ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hamilton

chickenpatty2

Senior
Mar 21, 2013
Disney+
Streaming for free.
Filmed live, over the course of a couple shows during the early run with the original cast.

If you've seen the show, I'm sure you'll love it.
If you haven't seen the show but wanted to, I'm sure you'll love it.
If you were never interested in seeing the show, but want to see what all the "hype" was about, I think you'll love it.

All "art" is original, but not all art reinvents the way you think and experience something. This show does that on so many levels.

Enjoy, and be well.

Disney+
Streaming for free.
Filmed live, over the course of a couple shows during the early run with the original cast.

If you were never interested in seeing the show, but want to see what all the "hype" was about, I think you'll love it.

All "art" is original, but not all art reinvents the way you think and experience something. This show does that on so many levels.

Enjoy, and be well.
Fun show, saw it on Broadway last year (finally). I'm a history buff and a huge AH fan going back to my college days (dual degree ChemE and history). AH was one of our most influential founding fathers. A truly great, yet flawed man.

Will watch it again. We have Disney+ already.

Reactions: okieKnight908
Disney+
Streaming for free.

Enjoy, and be well.
Not free. You have to be a Disney+ subscriber.

I tried to watch an excellent recording I have but the constant nursery school rhyming was stultifying. I sill haven't heard a song from the show that fits the hype. I don't think its awful but I cant find anything amazing about it

Reactions: miketd1 and RU82
If I have this correct, Hamilton married a woman whose family had slaves, and Hamilton liked hanging with rich folks.
Hamilton and Adams were the only 2 main FFs that were consistently anti-slavery. Both were ahead of the times.

Fun show, saw it on Broadway last year (finally). I'm a history buff and a huge AH fan going back to my college days (dual degree ChemE and history). AH was one of our most influential founding fathers. A truly great, yet flawed man.

I saw the show as well a couple years back. Not typically something I'd say yes to(more of a Lion King type of gal) but in the end I'm glad I went.

If I have this correct, Hamilton married a woman whose family had slaves, and Hamilton liked hanging with rich folks.

He was also wary of haphazard importation of foreigners - contrary to the "impressions" given by the play.

“The safety of a republic depends essentially on the energy of a common national sentiment; on a uniformity of principles and habits; on the exemption of the citizens from foreign bias, and prejudice; and on that love of country which will almost invariably be found to be closely connected with birth, education, and family...foreigners will generally be apt to bring with them attachments to the persons they have left behind; to the country of their nativity, and to its particular customs and manners...it is unlikely that they will bring with them that temperate love of liberty, so essential to real republicanism.”

The only post if yours I’ve ever agreed with. It is a fantastic show. I’m watching the live version now.

There is a plaque on the Old Queen's campus telling of how Hamilton and his canon brigade held the British on the other side of the Raritan while Washington retreated to Trenton. That's why it's called Hamilton Street.

Is that why the other side of the river is called Piscataway?

Disney+
Streaming for free.

If you were never interested in seeing the show, but want to see what all the "hype" was about, I think you'll love it

Enjoy, and be well.

What is you haven't seen it, never intend to see it and couldn't care less about the hype ?

What is you haven't seen it, never intend to see it and couldn't care less about the hype ?

To each his/her own, of course, but I do feel sad for folks that have some sort of pre-conceived notion of this show. Setting aside the specifics of THIS particular story, if you (or anyone) has any inclination toward:

* storytelling
* clever lyrics
* different types of music (not only hip-hop)
* the visual aspect of seeing a story told on a stage, with all its moving parts
* interesting audio effects
* love, betrayal, battle, family, debate
* a story told by players (people of color) that represent those that were a large part of the actual story yet have never been seen as major figures in the story
* emotion, anguish, joy, laughter

I want you to think about something . . . ANYTHING . . . that you have experienced in your life that has "broken new ground" for you. Maybe you hadn't heard any "new" music that really woke you up from your childhood, and all of a sudden a band came out with a new album that just opened your eyes to something that "re-invented" music to you. Or maybe you saw a film that did that for you, or maybe you traveled somewhere that was a completely new experience for you . . . or even a new thrill ride at an amusement park that totally blew you away. This play does that. If you have no interest, then nothing anybody can do to convince you otherwise. Not blaming you, of course, that's just how it goes. Maybe having a family member involved in theater gives a different perspective on things. Not sure. I think you're missing out of something special.

I tried to watch an excellent recording I have but the constant nursery school rhyming was stultifying. I sill haven't heard a song from the show that fits the hype. I don't think its awful but I cant find anything amazing about it
I've wondered for years, is your board handle a reference to the theme song of Ken Burns Civil War documentary?

To each his/her own, of course, but I do feel sad for folks that have some sort of pre-conceived notion of this show. Setting aside the specifics of THIS particular story, if you (or anyone) has any inclination toward:

* storytelling
* clever lyrics
* the visual aspect of seeing a story told on a stage, with all its moving parts
* a story told by players (people of color) that represent those that were a large part of the actual story yet have never been seen as major figures in the story

I want you to think about something . . . ANYTHING . . . that you have experienced in your life that has "broken new ground" for you. Maybe you hadn't heard any "new" music that really woke you up from your childhood, and all of a sudden a band came out with a new album that just opened your eyes to something that "re-invented" music to you. Or maybe you saw a film that did that for you, or maybe you traveled somewhere that was a completely new experience for you . . . or even a new thrill ride at an amusement park that totally blew you away. This play does that. If you have no interest, then nothing anybody can do to convince you otherwise. Not blaming you, of course, that's just how it goes. Maybe having a family member involved in theater gives a different perspective on things. Not sure. I think you're missing out of something special.

Lol

I am planning to give it a watch tonight. I am expecting a heavy leftist indoctrination, like a 10 out of 10. I would be pleasantly surprised if it were only eight out of 10.
Just got done watching. For me it was very hard to follow along with the story. Luckily I'm a history buff so could infer kind of where they were at in the story. Otherwise trying to hear what they were saying while they were singing was impossible and most times I felt lost. My wife loves it, I watched for her, but glad I didn't go to Broadway to see it.

O and you have a depraved mind.:)

Last edited:
There's usually some debate on whether or not to see the show prior to listening to the soundtrack a few times. I would strongly recommend listening through a few times so you know the songs and know the storyline -- it takes nothing away from seeing it, and it helps a lot, IMO.

Reactions: kmsnyg
I've wondered for years, is your board handle a reference to the theme song of Ken Burns Civil War documentary?

No not directly - I was reading about the Ashokan reservoir when I needed a name lol. I've been there though, and its a really nice place. Jay Ungar, who wrote the Ashokan song, used to live in Ashokan/New Paltz area, and wrote the piece with the area in mind.

IwcR6L9.jpg

Disney+
Streaming for free.

Enjoy, and be well.

Watching it now... very much deserving of the accolades.

* storytelling
* clever lyrics

Do they blow things up, or are there any car chases? Asking for a friend...

I was lucky enough to see it in 2015. My wife read an article about it in the NYTimes, and knowing that I’m a American History buff, got us tickets.

I remember saying to her that’s the greatest musical I will ever see.

Took my wife to see the show mid February, likely one of the last few shows before everything shut down. Very, very well done. Is it great? I'm not sure. Unique? Without a doubt. You cant leave without appreciating the hundreds of hours the performers and behind the scenes people put in. It takes some getting used to the way the songs are sung/rapped. By the second or third number you get into it and the lyrics are extremely well done. But I do remember thinking I'm not sure if this show is for everyone, things move fast and your'e doing a lot of thinking back to middle school history during the show. It's without a doubt a style that's never been done before and I can see how people love it. The King was the highlight for me, loved his part.

Watched tonight. Powerful from my couch...can only imagine the experience in person.

Just got done watching. For me it was very hard to follow along with the story. Luckily I'm a history buff so could infer kind of where they were at in the story. Otherwise trying to hear what they were saying while they were singing was impossible and most times I felt lost. My wife loves it, I watched for her, but glad I didn't go to Broadway to see it.

O and you have a depraved mind.:)
You are not alone. This guy Dr. David Banner posts a lot of interesting stuff on Twitter.

Despite your review, and Dr. David Banner's, will try to give it a shot.

ADVERTISEMENT