ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Greg Lake, of ELP, at 69

RU4Real

Legend
Jul 25, 2001
It's been announced that Greg Lake, the voice behind Emerson, Lake & Palmer, has lost his battle with cancer. Bandmate and co-writer Keith Emerson died earlier in the year.

There might have been things I missed
But don't be unkind
It don't mean I'm blind

Perhaps there's a thing or two
I think of lying in bed
I shouldn't have said
But there it is

You see, it's all clear
You were meant to be here
From the beginning

Maybe I might have changed
And not been so cruel
Not been such a fool

Whatever was done is done
I just can't recall
It doesn't matter at all

You see, it's all clear
You were meant to be here
From the beginning

One of my favorite groups. Now 2/3rds in Heaven. RIP.

From Great Gates of Kiev (at 9:05) "There's no end to my life. No beginning to my death. Death is life."

Sad that you are gone Greg.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZK_fFtwKs0
ELP: Great Gates of Kiev - live 1974

RIP

Saw their concert with the orchestra back in ... 1977. The Works concert - think they only played at MSG and Montreal. Was awesome, but to this day, I kinda regret not seeing Led Zeppelin instead. (Only had money for one concert)

These guys had a number of iconic songs:

Father Christmas (already noted)
Fanfare for the Common Man (A staple song played during NFL highlights for many years)
Peter Gunn Theme (okay, this was a cover - but an awesome version of Dragnet music)
From the Beginning
Still You Turn Me On
Lucky Man

I am also convinced that Spinal Tap was a spoof on ELP as much as any other band.

One of my favorite bands while growing up. Saw them any times and they never disappointed. Keith , Carl and Greg could put out some great live music.

One of the best Prog Rock bands along with Yes.
Carl Palmer is an amazing drummer.
RIP Greg!

When I was in H.S. in the late 70s, Progressive Rock was Yes, ELP and Rush. To be honest, ELP was generally my 3rd place, of those 3 (big Rush fan) but not by much. Not by much at all.

When I was in H.S. in the late 70s, Progressive Rock was Yes, ELP and Rush. To be honest, ELP was generally my 3rd place, of those 3 (big Rush fan) but not by much. Not by much at all.

Don't forget the Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, ELO, Zombies/Argent, and Peter Gabriel's Genesis.

Excellent online BBC documentary on prog rock, including ELP, here:

Don't forget the Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, ELO, Zombies/Argent, and Peter Gabriel's Genesis.

The Moody Blues were pretty much done by the time the late 70s rolled around. They had that one album with the kinda syrupy pop single on it that real rockers didn't like. "Nights in White Satin" was the definitive "shot their load" album, IMO. Similarly, the Zombies and Argent were leaning toward the finish line well before the late 70s.

Pink Floyd to me was always in a category by themselves. Nobody did what Pink Floyd did.

None of the rest of it was on my radar. I despise ELO and am not a Genesis fan, Peter Gabriel or otherwise.

Don't forget where ELP derived from! That's right! it was an awesome band named King Crimson! If you truly love his music and you never heard this album, please get it! Entitled- In The Court Of The Crimson King. RIP Greg!

The Moody Blues were pretty much done by the time the late 70s rolled around. They had that one album with the kinda syrupy pop single on it that real rockers didn't like. "Nights in White Satin" was the definitive "shot their load" album, IMO. Similarly, the Zombies and Argent were leaning toward the finish line well before the late 70s.

Pink Floyd to me was always in a category by themselves. Nobody did what Pink Floyd did.

None of the rest of it was on my radar. I despise ELO and am not a Genesis fan, Peter Gabriel or otherwise.

Don't sell that Moodys short....they hit #1 on the album charts in 1981 with Long Distance Voyager and had hits with The Voice and Gemini Dream which are underrated songs and yeah while that 86 stuff with Wildest Dreams and I Know Youre Out There Somewhere was light pop, it was quite remarkable that the band was able to have top 10 hits in 3 dedicates and reinvent themselves when they were virtually dinosaurs

Don't sell that Moodys short....they hit #1 on the album charts in 1981 with Long Distance Voyager and had hits with The Voice and Gemini Dream which are underrated songs and yeah while that 86 stuff with Wildest Dreams and I Know Youre Out There Somewhere was light pop, it was quite remarkable that the band was able to have top 10 hits in 3 dedicates and reinvent themselves when they were virtually dinosaurs

No, I'm sorry. They're not underrated at all.

I Love "The Voice"! Also, The Story In Your Eyes, Tuesday Afternoon, Singer In A Rock And Roll Band, Question and many more and don't forget the album "Days Of Future Past" it's very good! RIP Greg and we'll all see you soon!

C'est La Vie:

Epitaph:

There are very few passages from books, and songs that are burned into my head. This, however, is one:

"Confusion will be my epitaph.
As I crawl a cracked and broken path.
If we make it, we can all sit back and laugh.
But I fear tomorrow I'll be crying."

ADVERTISEMENT