ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hafley to BC??

mikemarc1

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2005
Lots of smoke. Boston Herald reporting he’s their number 1 target.

longtime sports scribe mark blaudschun saying deal could be announced this weekend.

Fantastic hire for BC, if true.

That would be bad for RU recruiting. NJ will be first place they go

It’s all about winning. Greg has to win..and we’ll outrevruit BC. They are more successful than us..they outrecruit us. Very simple

giphy.gif

I don't think BC is paying enough to pull him off Ohio State before the playoff.

I’d be surprised. I was told If RU called he’d want same type of commitment Schiano wanted. Can’t see BC doing that

Without a Flutie type player football will always be second to hockey.

Personally I don't care nor do I worry about who is at other schools. We got the guy I wanted and I have confidence with him being able to sell the B1G 10 to recruits and we'll get more then our share no matter who is at BC, Syracuse, Temple or FDU-Madison.

If OSU wins it all, Hafley could be running a blue blood program a year from now.

This is the path I would expect him to take whether or not OSU wins it all.
Blue bloods very seldomly hire assistants from another program. I can't think of one instance in recent history that that's happened. They always expect the coordinator to go to a place like BC to see if they can cut their teeth first.

Blue bloods very seldomly hire assistants from another program. I can't think of one instance in recent history that that's happened. They always expect the coordinator to go to a place like BC to see if they can cut their teeth first.

Kirby Smart: Alabama DC to Georgia HC
Jeremy Pruitt: Alabama DC to Tennessee HC

Numerous examples of coordinators and position coaches getting promoted from within, Lincoln Riley, Ed Orgeron, Ryan Day, etc. I think if Hafley holds out one more year, the world will open up for him. I also could understand why he would go to BC if he feels he’s ready and wants to make the step right now.

Bottom line is this, Greg Schiano will not be worried about what Hafley is doing.

I don't think it matters who's hired. They'll always get the same kids. Rich North Jersey kids who aren't good enough to play for Notre Dame.
It’s the parents.

If the kid is second tier, they want to be able to tell people their kid goes to BC.

Even more so if they are Catholic.

It’s also a value proposition. A full ride at Rutgers is worth $ and a full ride to BC is worth $$.

If the kid is first tier, it’s typically PSU, ND, or Stanford depending on their academic makeup.

Greg’s challenge is to replace PSU in that equation.

Not sure why ppl are concerned.
Hafley recruits NJ right now for OSU
If he gets the job he will recruit NJ for BC.

Can he sell to BC to recruits better than OSU?
or is it he will now recruit 3 star recruits from NJ as we are?

Either way Greg has to out recruit him for both 3&4* recruits of he is going to turn it around here.

I think there should be some level of concern about this and I would prefer it not happen. Maybe he gets a better offer in a year but if OSU wins today his stock will trading pretty high. He is familiar with the northeast and given his proven recruiting abilities, he could build the BC program up rather quickly in an ACC that has a lot of mediocre programs. Still a pretty young guy who could use this as a stepping stone to his final destination.

Maybe Greg would win his share of battles against Haf, but that was not the case when he was an assistant at Pitt and our recruiting clearly ticked up when joined us for a year. I also believe that in the short term, we would be recruiting more directly against him if at BC then if he stays at OSU given the current state of our program.

I would also wonder if they would be interested in some of the same individuals to build a staff. Now I know we have increased the budget, but I hope we start getting guys in place after these championship games are played this weekend. Probably a lot of assistants are playing the waiting game until the HC carousel slows down.

Reactions: JQRU91
I don't think it matters who's hired. They'll always get the same kids. Rich North Jersey kids who aren't good enough to play for Notre Dame.
With a bona fide recruiter like Hafley there, they’ll be able to get the kid who is good enough to play for Notre Dame. That’s the difference.

Not all of them — some will still want want to try themselves out at the biggest places, and Schiano will get some, too, I’m sure. But he’d complicate things for you guys at least to some degree. On the other hand, BC is no one’s dream job, and if he wins, he’ll move on.

Reactions: bmanning2000
I’d be surprised. I was told If RU called he’d want same type of commitment Schiano wanted. Can’t see BC doing that
I was wondering about that...some here who know him were like he wouldn't come here and would want a lot and then if that was true why would he go to BC. Same for Elko too who is also another name mentioned with BC.

Jeff would be an interesting hire for BC.

Since Jeff is now 40, I think he has to think that now may be the time to make the move to a HC position. He was at Pitt for 5 years and I really liked and respected him and was sorry he left (Wannstedt termination mistake) for Rutgers.
Prior to the Greg hiring the word on the Board was that Jeff may have been in discussions for the Rutgers job.

I don't think the Greg (#2) hire was a bad move for Rutgers but you never know (time will tell).
Sometimes a sure thing does not always work out.

Pitt had a similar experience many years ago. A young energetic John Majors came to Pitt and in 4 years amassed a 33-13-1 record that led to a National Championship in 1976. Many years latter an older John Majors (many Pitt fans/alums were happy) returned to Pitt but after 4 years had a 12-32 record and resigned.

Hopefully, Greg #2 will have a better result than John #2.

Also successful OC/DC do not always make the transition to a successful HC.
Case in point Pitt OC Paul Hackett was not successful as a HC at Pitt. Then went to USC and was not successful as a HC there.

I think it is time for Jeff to make the move to HC.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
I was wondering about that...some here who know him were like he wouldn't come here and would want a lot and then if that was true why would he go to BC. Same for Elko too who is also another name mentioned with BC.
I think when it’s all said and done BC will make an underwhelming hire

Yeah, I was agreeing more with the premise he’d wait another year before making the leap than he’d go to a blue blood, but I was assuming he’d aspire to a better P5 gig than BC.

The one thing Fredo has going for it is they are in the midst of a $200mm facilities upgrade as well. They just finished a $52mm indoor practice field house last year so they can point to their investments to show their commitment to success. I'd be a little surprised if it was Hafley but it wouldn't be like he's taking an AAC job.

The one thing Fredo has going for it is they are in the midst of a $200mm facilities upgrade as well. They just finished a $52mm indoor practice field house last year so they can point to their investments to show their commitment to success. I'd be a little surprised if it was Hafley but it wouldn't be like he's taking an AAC job.

This is a great point and why things may be different at BC this time. I heard Fish, who the indoor facility is named after and is a former player is intimately involved and they are opening the purse for the assistant coaches too, which always a sticking point at BC. Guy runs a multi billion dollar construction company and private jet was in Columbus.

Reactions: bmanning2000
They built their facility for $52MM in Boston and Schiano needs $150MM?

Not sure why ppl are concerned.
Hafley recruits NJ right now for OSU
If he gets the job he will recruit NJ for BC.

Can he sell to BC to recruits better than OSU?
or is it he will now recruit 3 star recruits from NJ as we are?

Either way Greg has to out recruit him for both 3&4* recruits of he is going to turn it around here.

If Hafley leaves OSU, someone else will recruit NJ, and they will still be OSU.

Reactions: MADHAT1 and Block R
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT