ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Grubhub / Uber eats dinner

RUfanSinceAnderson

All American
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
Hosting a virtual team dinner tomorrow and didn’t want the typical diner or chipotle from Grubhub (nor Chinese / pizza delivery).

Anyone have success with any of the food delivery apps with “fine dining” in the Morristown area. I couldn’t find with a quick look.

Restaurants lose money every time a delivery goes out via those apps. Order delivery direct from the restaurant or pick it up yourself.

That being said, "fine dining" doesn't always translate well with takeout.
Great food doesn't do well with delivery. It's not on a warm plate served to you hot but put in plastic or styrofoam. There is no experience either.

Reactions: MrsScrew
Great food doesn't do well with delivery. It's not on a warm plate served to you hot but put in plastic or styrofoam. There is no experience either.
Some do better than others... there are nice places in Princeton that we get takeout from and, while not the same as in person dining, it'll satiate a craving. And they should have all figured out a takeout solution by now.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
Don't have a spot where you are, but paella is one thing that holds up well as take out or delivery.

Indian Food translates well for delivery. Mehndi in Morristown is good. Been there once.

My usual order is Chicken Tikka Masala, Mango Lassi, Garlic Naan, and pan roasted shrimp as an appetizer from my Indian Restaurant.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Some do better than others... there are nice places in Princeton that we get takeout from and, while not the same as in person dining, it'll satiate a craving. And they should have all figured out a takeout solution by now.
I'm not talking about bar food I'm talking about high end food.

Indian Food translates well for delivery. Mehndi in Morristown is good. Been there once.

My usual order is Chicken Tikka Masala, Mango Lassi, Garlic Naan, and pan roasted shrimp as an appetizer from my Indian Restaurant.

Was gonna say Indian.

Vietnamese and Thai, too.

Italian not as good, large meat or fish entree terrible.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
Restaurants lose money every time a delivery goes out via those apps. Order delivery direct from the restaurant or pick it up yourself.

That being said, "fine dining" doesn't always translate well with takeout.
If they lose money why are they using those services?

Reactions: ATIOH
If they lose money why are they using those services?
He means they lose money compared to if you ordered directly from the place. They can majorly cut into a restaurant profits. While they still make money they can quickly lose money. They take a cut of payment beyond just processing fee. The restaurant also pays for any promotion you use. Unfortunately people also take advantage of their liberal customer service policies that will refund a customer for almost any complaint which comes out of the restaurant cut. In the end a restaurant hopes the volume they do will make the slim profit margin worthwhile. In the end it best if you just order and pay directly from the place.

He means they lose money compared to if you ordered directly from the place. They can majorly cut into a restaurant profits. While they still make money they can quickly lose money. They take a cut of payment beyond just processing fee. The restaurant also pays for any promotion you use. Unfortunately people also take advantage of their liberal customer service policies that will refund a customer for almost any complaint which comes out of the restaurant cut. In the end a restaurant hopes the volume they do will make the slim profit margin worthwhile. In the end it best if you just order and pay directly from the place.
That’s just a wrong statement then. They are not “losing money”. 80% of something is better than 0% of something.
The restaurant doesn’t need to offer grub hub or door dash . They can provide their own delivery service . The only time I have used those third party apps is when the restaurant doesn’t offer delivery . So I guess I am doing the right thing

That’s just a wrong statement then. They are not “losing money”. 80% of something is better than 0% of something.
The restaurant doesn’t need to offer grub hub or door dash . They can provide their own delivery service . The only time I have used those third party apps is when the restaurant doesn’t offer delivery . So I guess I am doing the right thing
They do need to use them because at least 70% or more delivery orders are coming from the "millennials" or their parents who are only doing it the way they were showed. And they are all using the apps and not even thinking about ordering direct. There is also the ease of selection using an app- you can just look at it like a menu and make a decision based on what you see- it sort of helps some restuarants too that can offer deals in order to attract new customers as well. But yes, they are losing money to the apps as in gross profit. Which is extremely important n any business.

That said- if they are all up to it- sushi is also a "fine" dining experience that travels well. Just hard to be the main course for a group.

Reactions: rurichdog
Anyone know if a place like Roots, Committed Pig or The Office delivers?

If your really going to order from Roots let me know what time I should be over - I'll take my steak medium rare. Committed Pig and the Office are not in the same league as Roots.
You might look into Sterling Tavern or End of Elm (Tapas - I believe you can schedule online for a Door Dash delivery) as well.

They do need to use them because at least 70% or more delivery orders are coming from the "millennials" or their parents who are only doing it the way they were showed. And they are all using the apps and not even thinking about ordering direct. There is also the ease of selection using an app- you can just look at it like a menu and make a decision based on what you see- it sort of helps some restuarants too that can offer deals in order to attract new customers as well. But yes, they are losing money to the apps as in gross profit. Which is extremely important n any business.

That said- if they are all up to it- sushi is also a "fine" dining experience that travels well. Just hard to be the main course for a group.

The thing with the apps is they open up markets the restaurants normally wouldn't have.

I know a lot of restaurants in Hoboken and Jersey City. But when I go on Uber Eats for example, I see restaurants in Union City and Secaucus that I would have no idea existed but for the app...and I've gone back and ordered from them more than once after trying them out. So there's definitely some opportunity for gains too.

Something about some random guy delivering my food doesn't sit well with me. If the restaurant doesn't have their own delivery driver I'm not using them.

Everything is sealed over and over again especially now. Recently they close them with so many stickers you can't even see into the bag.

Reactions: Jm0513
The thing with the apps is they open up markets the restaurants normally wouldn't have.

I know a lot of restaurants in Hoboken and Jersey City. But when I go on Uber Eats for example, I see restaurants in Union City and Secaucus that I would have no idea existed but for the app...and I've gone back and ordered from them more than once after trying them out. So there's definitely some opportunity for gains too.

+1 Have ordered from a bunch of places I never would have. Some I didn't know existed, some that are just out of the way and inconvenient to get to. Most are now part of my regular rotation.

I've only used pizza delivery from the actual place

It's just better to pick up your food

Heck no. Door Dash is a brilliant experience. Centralized menus even for places that have no online presence, no dicking around trying to time it so you get there exactly on time, food always piping hot, and you get to have a beer while you wait.

I've only used pizza delivery from the actual place

It's just better to pick up your food

I distinguish between a delivery service and a restaurant that has it's own delivery. I order from one in a downtown location where it might take me 10 minutes to find a parking space. More efficient for them to deliver. If they had curbside it might be different.

ADVERTISEMENT