ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gyms Open Tuesday

How are they going to measure 25% capacity? Persons per square feet? My gym has extremely high ceilings which means that it has a ridiculous amount of interior square feet. That means it will almost never reach 25% capacity.

How are they going to measure 25% capacity? Persons per square feet? My gym has extremely high ceilings which means that it has a ridiculous amount of interior square feet. That means it will almost never reach 25% capacity.

I would guess 25% of the fire department max capacity number is how it works.

I was at the Quakerbridge mall tonight. A lot of the smaller stores had people counters at the doors and at least 2 stores had signs saying they had reached max capacity and to please wait before entering.

Reactions: Leonard23

at first I can see gyms having sign up periods for when you could be in the gym

Reactions: Leonard23
at first I can see gyms having sign up periods for when you could be in the gym

For sure. Lifetime has already said classes would require reservations as well. No walk-ins. Extended times between classes so the equipment can be cleaned.

My 87y/o mother just started going back to the gym in Long Island after beinghhome since March. She said there were 8 total people at her 2 story Planet Fitness today. She also brought her own bottle of disinfectant to clean the equipment. While the gyms were closed she was walking 4 miles every day. Makes me feel like a slug...

Last edited:
For sure. Lifetime has already said classes would require reservations as well. No walk-ins. Extended times between classes so the equipment can be cleaned.

My 87y/o mother just started going back to the gym in Long Island after beinghhome since March. She said there were 8 total people at her 2 story Planet Fitness today. She also brought her own bottle of disinfectant to clean the equipment. While the gyms were closed she was walking 4 miles every day. Makes me feel like a slug...
God Bless her!

They were locked down by the cops and given a summons for being open. It is the same situation as the gym that has been in the news. The owner of the diner refuses to close. The guy running against cory booker is now using it for a campaign headquarters so it can remain open.

They should have and shut the water and power off to both of these businesses.

Reactions: Greg2020
I am wondering how monthly memberships will work. I go to Retro Fitness, so its usually very busy at peak times. Will they start auto billing immediately? I just run on the treadmill and am debating going back because shin splints from the asphalt running are killing me. But reserving a time is not really how I workout, I squeeze in visits when I can typically so this will be tough.

I read a story on Restaurant Nicholas in the APP. They claim to be in compliance for indoor dining because they can open two walls to the outside. They also have patio capacity. I have not seen their set-up in person.

Another restaurant down the shore received some complaints as well, but was in compliance because they had at least two walls open. A place like Harvest Moon in New Brunswick can't open indoor because they are only able to open the one wall facing George Street. They have been doing outdoor though. https://www.app.com/story/entertain...cholas-barrel-roost-indoor-dining/5632564002/
The city has been closing off that section of George St (from Rt 27 to Livingston Avenue) on Friday and Saturday nights to allow for extended seating into the street for all of the restaurants.

Reactions: Greg2020 and RUPete
Yes I do think that is the restaurant.
I read a story on Restaurant Nicholas in the APP. They claim to be in compliance for indoor dining because they can open two walls to the outside. They also have patio capacity. I have not seen their set-up in person.

Another restaurant down the shore received some complaints as well, but was in compliance because they had at least two walls open. A place like Harvest Moon in New Brunswick can't open indoor because they are only able to open the one wall facing George Street. They have been doing outdoor though. https://www.app.com/story/entertain...cholas-barrel-roost-indoor-dining/5632564002/

seems Mr. Murphy was at his favorite dining establishment again last night and the police were called. Based on this article and the fact that it's now being bumped up to the county prosecutors office, I don't think Restaurant Nicholas is in compliance with the executive order

seems Mr. Murphy was at his favorite dining establishment again last night and the police were called. Based on this article and the fact that it's now being bumped up to the county prosecutors office, I don't think Restaurant Nicholas is in compliance with the executive order

I guess that's for the authorities to determine, just reporting what I read at the time. I know that I asked the question about Harvest Moon in NB and was told that you need at least two open walls. BTW, NB has been doing a great job with outdoor dining on weekends.

Reactions: MrsScrew
The city has been closing off that section of George St (from Rt 27 to Livingston Avenue) on Friday and Saturday nights to allow for extended seating into the street for all of the restaurants.
Yes- it has been very popular. In addition to that, Old Man Rafferty's and Salt have been sharing the Kilmer Square Park area for outdoor dining.

I am wondering how monthly memberships will work. I go to Retro Fitness, so its usually very busy at peak times. Will they start auto billing immediately? I just run on the treadmill and am debating going back because shin splints from the asphalt running are killing me. But reserving a time is not really how I workout, I squeeze in visits when I can typically so this will be tough.
Very good questions.

Different gym/franchise, but I am in the same boat.

I guess that's for the authorities to determine, just reporting what I read at the time. I know that I asked the question about Harvest Moon in NB and was told that you need at least two open walls. BTW, NB has been doing a great job with outdoor dining on weekends.

Chris Paladino from NB DEVCO said that they are going to continue this going forward because it has been so successful.

Reactions: goru1869
I think it would be a good idea- it's not just food, there's music, street art, etc. September should be a pretty good month for this.

The executive order is until Thanksgiving if I recall correctly. Which might be pushing it weather wise, but if you can add that to lets say 33% capacity indoors, could make this more tenable for restaurants assuming a few hardy souls will bundle up for a night out. But it has definitely turned downtown New Brunswick into a nice place to be in the Summer, and people in the city are thrilled with how it turned out.

The executive order is until Thanksgiving if I recall correctly. Which might be pushing it weather wise, but if you can add that to lets say 33% capacity indoors, could make this more tenable for restaurants assuming a few hardy souls will bundle up for a night out. But it has definitely turned downtown New Brunswick into a nice place to be in the Summer, and people in the city are thrilled with how it turned out.
It will be tough beyond mid-to-late October. I hope they can be offering at least some inside dining by then.

Very good questions.

Different gym/franchise, but I am in the same boat.

25% capacity, 50% monthly membership fee perhaps? I wouldn't object to that at all even if I'm not able to get in with any regularity. Granted, I am at a cheap $20 a month place. If i were paying $100 & up for a pricey place and couldn't get in, I would probably cancel if they were still charging even half price.

I feel for the owners and don't envy this new predicament whatsoever.

It will be tough beyond mid-to-late October. I hope they can be offering at least some inside dining by then.

Agreed. The problem is a nicer restaurant probably isn't worth opening at even 50% capacity, definitely not at 25%. Need to combine it with outdoors to give them a shot and pray for mild weather. Even if you can squeeze out 2 nights a weekend Thurs-Sunday, that can make a huge difference.

When I said going forward I meant in future years. Summer time outdoor dining and entertainment in NB.

Did murphy call his tattle tall / spy on your neighbor phone number to report these people dining inside ? And since he did let them dine inside he is guilty of allowing people to break his own EO. Once again HE is a knucklehead !

I would assume half the membership will either quit or not go for a few months. Even before the mask announcement in March, people stopped attending. I plan to go to the gym early or when it’s not busy. Mid day is less busy 11 am -3pm.

Reactions: Greg2020
Any word on restaurants?
sadly, no. the article says he's holding off on restaurants and movies because you have to take your mask off to eat.
My guess is once the summer season dies down at the shore, indoor dining will be permitted by Burgomaster Murphy
Perfect timing after the restaurant owners have lost their prime season to make money.
Poor restaurateurs.

"Murphy was asked Wednesday during his latest coronavirus briefing in Trenton whether rumors are true about a Sept. 14 or 15 target date for the state to allow limited indoor dining.

The governor said he “hadn’t heard” that date but stressed “I hope it’s before then.”

“I hope that we’ve got some indoor dining before then,” Murphy said. “I’m not hanging my hat on it. I’m not trying to make news. That’s not a date I’m using at least.”

But, he said, “if data we look at stays as good as it is, I hope we beat that date.”

The governor also said it’s likely movie theaters will be allowed to reopen in New Jersey at the same time."

Reactions: Knight Shift
I would assume half the membership will either quit or not go for a few months. Even before the mask announcement in March, people stopped attending. I plan to go to the gym early or when it’s not busy. Mid day is less busy 11 am -3pm.

Quitting gyms is easier said then done, at least at Retro. I know I didn't read the contract so I don't know what the expectation is, but I've heard horror stories. So much of their profit margin is reliant on people paying and not coming.

Quitting gyms is easier said then done, at least at Retro. I know I didn't read the contract so I don't know what the expectation is, but I've heard horror stories. So much of their profit margin is reliant on people paying and not coming.

Same at NY Sports. How they are able to get away with that is astonishing.

Reactions: megadrone
Agree, they should keep it long term. Sometimes I wonder if those restaurants did better this summer than last.
From those that I have to talked to, the summer set-up has helped, but it's still a challenge and you are dependent on the weather. Also, don't forget that you lose the weekend bar/drinks business.

Reactions: Knight Shift
@BigLou I stopped by the Mt. Laurel Life Time on my way home today to get a sense of what is going on. They should be sending an email out tomorrow about the regs but;

bikes/treadmills/elliptical are all every other
I was told there are extra hand sanitizer stands spread throughout and there are more disinfectant stations.
They have bottles of disinfectant for you to use on equipment as well
Showers will be allowed as they are currently being used by the people using the pool.
when you walk in they have this fancy temperature scanner thing...you fit your face into the profile and it takes your temperature. anything over 100.4 and you are out. While I was there a woman came in with 2 small children in a stroller, the receptionist went and took the temp of both kids.

as far as the 25% is concerned they are not basing it on the fire department max numbers. I was told that they are looking at their daily averages and using that for their number. She said that based on what is happening in the PA Life Time gyms they don't expect to reach the 25% number any time soon.

Reactions: BigLou

"Murphy was asked Wednesday during his latest coronavirus briefing in Trenton whether rumors are true about a Sept. 14 or 15 target date for the state to allow limited indoor dining.

The governor said he “hadn’t heard” that date but stressed “I hope it’s before then.”

“I hope that we’ve got some indoor dining before then,” Murphy said. “I’m not hanging my hat on it. I’m not trying to make news. That’s not a date I’m using at least.”

But, he said, “if data we look at stays as good as it is, I hope we beat that date.”

The governor also said it’s likely movie theaters will be allowed to reopen in New Jersey at the same time."
So basically when Cuomo (and NOT DeBlasio) decides it’s okay for indoor eating in NYC it will be okay here. Got it.👍

Reactions: RU Golfer
@BigLou I stopped by the Mt. Laurel Life Time on my way home today to get a sense of what is going on. They should be sending an email out tomorrow about the regs but;

bikes/treadmills/elliptical are all every other
I was told there are extra hand sanitizer stands spread throughout and there are more disinfectant stations.
They have bottles of disinfectant for you to use on equipment as well
Showers will be allowed as they are currently being used by the people using the pool.
when you walk in they have this fancy temperature scanner thing...you fit your face into the profile and it takes your temperature. anything over 100.4 and you are out. While I was there a woman came in with 2 small children in a stroller, the receptionist went and took the temp of both kids.

as far as the 25% is concerned they are not basing it on the fire department max numbers. I was told that they are looking at their daily averages and using that for their number. She said that based on what is happening in the PA Life Time gyms they don't expect to reach the 25% number any time soon.

PA gym attendance is that low? Is Lifetime higher end than a Retro? I guess I really don't know what I'd expect but that surprises me.

PA gym attendance is that low? Is Lifetime higher end than a Retro? I guess I really don't know what I'd expect but that surprises me.

Lifetime is very high end. Indoor pool outdoor pool, kids camp, all kinds of classes... Free and some are extra fees. Hair/nail salon & Cafe on site as well. Depending on the location of the gym monthly fees range from $100-$170 a month. I'm fortunate.. My company pays for all but $30 of the fee.

Last edited:
Reactions: King of S
ADVERTISEMENT