ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Happy 97th Birthday Mel Brooks (2023)

God bless you Mel Brooks and happy birthday. Thanks for some of the greatest laughing I have ever done.

"Affairs of state must take precedent over, uh, the affairs of state."
blazingsaddles_gov

Listen to a Brooks interview sometime. Richard Pryor co wrote it. It was a screwball comedy with a 70's message.Just like All in the Family. .Brooks and Norman Lear and Richard Pryor were making some in your face points..Would it make it today ? Of course not. It's been done. Unfortunately the same points they were trying to make in this flick are still being ignored by some of us today.

Reactions: Kbee3
Listen to a Brooks interview sometime. Richard Pryor co wrote it. It was a screwball comedy with a 70's message.Just like All in the Family. .Brooks and Norman Lear and Richard Pryor were making some in your face points..Would it make it today ? Of course not. It's been done. Unfortunately the same points they were trying to make in this flick are still being ignored by some of us today.
"Where the white women at."

Last edited:
Brooks and Norman Lear and Richard Pryor were making some in your face points..Would it make it today ? Of course not. It's been done. Unfortunately the same points they were trying to make in this flick are still being ignored by some of us today.
Nonsense. The humor worked then because bigotry was in your face then. White, black, Jewish, gay, etc.. the bigotry was everywhere and everyone could see it. Now it is practically non-existent and most people know that. So humor aimed at that.. like your accusations that people have ignored the message.. just doesn't make any sense beyond virtue-signaling.. which is a ridiculous practice.

Happy Birthday Mel.

Always thought that his wife was one of the sexiest women around.

"Mrs. Robinson you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?"

bancroft_200-7325a3199a300d57a42a6e314b0d971f50a81f1b-s800-c85.jpg
While I kinda get it... c'mon now.. with the daughter in play... Dustin Hoffman was an idiot.
ba065324b7a31f05817631128d71f241.jpg

I would prefer to call it the best of both worlds!:WideSmile:

The Graduate released in late 1967 about a recently graduated, confused college student who has an affair with an older woman and then falls in love with her college student-daughter. Their actually ages in 1967:

36 - Ann Bancroft
30 - Dustin Hoffman
27 - Katherine Ross

Let's hope nobody under 30 ever discovers his work. I like having the ability to find it on on-demand.

Richard Pryor also wrote the most important sketch in this history of SNL (the job interview sketch with Chevy Chase) and they could never, ever show it on TV today because the country has lost its collective mind.

While I kinda get it... c'mon now.. with the daughter in play... Dustin Hoffman was an idiot.
ba065324b7a31f05817631128d71f241.jpg

Katherine Ross was so beautiful and talented but outside of The Graduate and Butch she never had another big movie. Look at her IMDB page and she was always working, made a lot of movies, but no real hits.

The Graduate released in late 1967 about a recently graduated, confused college student who has an affair with an older woman and then falls in love with her college student-daughter. Their actual ages in 1967:

36 - Ann Bancroft
30 - Dustin Hoffman
27 - Katherine Ross
I have a habit of figuring out all the "old" characters from the TV shows of my youth who I am not older than.

Archie Bunker was introduced to us in 1971. Carrol OConnor was born in 1924.. he was 47 in 1971.

I recently made it to "Uncle Joe who was moving kinda slow at the Junction, Petticoat Junction"... which aired first in 1963 when Edgar Buchanan was 60.

Older than Jed Clampett
Older than Matlock (60)

Barnaby Jones... still working on that.. 68 was Ebsen when that started. He was 54 when Beverly Hillbilles started.

Still remember the days when we'd check the playboy centerfolds to see if they were younger than we were. By the time that happened regularly, magazines had little attraction compared to the real thing.

As for fictional characters.. Ebenezer Scrooge was in his late 50s.

The Graduate released in late 1967 about a recently graduated, confused college student who has an affair with an older woman and then falls in love with her college student-daughter. Their actually ages in 1967:
36 - Ann Bancroft
30 - Dustin Hoffman
27 - Katherine Ross

In 1987's "Dirty Dancing" Patrick Swayze is suppose to be 25-year old dance instructor at an upscale Catskill Resort and Jennifer Grey (Baby) is suppose to be 17. Their real ages:

35 - Patrick Swayze
27 - Jennifer Grey

Happy Birthday to the man who brought the world spoofs of movies
like these
Blazing Saddles (1974), History of the World: Part I (1981), Silent Movie (1976), Young Frankenstein (1974), Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993), High Anxiety (1977), Dracula: Dead and Loving It (1995), and Spaceballs (1987).

Reactions: Knight Shift
He made hilarious funny movies in a time when we all could make fun of ourselves and not get offended. The world or at least this country is not a in better place!

Reactions: cicero grimes
My Dad would watch anything Mel Brooks made.
I think that after WWII- that humor just let you escape

ADVERTISEMENT