ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Grilling London Broil

TrueRU

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
I picked up a 2 1/4 pound Top Round London Broil roast yesterday and have it sitting in a nice Teriyaki marinade. The plan is to grill it up tomorrow or sometime this weekend. I figured this board has all of the London Broil experts, so I wanted to get your thoughts//tips on grilling it. Thanks in advance!

Fire away!

Just did a 2 LB Top Round on Monday and it came out delicious. I use a combination of red wine vinegar, honey, soy sauce, garlic, and onion for my marinade and let it sit for 48 hours, turning over once while marinading.

On high heat, grill on the first side for 9-10 minutes with the grill cover closed.

Flip it over, grill on other side for 9-10 minutes with grill open.

Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing on the bias.

Reactions: batts
Wrap it in several layers of "strong" plastic wrap, then put it on your driveway and drive over it 8-10 times. If you're driving a Prius or some other lightweight car, you should probably up that to 13-15 times. After that, continue with your marinade plans.

Throw the London broil away and buy a nice piece of brisket. Throw your favorite spice rub on it, cover w/ foil and put in a 250 oven for about 5 hours.

Definitely some good advice thus far. I would cut the london broil up, feed it to the dog, get a job, and then go buy some sirloins, ribeyes or lamb chops.

Reactions: RUJohnny99
I make them a lot, because its lean. I poke holes all through both sides with a fork, then marinate (usually in the jewish teriyaki marinade--that stuff is really good) for at least 24 hours. Then grill on a preheated grill at medium high heat (I shoot for about 450* with the door closed) to get one side nice and seared, anywhere from 7-9 minutes depending how thick it is. Don't open the grill during this time, just chuck it on and dont open the grill for 7 minutes. It should be about 2/3 of the way cooked at this point. Then flip it, let it go for 5 minutes. Again, don't open the grill. If its not done after 5 minutes, turn the grill down a bit and bring it up to temperature--145*. This method will work unless its really thin or really thick.

Do NOT slice on the bias. That is only done by restaurants to make it look pretty. Slice it straight across in thin narrow strips. You want the fibers to be short, so it is tender. If you do this, I guarantee it will be tender and delicious. People make the "cut on the bias" mistake with flank steak and skirt steak as well. Tough meet needs to be cut across the grain, to keep the fibers as short as possible.

I challenge anyone on here who hates on london broil to make ti this way and tell me it isn't good. People always say "throw the london broil away and buy <insert fatty cut of meat>. Good steaks are great, no question. But a nicely made piece of london broil is good sometimes too. Its just a different thing. Its lean and economical.

Its honestly like saying, why would you eat pork chops? Throw them away and just eat 2 lbs of bacon for dinner.

Reactions: beelzebub14
I make them a lot, because its lean. I poke holes all through both sides with a fork, then marinate (usually in the jewish teriyaki marinade--that stuff is really good) for at least 24 hours. Then grill on a preheated grill at medium high heat (I shoot for about 450* with the door closed) to get one side nice and seared, anywhere from 7-9 minutes depending how thick it is. Don't open the grill during this time, just chuck it on and dont open the grill for 7 minutes. It should be about 2/3 of the way cooked at this point. Then flip it, let it go for 5 minutes. Again, don't open the grill. If its not done after 5 minutes, turn the grill down a bit and bring it up to temperature--145*. This method will work unless its really thin or really thick.

Do NOT slice on the bias. That is only done by restaurants to make it look pretty. Slice it straight across in thin narrow strips. You want the fibers to be short, so it is tender. If you do this, I guarantee it will be tender and delicious. People make the "cut on the bias" mistake with flank steak and skirt steak as well. Tough meet needs to be cut across the grain, to keep the fibers as short as possible.

I challenge anyone on here who hates on london broil to make ti this way and tell me it isn't good. People always say "throw the london broil away and buy <insert fatty cut of meat>. Good steaks are great, no question. But a nicely made piece of london broil is good sometimes too. Its just a different thing. Its lean and economical.

Its honestly like saying, why would you eat pork chops? Throw them away and just eat 2 lbs of bacon for dinner.
You cook it for 14 minutes? And you cook it to 145? You realize it's going to keep cooking after you take it off the heat, to as much as 160?

Why not just eat that dusty old catcher's mitt in your basement?

I get really thick prime sirloin from Costco, marinade it overnight (although marinade isn't really needed), take it out of the fridge 90 minutes before cooking, then, right before putting it on a 700 degree grill, press some sea salt into it, sometimes some fresh ground pepper if I feel like it.

Then slap it down, cook for about 90 seconds over a sear burner, flip it and cook for 90 more seconds, then turn the heat down to medium and do another 2 to 3 minutes on each side and it's done. Total cook time of 5-7 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes at least under some foil before cutting it. Nice cool center, evenly rare throughout.

Mmmmmm.

I grill it sometimes if on sale. Grill it quickly on high heat.....no longer than medium rare or it will be like eating rawhide. Slice it very thin at a bevel against the grain. Serve au jois or with horshradish and sauteed onions on a roll or warm over salad greens.

Note that If you grill it too long or slice it too thick it pretty much sucks.

I know that Real and Spanky have tremendous culinary credibility with my way out of control muffin top belly. And both are Pre law.. No wait? Pre med.Sorry.

DO NOT PRE-SEASON THE MEAT

• Preheat oven to 375
  • Heat up the biggest frying pan you have with a bit of olive oil/butter combination
  • Drop meat into pan and let sear for 2-3 min. If you have something to apply pressure to the top of the meat all the better.
  • Flip and repeat
  • Put meat on a cookie cooling rack inside a baking sheet so it is elevated.
  • Bake for 20min or so.
  • Take meat out and season as you like.
  • Tin foil tent meat for 5-10min to rest and season.
  • Cut & enjoy.

IF steaks came with a nutrition sticker, people might stop saying replace with "real steak". I got a vacuum sealed bison steak that had a label - something like 30g of fat for 6 oz. One of bison's selling points is that it's leaner than beef.

So yeah, that thick-cut 1lb ribeye - you might as well have a plate of bacon, breaded, deepfried and drizzled in chocolate.

Last edited:
I actually like london broil, and make it on the grill several times during the summer. But since top round is a very lean cut of meat, you have to cook it properly otherwise it is too tough:
  • marinate for a long time ... preferably over night ... in a slightly acidic marinade to help tenderize.
  • cook at a high temperature, either broil or grill (which is an upside-down broil).
  • cook medium rare (about 130 degrees) and let sit before slicing
  • slice very thin across the grain

Do this and you'll have a tasty meal that is tender enough that you can use leftover thin slices to make sandwiches the next day.

Reactions: batts
Also, lol at brisket - the toughest, crappiest part of the cow apart from the hoof. Sure overpay for a trendy cut and spend a whole day and $20 of propane cooking it. It'Lloyd taste good ... but cost more per lb than a ribeye.

Yeah, but how much did you pay per lb and what the hell is jewish teriyaki sauce?

DO NOT PRE-SEASON THE MEAT

• Preheat oven to 375
  • Heat up the biggest frying pan you have with a bit of olive oil/butter combination
  • Drop meat into pan and let sear for 2-3 min. If you have something to apply pressure to the top of the meat all the better.
  • Flip and repeat
  • Put meat on a cookie cooling rack inside a baking sheet so it is elevated.
  • Bake for 20min or so.
  • Take meat out and season as you like.
  • Tin foil tent meat for 5-10min to rest and season.
  • Cut & enjoy.
I'll take your word for it, but there's too many steps here for my short attention span.

Sanu If you disparage brisket in front of a Jew or a Texan ,or a Texas Jew, you will be hornswaggled..

Well, I try to avoid Texans, so I'll miss half those interactions.

Plus, I'll eat brisket, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of time making it when there are much better alternatives.

IF steaks came with a nutrition sticker, people might stop saying replace with "real steak". I got a vacuum sealed bison steak that had a label - something like 30g of fat for 6 oz. One of bison's selling points is that it's leaner than beef.

So yeah, that thick-cut 1lb ribeye - you might as well have a plate of bacon, breaded, deepfried and drizzled in chocolate.
That just made the home opener tailgate menu!

Reactions: FanuSanu52
Well, I try to avoid Texans, so I'll miss half those interactions.

Plus, I'll eat brisket, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of time making it when there are much better alternatives.
sorry, not many better options than a smoked brisket.

Reactions: RUSK97
Break out the Sous Vide machine...... set it for 153F.....put your LB in a Ziploc bag with your favorite marinade. Let it cook via the sous vide for about 4 hours. Remove it from the bag, dry it off and sear it on each side for no more than 2 minutes.

Sous Vide is the way to go!

As a disclaimer, the London Broil was buy one get one free, which is why it was purchased. Not typically in our meal lineup but giving it a shot...

I certainly appreciate the tips and entertainment in this thread!

Break out the Sous Vide machine...... set it for 153F.....put your LB in a Ziploc bag with your favorite marinade. Let it cook via the sous vide for about 4 hours. Remove it from the bag, dry it off and sear it on each side for no more than 2 minutes.

Sous Vide is the way to go!

Yeah, no.

No matter how many times you say "boiled meat is awesome", boiled meat is not awesome.

Yeah, no.

No matter how many times you say "boiled meat is awesome", boiled meat is not awesome.

we'll have to agree to disagree but I can guarantee you that there are plenty of 5 star restaurants using Sous Vide on a daily basis for all types of food, including meat.

we'll have to agree to disagree but I can guarantee you that there are plenty of 5 star restaurants using Sous Vide on a daily basis for all types of food, including meat.

Name them.

Also, "trendy" does not equal "good".

Meat - particularly beef - requires high temperature cooking to properly break down fat cells and bring out the correct flavor notes.

True, but I defy you to find one that uses it on London Broil.

Name them.

Also, "trendy" does not equal "good".

Meat - particularly beef - requires high temperature cooking to properly break down fat cells and bring out the correct flavor notes.

well, here is video from Daniel Humm of 11 Madison Park using one:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe/da...rloin-roasted-butternut-squash-puree-18000166

Thomas Keller of The French Laundry and Per Se wrote a whole book on it:

http://www.epicurious.com/archive/blogs/editor/2008/06/sous-vide-a-la.html

an old article but Per Se, 11 Madison Park (where I saw it in use in their kitchen when I dined there) and Momofuku are named in this article. I have also seen it used in the kitchen at Rats at the Grounds for Sculpture and Frasca in Boulder, Colorado (a James Beard award winning restaurant)

http://www.nysun.com/food-drink/return-of-sous-vide/63887/

at this point I am done arguing the point. You have your opinion and I have mine. I will continue to use my sous vide....you can choose not to.

Reactions: RU5781
ADVERTISEMENT