ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Grueling workouts land multiple Oregon football players in hospital

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Willie Taggart killing it with the Ducks. Yikes.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...outs-put-multiple-oregon-players-in-hospital/

A report from The Oregonian uncovered that at least three Ducks football players have been sent to the hospital after undergoing grueling workouts administered by new strength coach Irele Oderinde, who followed Taggart from South Florida. Offensive linemen Doug Brenner and Sam Poutasi and tight end Cam McCormick are in “fair condition” at Springfield’s PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center at Riverbend, where they have remained since late last week.

Poutasi has reportedly been diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis, a soft tissue condition triggered by overwork that can lead to kidney damage.

While those three players remained hospitalized, The Oregonian reports the rest of the team was required to complete the same workouts this week:

The sources said that some players “passed out” and others later complained of discolored urine, which is a common symptom of rhabdomyolysis. After testing, others were found to have highly elevated levels of creatine kinase, an indicator of the syndrome.

3 out of 105 players. The 3 were seasoned guys. The newest guys had no issues.

Its called the bell curve. Weak, Average, Strong.

Coaches and trainers just need to be diligent in monitoring every player and back off some and get help for those who are weak.

0gty4d.jpg

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
They said they were going to change the workout... then never did.

This is how lawsuits start.

Coaches and trainers just need to be diligent in monitoring every player and back off some and get help for those who are weak.
There shouldn't be a bell curve that has players in left tail ending up in a hospital

That being said, I don't think the head coach is there leading workouts during winter. I think it's voluntary workouts just with the strength coach.

There shouldn't be a bell curve that has players in left tail ending up in a hospital
did you read my last line?

With that said, we've read enough over the last 10yrs strength coaches pushes these kids to rhabdomyolysis or death (UCF).

These strength coaches need to be trained more (IMO, they should almost be physical therapy or pre-med majors to understand what the human body can and cannot do). They are pushing human beings to the point of organ failure. It is not right.

Last edited:
People gonna get fired. Tulane fired their head strength coach this week beciase a parent complained she made her son run as a punishment. He was an hour late to practice.

It's a different world.

Reminds me of when our esteemed successful social experiment AD suspended our coach because parents said the players were being abused. The abuse? They used different helmets for practice than the ones they liked.

I had a parent confront me on the sideline after a game that I made his son "do hundreds of squats and weights over head lunges until his son's bicep tore". I asked him about the injury and what the doctor said. His response was I took care of it at home and he is fine after a few days.

His son was sore. He went to my AD. If it had become an issue I told myself in that moment that I was going to quit coaching. It did not become an issue. My AD told the parent that it was a non issue.

I had a parent confront me on the sideline after a game that I made his son "do hundreds of squats and weights over head lunges until his son's bicep tore". I asked him about the injury and what the doctor said. His response was I took care of it at home and he is fine after a few days.

His son was sore. He went to my AD. If it had become an issue I told myself in that moment that I was going to quit coaching. It did not become an issue. My AD told the parent that it was a non issue.
I'm questioning how any of those actions affected his biceps at all. Lol

The overhead weighted lunges apparently were more than his biceps could deal with.

I assume you are making the same face I made when the father was speaking to me.
No I get the stupidity of the parents it's the biomechanics I'm questioning. I had a mother tell me her son got a concussion at practice because he was tired when he got home and still tired the next day. We weren't in pads yet and all we did was cardio. I told her it's not a concussion your son is just too fat.

No I get the stupidity of the parents it's the biomechanics I'm questioning. I had a mother tell me her son got a concussion at practice because he was tired when he got home and still tired the next day. We weren't in pads yet and all we did was cardio. I told her it's not a concussion your son is just too fat.

You know the new definition of a concussion is such that a child can get a concussion from running. Every year I get one kid who says I told my parents I have a headache, they go to the dr, dr says concussion, out for 2 weeks.

yes - while the team might need to improve overall stamina & conditioning - it likely is not "Weak, Average, Strong" at work here - and need to not view those who are in the hospital as 'weak' - really they are all likely to be considered reasonably 'strong' - there is a range of body types and muscle structures on any team & variation from position to position - so a very, very grueling routine that tests the limits of player "A" may, if not closely supervised & athlete matched , - dangerously exceed the limits of player "B" - and that does not make player "B' - 'weak'

the issues are probably spread across:
- New strength coach putting in place new routines - routines that may be unfamiliar
- forging ahead with unfamiliar routines that appear to be exploring capability limits - testing the upper potential of all of the players - ( "undergoing grueling workouts") with a somewhat unfamiliar group of athletes - coaching & training staff possibly not full aquatinted with details regarding each player.
- players fighting to retain their position - eager to demonstrate their worth and abilities to the new regime - and doing so while pushing beyond past levels / & trying to prove things to new staff -

Reactions: MozRU
It's a different world.

Reminds me of when our esteemed successful social experiment AD suspended our coach because parents said the players were being abused. The abuse? They used different helmets for practice than the ones they liked.
Yea and that social experiment AD will be hard pressed to find a job in college sports, while Brecht could potentially have RU on pace for its most successful lax season ever.

People gonna get fired. Tulane fired their head strength coach this week beciase a parent complained she made her son run as a punishment. He was an hour late to practice.
If that's true, the parent should be fired, not the coach.

will be a long long time before we see the last of the 'Helicopter" parents - too many of them

... and at the same time there still is a very small group ( a group that you would think would have totally vanished) of some coaches who find some value in doing stupid risky things like - "OK on this hot day we will have a challenge to see who can run the longest with having to stop and drink water"

You know the new definition of a concussion is such that a child can get a concussion from running. Every year I get one kid who says I told my parents I have a headache, they go to the dr, dr says concussion, out for 2 weeks.
Under the new guidelines I'm pretty sure I've gotten concussions taking a dump

Reactions: gef21
ADVERTISEMENT