team?

West Virginia is the most successful college rifle program in the United States, winning a total of 19 NCAA national team championships. They have won 25 individual NCAA championships, produced 65 All-Americans, and 13 Olympians. Jon Hammond serves as the head coach of the rifle team.
Unfair comparison.
Did you know in NCAA rifle competition the targets look like squirrels???
Gives the competitors from WVU an advantage.
Here's their outstanding freshman!

5b790b33b6d85.image.jpg

Last edited:
Agree on the Bulls. They were better the Rodman years.
Disagree on patriots . You say it was one of the best runs ever , but it’s not a dynasty . That’s perplexing . I see your logic , but I disagree .
Bulls can’t touch the Celtics run

UCLA dynasty
Steelers, 75-80, 4 SB's in 6 years
Bulls with Jordan
UCLA gets my vote.

10 NCAA Championships in 12 years. 7 in a row.

I think the “lose one game and you’re out” adds another whole dimension that we should heavily weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: tom1944

Beginning in 1851, the New York Yacht Club and its boat "America" defeated the Royal Yacht Squadron's "Aurora." The NYYC later donated its trophy with the agreement it would be called the "America's Cup" after its inaugural winner.

The next race was in 1870. The NYYC successfully defended all challengers from this time until 1987 when the Stars & Stripes '87 lost to the Royal Perth Yacht Club's Kookaburra III.

It was a sports dynasty that lasted 136 years and was successfully defended 26 times in a row.

And one of those defenses took place off the Jersey shore:

Columbia arrived into New Jersey - in both New Brunswick and the Highlands of Navesink - on October 3, 1899. George Foster Sanford began his Hall of Fame coaching career by resurrecting Columbia’s football program that had been extinct for eight years. His team shut down Rutgers 26-0 and a month later pulled a huge upset against Yale. He was 22-11-1 for the next three years with Columbia.

Meanwhile about 30 miles southeast of Neilson Field, down at the Jersey shore, according to the October 3, 1899 Daily Times, “The Columbia and the Shamrock started this morning in the first race of the series for the America’s Cup…. possibly the largest flotilla of excursion boats and yachts on record followed the racers. It is estimated that nearly 250 vessels, carrying upwards of 50,000 persons, witnessed the contest at close range.” A seesaw battle ensued but both boats stalled in calm winds and the result was a “no race.” Sea conditions delayed the 1899 America’s Cup until October 15, 16 and 21. Columbia won the first race by one mile and beat Shamrock by 10 minutes in the second. The October 21 Daily Times reported that a Western Union bulletin stated, “Columbia finished at 2:40:11 over a mile and a half ahead of Shamrock… the turn of the final race was off Asbury Park.” Columbia’s 6:34 victory was the third in a row and sealed the U.S. defense of the America’s Cup.

Beginning in 1851, the New York Yacht Club and its boat "America" defeated the Royal Yacht Squadron's "Aurora." The NYYC later donated its trophy with the agreement it would be called the "America's Cup" after its inaugural winner.

The next race was in 1870. The NYYC successfully defended all challengers from this time until 1987 when the Stars & Stripes '87 lost to the Royal Perth Yacht Club's Kookaburra III.

It was a sport's dynasty that lasted 136 years and was successfully defended 26 times in a row.

And one of those defenses took place off the Jersey shore:

Columbia arrived into New Jersey - in both New Brunswick and the Highlands of Navesink - on October 3, 1899. George Foster Sanford began his Hall of Fame coaching career by resurrecting Columbia’s football program that had been extinct for eight years. His team shut down Rutgers 26-0 and a month later pulled a huge upset against Yale. He was 22-11-1 for the next three years with Columbia.

Meanwhile about 30 miles southeast of Neilson Field, down at the Jersey shore, according to the October 3, 1899 Daily Times, “The Columbia and the Shamrock started this morning in the first race of the series for the America’s Cup…. possibly the largest flotilla of excursion boats and yachts on record followed the racers. It is estimated that nearly 250 vessels, carrying upwards of 50,000 persons, witnessed the contest at close range.” A seesaw battle ensued but both boats stalled in calm winds and the result was a “no race.” Sea conditions delayed the 1899 America’s Cup until October 15, 16 and 21. Columbia won the first race by one mile and beat Shamrock by 10 minutes in the second. The October 21 Daily Times reported that a Western Union bulletin stated, “Columbia finished at 2:40:11 over a mile and a half ahead of Shamrock… the turn of the final race was off Asbury Park.” Columbia’s 6:34 victory was the third in a row and sealed the U.S. defense of the America’s Cup.
Can't minimize the importance of the home ocean advantage.

I've got the Celtics, UCLA, Russian hockey, and Uconn women's basketball as my top 4, but not sure about the order.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT